What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Please share your recipe for the meatballs and noodles. I am always on the lookout for good pasta sauces that aren’t tomato based, as I have a picky eater at home who doesn’t do cooked tomatoes.

2 Likes

DH has also called for a moratorium on tomato sauces. Do realize that I am seldom a recipe cook; I just put together what’s on hand. This plate, as I recall, was simply sauteed meatballs (half of a previous meal’s uncooked and frozen meat mixture), some chopped white onion and garlic, parsley, scatter of herbs des Provence; pan deglazed with ladle of pasta water, big splash of heavy cream, more pasta water to desired consistency. Parsley. Chive on top.

3 Likes

Yes! So delicious. I use the two sheets method too.

1 Like

I’m the same way. Ok - I can do that. The meatballs were pretty light in color. Were they turkey or pork?

2 Likes

I’ve only made mole from scratch once, and I didn’t love my results. I purchased mole spice blends from Mexico City last time I was there and have been using those… but yours makes me want to try from scratch again!

1 Like

da-rool, da-rool!!!

Pork.

1 Like

Whaaat?!!! That photo is the stuff of my dreams! It doesn’t look like a great snack, it looks like the greatest snack… ever! Nice job! They look so perfect I first thought they were store bought, haha - Chicken Skin Brittle! :drooling_face:

P.S. I must disclose that picture isn’t mine. It’s @Saregama’s. I copied and posted it again as a compliment. :wink:

1 Like

I’m starting to realize you’re a bit of an energizer bunny.

This usually ends with “I snuggled in my snuggy with a book and a bowl of soup… that someone else made.”

…not this.

Yum!!!

2 Likes

Mrs P cooks pretty.

1 Like

Fantastic!

I agree with @Saregama. Stay strong, healthy and don’t hesitate to ask folks for help.

1 Like

Nice place cards. Did you print them?

I gotta’ get over to TJs to try those elote-spiced corn chips!

1 Like

Oh nice! Like a homemade, gourmet Hungry-Man dinner.

1 Like

Exactly! Just without the little apple “pie” in the middle that you always went for first and burned your tongue and the roof of your mouth because it was still too damn incendiary!

We were allowed TV dinners a couple times a year growing up - but most importantly, in the autumn in front of the TV on a Sunday evening when the Wizard of Oz was on TV. It’s the ONLY time that we were allowed to eat in front of the TV.

6 Likes

Shhh… that’s me. I pick big toast or crostini with red sauce over pasta any day.

1 Like

My best tip is to use enough chocolate and at the very end, allow time to adjust the salt, sugar and acid. It takes time to find that right balance where it’s sufficiently sweet and salty enough to bring out the chocolate and the spices. If it’s a little bitter, a little acid goes a long way. These will make a huge difference to the final result.

3 Likes

hah! yes, i guess i am, at times… :smile:

1 Like

We made spinach-ricotta gnudi fried in sage butter and lemony grilled pork chops. The toddler, who refuses green veg, ate the gnudi heartily!

19 Likes

Now those are Flan! :yum: The first one looks like Burnt Basque Cheesecake, my latest crush from Republique. You really do special when you cook & celebrate @naf.

1 Like

Great job on those fries. Any tips?