What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

29 / 9. @Madrid

Thank you for sharing.

CUENCA: IS ONLY 2 hours via Express Bus from The Madrid Capital. Cuenca is a very fascinating small city, and I adore the Casas Colgadas, the medieval XIV hanging Cliff houses and the Juan Marche Foundation of Modern Art and the restaurant “Casas Colgadas” …

I have only been to the following cities across the blue pond: Manhattan which we enjoyed tremendously in addition to: Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago and to see the Frank Lloyd Architectural Masterpiece Falling Water in Pennsylvania & to attend a trade fair several years ago, in Montreal, Canada & Quebec. They were all separate trips over the last 2 decades, however, The Frank Lloyd Wright excursión was from New York City via our hotel.

Well, I hope that you are able to solution your arthritis and all our best wishes.

1 Like

We had a small, early dinner of leftovers, then had our neighbors over for light bites with wine after baby bedtime. I laid out a trio of Spanish cheeses, German speck, fried corn, taralli, rosemary Marcona olives, stoned wheat crackers, olives, cornichon, spinach dip with cucumbers and rainbow carrots, and (not pictured) sliced ciabatta baguette (whatever that is). Wines were a brut cremant rose, a very dry and slightly savory Spanish Bohigas xarel lo, a surprisingly aromatic and fruity pinot grigio from Italy’s Alto Adige-Trentino, and my favorite $7 Bordeaux sauvignon blanc from Trader Joe’s.

14 Likes

I’m fairly sure it wasnt intended as a compliment.

By the by, dinner will be home delivery. Mrs H and her fellow member of the Brexit Resistance have been on a demonstration in Manchester this afternoon. Me and the other husband were going to meet them in the city and go for an early dinner - yes, it’s a very middle class sort of Resistance. However, it’s rained heavily all afternoon and they are wet and tired so are coming home, after the speeches.

5 Likes

Oh, I know. Being called a food is better than a lot of things.

Some other nationalities are called “Cheesehead”, “Kraut”, “garlic eater” etc

And Britons to the French are “Les Rosbifs”. Which I rather hope is a compliment.

And the Mallorcan brother in law says that the local slang for British tourists is “Leches”.

1 Like

Interesting. But milks…?

Pale, white skin.

6 Likes

Maybe this is not where I should post this but it probably will be seen by more HO member here.
Just watched for the second time Haute Cuisine
Love the true story of Daniele Mazet Delpeuch who worked as rivage chef for Francois Mitterrand
It is a lovely lovely movie, even second time around shown on Amazon Prime!

8 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this. I’m not familiar with this movie, and I just added it to my watch list.

1 Like

Milk and roast beef are both fine. I don’t mind people use food to describe me/someone.

(I deleted picture of pale, sunburnt people an hour after landing in Australia)

We get burnt the first 2 days but after that it becomes a deep tan with each passing day. The partner’s hair turns blond again.

1 Like

L’Shana Tova all…
Turkey, Poached salmon, Chicken soup with Chicken Tortoloni, Tzimes, Garlic mashed, Green Beans almandine…
Banana cake with macerated strawberries vanilla ice cream and whipped cream…

9 Likes

L’Shana Tova.

2 Likes

Thank you!..time to reset…clean slate…

1 Like

Thank you very much. Just watched and enjoyed immensely.

I am glad you enjoyed the movie
I hope more people will watch it , based on a true story, a female chef !
I also enjoyed CHEF on amazon prime.

1 Like

Ciabatta with triple creme brie, garden tomato, basil, and olive oil. So simple and good.

13 Likes

Made some fabulous lamb meatballs yesterday for dinner - I coarsely ground the lamb myself, then took half of it and processed it the food processor until it was almost a paste. Mixed this paste with the coarse lamb, pork rind crumbs, eggs, yogurt, fennel seed, thyme, mint and basil, plus a mixture of finely chopped, sauteed vegetables (fennel, onions, garlic and cabbage). Formed the mixture into large (6 oz, probably) balls and put them in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes while I made a quick tomato sauce (just canned tomatoes, garlic and fresh herbs buzzed in the food processor with a splash of wine). I poured this over the half cooked meatballs and put it back in the oven for another 20 mins or so. Incredibly tender and flavorful. Served with herbed yogurt (more mint, basil and fennel fronds) plus spaghetti squash baked with butter and parmesan.

Lots of leftovers so tonight will be a repeat, but I did make a huge batch of pesto earlier so we’ll enjoy some of that with the lamb. I bought a 5 lb container of peeled garlic at Restaurant Depot (along with the 3 lbs of basil for pesto) and made garlic confit out of most of it. The freezer will be well stocked for a while!

16 Likes

LOOK AT ALL OF THAT LOVELY VAMPIRE-REPELLING GARLIC!!! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Pats win. :heart:
Weather is very comfortable. :heart:
For roasting a Sunday dinner chicken, that is.

The 6 lb. bird was rinsed, dried, and liberally seasoned with s/p this morning and sat in the fridge, chillaxing.

After the game, I tucked a thick mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, mashed roasted garlic, and minced rosemary and thyme under the skin of the bird, roasted it at 425° for 15 minutes, then finished at 350° for another 90 minutes.

Baby potatoes were steamed and smooshed with some Kerrygold butter, and carrots were cooked with frozen peas and some corn that had been stripped from their cobs earlier in the summer.

The homemade gravy was a small container I pulled from the freezer marked as “VERY GOOD chix gravy”. And it was. LOL

A nice French Sancerre alongside.

18 Likes

You beat me! I buy the California peeled garlic from Costco in 3 lb container ! Usually, when I have finished half of it, and if I am on my wya to Costco, I would roast the left over them in Evoo and freeze them so I alwa8ys have garlic available.

3 Likes