What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

A break from leftovers. Sunshine yesterday made it possible for me to fill my propane tank which was fortuitous as sockeye salmon was on sale. Sides were sauteed Tuscan kale with Cannellini beans and a tomato, cuke, red onion salad with Balsamic vinegar & oo dressing.

3 Likes

Last night was chicken and leek pie with rosemary and dried porcini. The missus also made individual apple pies with the leftover pastry. Will have those tonight with custard.

For the main tonight it’s a freezer and store cupboard special as we’re moving out in a couple of weeks. Tiger prawns are defrosting. Once thawed I will de -shell and make a stock with the shells and heads , also white wine and thyme. Once reduced I will add to a tomato sauce and then add tinned smoked mussels from the cupboard. Will serve with spaghetti.

5 Likes

Last nights dinner was quite good. I’m now sure the restaurant sauce used veal demi glace and probably roasted shallots. My beef btb was more assertive than I’d like. On of the veggie sides was exceptional. Had decided to roast carrots and some onion which needed using and I spotted some red grapes. Tossed them all with oo, salt, white pepper and a pulverized bay leaf. The combo was so interesting I wish I had doubled it! Other side was my usual sauteed spinach and garlic.

My friends stove has issues and is wildly erratic. I brought over my old flame tamer but it really only fits smallish cookware. Need to find a larger one. It is an impish poltergeist which haunts the stove - have to choose my recipes with care.

Will be home for 2 nights than gone for a week. Late arrival home, unpacking and dealing with cats makes for a long day so it may end up being pizza delivery for dinner tonight.

Hope your weekend is nice !

5 Likes

I usually don’t do the WFD threads but since this is a new board, new start, I’d thought I’d jump in. :smile:

Dinner last night was homemade paneer and potato curry (made spicy with lots of chopped green chilies!), and frozen patra, which is taro leaves rolled up with a chickpea flour batter and seasoned with chilies, shredded coconut, curry leaves and mustard seeds. I heated up some frozen Malaysian paratas to go with the paneer and potato curry.

The curry recipe is from 660 Curries and is one of my all time favorite ways to cook paneer. It’s also one of my 12yo son’s favorite meals – he actually asked for this for his birthday meal last year!

Dinner took 25 minutes to get on the table, start to finish. My kind of weeknight meal.

7 Likes

WFD: ~ Rotisserie Garlicky Chicken and Homemade Gravy. This will be a WF chicken that we’ve had in the past. It’s well cooked, juicy, and tasty, Usually we get 2 or 3 meals from 1 chicken with the carcass being used for stock along with additional bones from our freezer stash.

~ TJ’s Healthy 8 Veggie Mix, sauteed. I like this addition to the winter vegetables. It’s a combination of red and green cabbages, carrots, broccoli, jicama, bell peppers, radishes, and celery. They make a good stir-fry, or any variation one wishes. I’ll make a typical saute of olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, S & P.

Last night’s soup was exceptionally delicious. Although I used black-eyed peas this soup will take many other varieties of pulses as well. There’s enough left for tomorrow night’s meal, augmented with a simple sandwich of some sort it will do quite nicely.
Happy Happy Week-end Everyone!

Lamb Köfte from the other day now simmered in a sauce of tinned whole tomatoes and Turkish red pepper paste. This Turkish paste is a brilliant ingredient and is more of a regional thing in Turkey (from what I’ve read). It has a specific taste and smell. Also, it gives a dish an intense colour. I love this paste. It is readily available, if you have access to Turk grocers.

I ate it with pasta, my partner preferred pita bread.

Here comes the weekend!

5 Likes

The Peruvian chicken itself was just meh for us – tasty, but not all that memorable. Perhaps we need to try a different recipe. That said, the sauce on the side was delish & had a nice kick from 3 whole jalapeños :smile:

Working late again tonight, so dinner for me will be leftover chicken & sauce & salad.

Happy weekend, y’all.

