What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Happy Anniversary. Looks delicious!

1 Like

Good job! I love pot pie!

2 Likes

Looks sooo good. Perfectly cooked noodles and that beef! What cut?

1 Like

Thanks @Barca. Yah, I’m looking forward to topping fish with those tomatoes. Your dinner looks great btw!

Both the pizza and American chop suey benefited from the onion crunch. We’re already heavy users of the angry Chinese grandmother version but the TJ’s version seems a bit healthier since it’s made with olive oil.

Thanks again @Saregama.

4 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

My hubby made a vegetarian feast for some friends - butternut squash and spinach curry, basmati rice, ww (homemade) naan, turmeric and coriander cauliflower with flaked coconut. I heated up veggie samosas and laid out stoned wheat crackers with triple creme brie and apricot-ginger chutney. And kept glasses filled.

15 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

good job, hubs!

2 Likes

Marinated a pork tenderloin all day in excess plum and ginger liquid siphoned off from previously homemade plum ketchup and frozen for later use. I added minced rosemary and garlic powder.

Roasted it until done with some of the marinade spooned over top.

Served on mashed sweet and yellow potatoes with the PSTOB and the last of some sour cream with some plum ketchup on top and asparagus alongside.

Oh, there was wine!

14 Likes

I’m hungry!

1 Like

Iceberg two ways

Chicken breast pizzaiola (panko fried, marinara sauce and melted cheese)

12 Likes

Sauteed a little ground pork with a chopped up Calabrese sausage from Molinari’s, chopped onion, smashed garlic cloves, the Nigel Slater preserved tomatoes (must make more), spinach, parsley, and fresh mozz. Four heaping tablespoons of crushed Calabrian chilis. With mezzi rigatoni. Love when thrown together meals work out. Although it was not as spicy as I thought it would be. And while i love those tomatoes, I’m going to put even less sugar in them next time.

I’d also purchased a jar of lupini beans in a salt brine from Molinari’s, and was thinking of making a salad of them with marinated artichokes from their deli counter. But upon opening them, we found them too hard and not very tasty. So, small salad was just the artichoke hearts, shallots, and castelvetrano olives. HOWEVER, Google now informs me that that you’re supposed to bite the top of the lupini off and squeeze the bean out of its shell and into your mouth. Much like we eat fava beans! Off to the kitchen to try them now.

ETA: tried the lupinis as above… i still don’t get it. they’re fine, still too al dente… eh! now i have a full jar and no idea what to do with them.

17 Likes

Brisket currently in the slow-cooker with a beer and spice marinade. It will be there until around 7 PM.

5 Likes

I don’t get the lupini beans either . They look so good and taste awful with that hard texture

1 Like

What a skill, making your own naan. It’s something I’d never even consider doing.

4 Likes

that gives me just enough time to get there.

1 Like

i think they’re just supposed to be a snacky thing, but yeah, still don’t get it.

ETA:

Maybe rinse and pressure cook in fresh water, maybe with a pinch of baking soda?

2 Likes

Since son is away, I decided to cook something he does not like. CONGEE!!
1 rotisserie chicken ( took out skin , roasted it in 400 degrees oven , came out very crisp! Yummy ! Thank whoever suggested that recently as I usually buy the darkest looking rotisserie chicken, roast it in oven till almost burnt but still was never crispy.

Cooked in my rice cooker, not remembering how much rice and water ratio, I decided to shred chicken, cooked the bones in 3 cups of water, let it simmer, remove bones, then add 3 cups of short grain Kokuho Rose rice, cooked that under slow cooking menu for porridge till done, Then, added another cup of water, shredded chicken, spices ( bay leaf, a few pieces of anise, freshly ground peppers, soy sauce, preserved chili and black beans , smashed a piece of ginger, 1/2 medium caramelized onion, chopped garlic, reprogrammed , cooked until it was done, then, added chopped Napa village, added another cup of water , shaoxing wine, part of a bottle of chinese preserved bamboo I found in fridge, reprogrammed to start, then topped with fried shallot and sesame oil.
Flavorful but stomach still grumbling, need more food! Somehow, soup does not fill me up . Looking for some dried figs, grapes and cheese

16 Likes