What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

I agree. They were Anne’s brand.

2 Likes

Wow! Never seen these. You are so lucky!

2 Likes

BF was going to cook but didn’t feel like it, so we went to a new Indian place that I can review. We had all small bites, and a dosa. Chicken 65 was delicious. I’d never heard of this dish before, but apparently it’s quite famous from a hotel in Chennai. Fried tenders, highly spiced, very perfumey, crispy, and juicy. Now I want to try making it at home. Egg bajji (also first time trying) were deep fried hardboiled eggs in a rice batter - meh. Came with a coconut chutney and ketchup. Also had to try the gimmicky Masala fries, which got credit for being just masala spiced, not gloopy-sauced. The dosa was good but we were full by that time and most of it came home with us. i had a decent sparkling malbec (first time I’d even heard of one) that was frosty cold on this hot evening.

tomorrow, bucatini with meat sauce!

16 Likes

Comfort Food 101
Brined rib pork chop grilled with a mustard coating, mashed sweet potato with PSTOB and heavy cream. Sautéed corn, peas , red bell pepper with little slices of sausage and fresh basil.

14 Likes

Christina, thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

This rib pork chop looked really good. Mr n would be glad to eat this!

2 Likes

Not a great pic but I did a quick marinade for some salmon with rice vinegar, soy sauce, siracha, garlic, onions, ginger and brown sugar. Served with sides of sauteed bok choy with garlic, farro and the last of the tomatoes until next year :sob::sob::sob:

18 Likes

That chicken skin crisp/chip looks sooo good. drools

1 Like

Asian dehydrated ones are shiitake mushrooms. I find it funny when the mister shared with me that none of his colleagues touched the dish of Chinese-styled stir-fried mushrooms with broccoli served during the company’s D&D recently. If they were other kinds like those not-so-common mushrooms, I could understand. But they even refused shiitake. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I have a small old-school crockpot from the late 80s too! Passed down from my mum after I got married and moved into the new house so that I could make Chinese boiled soups.

Nowadays I seldom use it, it’s way faster for me to cook miso soups with my LC pot instead. But once a while, I still do my pork ribs soups. :wink:

2 Likes

Been a long day of thunderstorms over in SG. Past few nights were eat-outs with the mister as he had to head back to work through the wee hours after the meals.

He seemed to have fallen ill and most likely caused by lack of proper sleep due to work for past few months. Made this simple soup tonight - ginger slices, cauliflower, chicken wings and glass noodles. Served with white rice, salted edamame and salted saba.

13 Likes

I mostly use mine for 24-hour chicken or beef stock. Occasionally I’ll make Mabel Hoffman’s Crockpot Beef Burgundy in it. But only on weekends, when I’m going to be in the house. The plastic lid is cracked, but I just put a piece of clear packing tape on it and it holds in the steam.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed this.

Yes, this is the same recipe, but I used powdered lemongrass because I was out of fresh, and it tasted very different.

I’ve (successfully) used powdered in curry pastes and soups before, but maybe because there are just two flavors here - ginger and lemongrass - it fell short. Still tasty, just not what I had in mind.

Bone-in thighs, because I had to reheat them and they stay moister with the bone.

1 Like

That looks like comfort in a bowl!

This is exactly where cheese fries lose me…

2 Likes

Messy-delicious paaya (trotter) soup for dinner. With a squeeze of lime and fresh bread to dip into it, that’s it. Sooooooo good :yum:

12 Likes

I did this inside, stove top in my Calphalon Grill Pan… Really worth the $45 and a cinch to clean.

1 Like

I don’t use mine that much any more, but I do have a small and a large. Since I am cooking for just 2 of us, I do use the small one, if I make 1/2 of a pork shoulder, beef stew or beef soup or split pea soup.

Totally agree. Because DH does our outdoor grilling and because he often is in the middle of large ongoing projects, we have gradually abandoned outdoor grilling in favor of grill pans. My loves are (no longer made) by Cosco, enameled cast iron with easy clean grids. Worth picking up at garage or estate sales.

Gorgeous grill marks!

I really need to learn how to use my little LC grill pan properly. I end up with smoke, marinade in the ridges turning black, and then I have to soak it to clean. User error I’m sure.