What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Mrs. P made her delicious duck leg confit tostado with a side of roasted delicata squash salad :yum:There were too many ingredients to mention :slightly_smiling_face: We had a nice Tempranillo to go with it (not pictured).

17 Likes

Just watched a video of Chuck Berry, so I’ll steal from him:

Good golly, Miss Molly!

4 Likes

Just seeing this evening, @corvette_johnny, sorry! It was a chick flick called “The Italian Key”. No one of note in it, not very well written, choppily directed, but one of those “I don’t need a brain to watch it” type of movies.

3 Likes

Quick something for everyone: leftover chickpeas, sweet potato fries, breaded nuggets. Meh.

8 Likes

Scallops in some reconstituted saffron cream sauce, leftover reheated Israeli couscous, and newly steamed green beans.

Wine and a movie called “A Street Cat Named Bob” on Amazon Prime.

12 Likes

We had another awesome dinner at Laurel and Sage. Below is a link to the details and pictures in case anyone is interested.

3 Likes

Life and cooking have been a bit interesting in the last few weeks. Both my dad and father-in-law were diagnosed with stage 4 cancer three days apart. So we’ve been trying to make and deliver food, support, and lots of love. Yesterday we finally made some time for us and had friends over for dinner. Starter was a bit of carrot ginger soup left over from our morning delivery to the in laws. Then a roasted veggie salad dressed with a roasted tomato garlic dressing, and a flat bread with potato slices, rosemary, bacon, buffalo mozzarella, and Calabrian chili’s.

18 Likes

Words fall short. Strength to all of you.

Re making and delivering food, as well as errands and things that can seem too much in these situations, there are many helpful sites these days (Care Calendar, Meal Train, Sign Up Genius) that assist in organizing help offered by friends, extended family, and community in a non-intrusive way. It could be meals waiting on the doorstep on long hospital days, doing a grocery or drug store run, or mundane little things that pile up. Someone not you - a close friend perhaps - can manage it too.

9 Likes

That is devastating - I am so sorry. I am sure they both appreciate your care and wonderful home cooking in this difficult time.

3 Likes

I’m glad you were able to have a spot of time for something normal and enjoyable and nourishing for body and soul.

I’m sorry you and your family are going through this. Be open to any and all avenues of help. I hope the situations go well. Don’t forget to take are of you too!

4 Likes

so sorry to hear about that
My thoughts are with you
I went thru this ordeal 7 years ago

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this, I do hope you are taking care of your selves as well as your family.

3 Likes

It’s great that you are able to lend helping hands. So sorry for this difficult time.

Dinner sounds wonderful as always.

2 Likes

We brought corn chowder to a friends’ potluck - with chopped bacon, scallions, elote-spiced corn chips, and extra-sharp cheddar as toppings. It complimented the chili our friends made perfectly!

13 Likes

I am having my granite countertop resealed. 9 hours after, up to 3600 grit sandpaper, coated with for Italian Diamond wax . resealed X3 with Dupont bulletproof sealer, center island ( 157" by 51")

still not shiny. .

Everything was taken out of kitchen countertop except gaggia academia coffee machine.

So, son’s friends who were invited for the weekend had to eat grilled sausages outdoor and Popeye’s friend chicken for lunch , cheese crackers with grapes, cauliflower with turmeric and for dinner, king crab legs with garlic butter , all sorts of desserts ( from guests ) and tiramisu , french macarons ( cannot find pictures) etc

So, worker returns on Wednesday to work on the other part of the kitchen countertop but though it is a bigger area, plus the bar, it did not get the wear and tear that the center island did. Hope it will come out shinier. Getting very nervous about that.

13 Likes

Craving comfort food…so it was meatloaf (with ground beef, pork, and veal) with a Mushroom-Shallot gravy, sour cream mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots. There was wine, most definitely.

13 Likes

My heart goes out to you all. :heart:

2 Likes

I love seeing the old crockpots from the 1970s that cooked at s lower temp than those of more recent decades that cook too quickly. I still have mine from the late 1970s/early 1980s.

6 Likes

No pics tonight.

Left a 40-year olds funeral visitation to stop for a bite at Pat O’Brien’s in beautiful St Clair Shores. DW chose a French Onion Soup. Me? I opted for a cup of NE Clam Chowder. Truly terrific chowder served at the perfect temp. Wifey raved on her Onion Soup.

She ordered a Lake Superior Whitefish with mushrooms & scallions, I rolled back to a Cod Fish & Chips meal beer battered in house.

It was a weepy meal for us both.

http://www.pobtavern.com/

13 Likes

Chilly, rainy day here - chili time! This is a tomato based chili with ground beef, black beans and bits of steak (seared rare and stirred in at the end). Will be served with olive cheese balls. Apple crostata with maple candied pecans to finish.

15 Likes