What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Tip courtesy of @Presunto!

1 Like

Raining when I left work, so I went freezer-diving again for dinner tonight. Pulled out a tub of chili, slowly heated it on the flame tamer, cooked up some elbow noodles to serve it on, grated some sharp English cheddar, dolloped some sour cream, lightly toasted a thick slice of sourdough bread, and liberally buttered said slice of sourdough.

Poured some wine, and it was dinner.

15 Likes

This is insane! :joy:

1 Like

Chicken pot pie - had a craving on a whim and, shockingly, we had all the necessary ingredients. Garden tomatoes with aged balsamic and salt.

21 Likes

Yep. That’s Asheville! Work natural foods there for 1 month and have enough stories that you’ll never repeat yourself for life.

2 Likes

LOL, I’ll bet. The same could be said of living here for a year. :joy: Two, in my case :grin:

1 Like

Tomato

Rice noodle with beef

16 Likes

son leaving tonight, flight is 3:00Am, so have to be there at airport by 1:00AM
For him, I cooked a thick slab of Angus T Bone steak from HT using my new grill pan on top of stove ( he lost the big all clad grill pan while out in the boat, probably left it on the beach), so I googled, and found this Cuisinart grill to be reasonable and rated highly but alas, it is small. Anyway, since I am still not going out for health reason, , I cooked the steak on stove top. He shared it with the 2 poms. ( I cannot eat meat since 10/2018) This is served with sweet potato fries from HT.
As for me, simple. I had seafood soup using Knoor’s tamarind soup mix ( they are from Philippines, probably by Mama Sita as they have exc ingredient taste etc). Added 2 ouch of this to 16 cuts of water, tomatoes, ginger , garlic and a few hot peppers. When it came to a boil, turn heat to low, added Ong Chay , red drum fish fillet, Argentina fish .
Served with rice and dipped the fish and shrimp in fish sauce. I Only add enough fish and shrimp for one meal. I will boil pot again, add fish , shrimp and One Chay as needed for the meal.
One Chay is a fantastic vegetable for Filipino tamarind soup . It is also great str fried with EVoo, its of garlic, and splash of cider vinegar.

18 Likes

Your whole plate - :heart_eyes:

Do you make your pastry topper?

Same dinner last night and tonight - coconut curry lentil soup (Ottolenghi) with toast from tragic looking (but tasty) homemade whole wheat bread.

I forgot I halved the bread recipe and still baked it in the loaf pan, achieving… half a loaf - vertically :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:. Bread was for a recipe, not sure I have enough left after two nights of toast :grimacing:

Soup topped with my new addiction - TJ chili onion crisp.

11 Likes

Your toast looks quite wet. Drizzled EVOO over it? Or butter?

What a gorgeous looking pie! If only I had an oven!

1 Like

Buttah!

3 Likes

Hope you are feeling better soon!

It was Dufour puff pastry. Very pricey but worth it!

4 Likes

Thank you kindly!

Looks great - was it good?

thanks

where do you live?
Ovens are rarity in some countries
My mom was one of the best cook I have known
When she was younger, and lived in a remote village in the Philippines, she had a bakery with a huge oven made out of (cement, clay?). It was really big, dome shaped. I almost I would say 20 ’ by. 20’. That oven served the whole village. People would buy bread and cookies from us. They walk miles anid miles barefoot for them. On Wednesday, market day, it was very busy. The oven was wood fired. Alas, pizza was unknown but as appreciation to the natives for their loyalty to us, (of course there were no other bakery that I know of) during Fiestas to celebrate Saints, birthdays, weddings etc, the natives can bring chicken, pig ( beef was not used as cows were for labor. My dad told me that once they tried to butcher. cow, and the cow had tears. So, as far as. he can remember, nobody ever butcher cows. I donate remember goat being roasted ether ).and they would go in the oven to be roasted free of charge since the oven was almost always fired. The bread were called pan de sal ( small crusty loaf, and pan de lemon for soft rolls) . Soon after, my mother sold the bakery, left for the city 7 hours away by train to give us kids an education in Chinese . I was about 6 years old by then. I arrived in the US in 1964, and within a year, I saved enough money for a small countertop oven . I bought it , sent it thru postal system to Mr Ed Mattos, ( he was on sabbatical from Julliard Music School, to serve as cultural attache for the US Embassy. After his stint at the Embassy, he was in charge of Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in DC. Ed was responsible for discovering my sister who came as a Fulbright student 5 months after I arrived in '65. He felt the embassy might think that it was a bribe for giving my sister that chance to study in the US. I met him a few times when my sister was waiting for school term to start, and had played as guest for the Embassy for different functions. Of course, his anger was just briefly understanding how I truly wanted to give my mother a gift but not knowing how it can be sent for an affordable price and also not to get stolen. Sadly, my mother passed away before she received her oven.
That is a story very close to my heard thwysg. My mother would h ave loved that oven. nowadays, there are plenty of countertop ovens and sending it overseas would not be a big problem! Despite the fact I own 2 commercial ovens, I bought a Wolf gourmet countertop oven. I love that small oven and use it most of the time. I hardly use my commercial ovens.

7 Likes

Voting for this fall’s Cuisine of the Quarter is up! Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

1 Like