3 Likes

OMGoodness. I love your four year old Sweetheart. I think I will never forget that remark. I’ve never heard anything like it.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner helped to clean out the fridge of most of the leftovers and some bits and bobs of other items.

A big-ass but simple salad was made from torn Romaine lettuce, a half a chicken breast from a few nights ago that was sliced up, a lone carrot that got shaved down, 3 radishes that were sliced up, about 1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese, and a small handful of dried cranberries. Made up a honey-mustard vinaigrette, as the chicken was cooked in a honey-mustard “marinade”.

A crusty buttered roll and a glass of wine alongside. Ahhhh…Friday.

5 Likes

Just a glass? Anyway, the salad is lovely and happy Friday to you, LW!

Last night was out with friends for drinks and snacks- we shared some spicy sweet pocorn, tater tots (of all things!) and pickled veggies.
Two blocks from home i realized i was starving- stopped at the bodega for a fried egg on a roll.

I found this horseradish cilantro pesto recipe the other day and blitzed it together for dinner tonight- added a thick schmear to wedges of roasted kabocha squash. Side of salad of randomness with baked cubed tempeh

1 Like

Yeah! I’m still grinning when I remember the “terrifying quality of McDonald’s”. She has seen Food Inc. or some such documentaries without Frizzle’s knowledge.

2 Likes

Yes, it was the last of the bottle and I didn’t want to open another. It served it’s purpose perfectly - lasted through the salad to the last bite. :slight_smile:

Last night I roasted a whole red snapper [one gorgeous fish!] and served with a shallot-wine-Meyer lemon buerre blanc. On the side a zucchini cake and a huge salad of greens, tomatoes, roasted walnuts, pickled red onions and goat cheese. A very satisfying meal.

I have 3 racks of ribs all rubbed down and we will smoke them tomorrow. Not sure what the sides will be for that meal just yet. Perhaps the One Potato, Two Potato German potato salad along with a cole slaw and another big green salad.

And tonight is still a mystery.

6 Likes

WFD: 1.) Thursday’s Spicy Mexican Black-Eyed Peas Soup, reheated two days later. 2.) Panini with cheddar, chorizo. Mayo inside and outside the slices of focaccia.

The weather where we are seems to be having an early transition into spring. Or. perhaps this is the 2016 version of the January Thaw. Temperature predictions are in the high 40s - middle 50s for the coming days, with rain mid-week.

This sort of change calls for a few meals that mitigate the effect that unsettled weather causes, I think. Meals that cheer us up, so to speak. Hmmmm… that reminds me of something someone said recently.

2 Likes

Tonight is Osso Bucco over homemade fettuccini. Fettuccine in rolled and drying a bit.

Also needed to use the last of the FM cherry tomatoes from last weekend so I roasted them up with some garlic, lemon, and thyme.
Before roasting…

And after…

8 Likes

Excellent menu. Your pasta looks great.

Osso Bucco means post dinner dog treats.

4 Likes

Last night’s dinner was out at my restaurant home-away-from-home. It has been FAR FAR too long, due to various reasons, and it was good to get back there. It was busy for a Saturday night, but we got seats within 5 minutes. Advantage of being a regular. :slight_smile:

The three of us enjoyed large fried prawns with Mojo sauce, Patatas Bravas, beef tenderloin on toast with roasted red peppers, and spicy chicken skewers.

Sangria, mango martinis, and Stella Artois as the libations. And I had a small snifter of Current y Tres. The bar:

And Churros for dessert:

Today’s breakfast was pretty good. Chopped and sauteed some prosciutto I needed to use up, added a couple of whupped eggs (with about a Tbsp of heavy cream whupped in), sprinkled the eggs with green onion and cooked over low heat, stirring occasionally, until just done. Sprinkled with chopped parsley. An English muffin alongside. And CAWFEE. Perhaps a bit too much prosciutto for the amount of eggs, but I needed to get rid of it.

Dinner is already planned, based on a recipe linked on a Facebook group I’m on. Very much looking forward to it.

7 Likes

what does that even mean??

3 Likes