What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Balsamic grilled chicken, mozzarella, and roasted red peppers on foccaccia. BF came through with homemade fries.

13 Likes

Chicken curry with chickpeas and Tuscan kale over brown basmati rice. Curry was helped along by Maya Kaimal’s madras curry jarred sauce, which is outstanding.

12 Likes

I’m thinking you mean me and not digga. My luck with them actually was pretty bad. One year nothing happened. This year, we got about 8 total from 5 plants, and the biggest was smaller than what you could get in a store. The smallest were only about 6" long and an inch in diameter. But I learned a few things (yes, PNW). Start the seeds much earlier. I started in mid April. Will go for early March this year. Plant with space around and in full sun. I had taller plants growing behind them, to economize garden beds, but they threw too much shade. So I guess those are my tips. Weed and compost. Maybe fertilize, which I didn’t. Also I think A trick to growing in the PNW is to get peewee versions of plants, like chilies or mini bells instead of bell peppers, cherry or small tomatoes instead of beefsteak size, because our growing season is short, and we never have as much heat as the nightshades like. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Boneless chicken breast.:confused: I left the skin on and saved the bones. Harrissa rub.

10 Likes

Overturned police cars? Smashed storefront windows and looting mobs? The night lit up with Burning buses?

Have seen worse. After the Forty f’n ‘niners first surprise Super Bowl win in ‘82. :wink:

2 Likes

Quick trip to visit family. So many meals, I keep forgetting to take pics.

I made Chinese one night and Japanese another, using some Chinatown produce I brought with me - no pics of those meals. Pan-fried fresh HK-style noodles topped with mixed mushrooms (, and pea leaves, and Chinese chives. And grilled king oyster and fresh shiitake mushrooms with rare sauce, tsukune, Japanese fried rice, and snow-pea leaves.

A few other meals I did take pics of:

Tandoori chicken, dal fry, palak paneer, chapati.

Goat biryani with onion raita:

Sabudana (sago/tapioca) khichdi (stir-fry with potatoes and peanuts):

18 Likes

Another bowl of carrot ginger soup. Side was a soft pretzel from the freezer and cucumber sticks. I think carrot ginger is one of my new favorite soups. Just leeks or onions, carrots, ginger, orange peel, orange juice, and tumeric all sauteed. Add chicken stock, simmer, then blend it until smooth. I like to finish it with a bit of butter.

6 Likes

omg lucky family!

2 Likes

Yes I did certainly mean you @Sasha! Maybe we’ll try eggplants one more time. We did finally manage to grow large heirloom tomatoes as well as Roma very successfully. We have them next to a fence, which absorbs heat in the day. So, thanks for the tips on the eggplants. Maybe, like the tomatoes they will like being by the fence too.

3 Likes

Lucky me!

3 Likes

The missus & I have both come down with colds. The thing I need in this situation is chicken noodle soup. It has to have lot’s of chilli, garlic & ginger and also veggies. I do have chicken stock in the freezer but when you have a cold it’s a bit of a waste as your sense of taste is too muted if you have a cold, also too much of a faff to make from scratch when your not on top form.

I like to buy a ready made chilled (not tinned) Thai chicken soup and enhance it.
I add the whites of spring onion, carrot & celery and fry, then add red pepper. Add about a litre of chicken stock made with a low salt stock cube and simmer. Then add the Thai chicken soup and some baby corn. At the end sugar snap peas & pre cooked chicken thighs in small pieces. Splosh in Siracha for heat and then some Linghams sweet chilli sauce for more heat but also some sweetness for balance. At the last minute add sliced green parts of spring onions & celery leaves. I served over instant ramen noodles.

It really hit the spot & I knew it was working when the missus had to get tissues for a runny nose.

18 Likes

Sounds like a prescription to wellness! Feel better.

2 Likes

I made Midwestern chicken and dumplings after simmering a good chicken all afternoon. No veg. This is a nostalgic meal for my hubs.

12 Likes

Looks good! Do you have a recipe for the soup?

I tried to look it up, many dumplings looked different from yours. The closest in visual as yours is here:

2 Likes

For the past 2 days, lunch and dinner were simple , fantastic D’Artagnan duck saucisson with aged cheddar cheese, crackers , grapes, and or sandwich using last of the lettuce/Swiss chard from the garden and pesto with thin slices of duck saucisson .
Now, I realize how difficult it is to cook on tight counter space.

Since countertop is being rejuvenated if possible, all items are out of countertop and I try not to use it until worker returns Wednesday, so I do not need not have to clean it again.

So, tonight

stir fry maple duck breast which I cut into strips using my stove top as counter top, marinaded the duck with the usual shrimp paste, black bean and garlic sauce, chili crisp, soy sauce, shiaoxing wine and sesame oil. This was stir fried after caramelizing a vidalla onion, then adding garlic and ginger. Son thought not spicy enough so we add some hot tabasco sauce to it Meat aside, using same wok, added garlic, and stir fried carrots, bell peppers ( from garden) and asparagus, then duct breast back in. This looks almost like what I cooked the other day but this is duck breast instead of chicken breast.

12 Likes

Gad, I love cooking with our Cuisinart Wok!
Tonight: Rice Noodle Stir Fry + Shrimp. + Cashews, + Button Mushrooms, + Diced Celery, + Red Onion, + scattered hen egg + Oyster Sauce / Soy sauce / Sesame Oil…

16 Likes

Here you go. I used pre-made frozen dumplings this time.

I don’t think parsley enhances it, in retrospect.

6 Likes

Left over mahi needed to get used up

88E78E3A-F055-4AA1-B20E-CD48F74E24B6.jpeg

10 Likes

@ChristinaM re Egg Noodle Dumplings, Thanks much for this. These dumplings are a midway between my usual homemade noodles and bread-like dumplings. I think they are cousin of PA Dutch
pot pie noodles.

3 Likes

Dungeness crab “Louis”

Meatballs and noodles

18 Likes