What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Lupini beans are super common here in Portugal. They are a snack to accompany your drink, alcohol that is. Drink a lot and you’ll forget their awful taste :smiley:

I’m not a fan, either. Much prefer favas (also super common in Portuguese cuisine).

2 Likes

I read that they’re popular in Portugal! I don’t remember seeing them when we were there a couple years ago.

gotta love the pup, and good it doesn’t cause her problems, “later”!

1 Like

@Madrid

I fancy shellfish of all types, and yes, we enjoyed them tremendously … Here is another “pintxo” or tapa that we had. ( Restaurant Nerua, The Bilbao Guggenheim Museum )

6 Likes

wow, as I always, I am so impressed by your impromptu cooking skills and combinations. That looks and sounds absolutely delicious, and I hope you get the figs, grapes and cheese soon. You son is missing out on something great, but he gets so wonderful food from you all the time, maybe he’s blissfully innocent.

1 Like

I haven’t been back to Spain since 1984, after living there from 1982-84…I love northern Spain in general and spent a blissful week in Galicia. I’d so love to see that museum…

2 Likes

I only spent a few days in Extremadura in 1983, but it remains one of my favorite regions of Spain…I’d love to go back!

1 Like

@Madrid

You would be quite surprised … It has changed quite alot …

High Speed Trains (AVE) connecting the entire country.
Madrid has an incredible new airport building.
Madrid has a totally renovated underground, considered one of the best in Europe.

We both studied at University in Madrid and have on going professional projects there, though we live in Barcelona.

Are you from Madrid ?

Only wish I was from Madrid! I was a PhD candidate at Stanford in Northern Calif. writing a very complicated dissertation on Goya when I lived in Spain for 2 years, leaving in 1984. I was there across from the Palace Hotel when Felipe Gonzalez and the PSOE won (innocent days then). Calle de las Huertas, just up the hill from the Prado. I did travel to most regions except Valencia and Almeria, for some reason Northern Spain, Galicia, and Extremadura won my heart, as did Madrid, as great as Barcelona is. I haven’t been back very unfortunately since 1984 because first I couldn’t afford it, then I developed arthritis and had several joint replacements, and then adopted a special needs child from foster care. I’ve been in Boston for decades, but really miss Spain and consider it my second home, better than my first. I’d love to experience those high speed trains (which we don’t have in the US). I was there before the rail upgrades and if you got on the slow train between Madrid and Cuenca (love that town and museums) by mistake, you were on it for the day. But the landscape was beautiful, so it as OK.

6 Likes

Not for nothing were Portuguese troops during World War 1 known as the “pork & beans”

Thank you for compliment
I did, ate figs cheese and grapes after but I will have another bowl of congee tonight.
Read about your arthritis. I do have same problems, Had TKA years ago ( 11) , was lucky to have great surgeon , one of the best in the country .
Take care.

1 Like

silly me, I read that as another bowl of cognac, not congee.

1 Like

Really? How apt. I like it. Would be proud to be called that if I were Portuguese.

1 Like

It was a long long long long long day. But it was a REALLY GOOD DAY.

Antique apples picked early this morning at Smolak Farms.

CVS run made.
Books bought for Mom.
Then a visit with Mom.
She’s was in very good spirits.
Always glad when that happens.
She checked out PJs and slippers I had bought for her, and made her choices.
I stayed through her midday dinner.

Then there was more errands and things to do.
Sister’s cats feeding.
Cat litter and cat food for my cats.
Food shopping for myself.
Mailing an anniversary card from Mom and me to my sister and BIL.

Finally…home. PHEW. That was a lot of driving!

Dinner decision was changed on the way home. Went simple with a bacon cheeseburger on a lightly toasted Brioche roll. A spinach salad with homegrown chopped tomatoes, goat cheese, crumbled bacon, and a warm honey-mustard vinaigrette drizzled on top.

Wine.

It was good way to end a good day.

18 Likes

Beer-soaked brisket was excellent. The juices left in the slow cooker made a nice gravy to go with some mashed potatoes. Not very photogenic, so I’ve included pics of two other sides: Jersey Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, and air fryer portobello mushroom fries with garlic aioli.

17 Likes

Stressed and pressed for time ->
Peppers

Scampi style shrimp, spaghetti

14 Likes

We had another great dinner at Drew’s. Below is a link to the details and pictures for anyone that might be interested.

4 Likes

This month has been a bit of a shit show. But, it’s finally cool and I felt the cooking bug again.

Pizza tonight. Fresh mozzarella, crushed tomatoes, oregano, calabrian chilies, and basil.

And my afternoon project was to make fig cookies - from the new season of the Great British Baking Show. I had hoped to make each weeks technical challenge, but life had other plans.

20 Likes

A rerun from last week , except for the green tomato from the garden added to the shellfish. Fabulous. I could eat this every day. Wine to drink , Cheers .

20 Likes

Your Shep has that “pleading” look.

1 Like