What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

@digga, so appropriate! :rofl: Biscuit is a sweetheart but one of our nicknames for her is The Perp.

She’s always ready for fun mischief. And food. 24/7.

In addition to tomatoes, she loves zucchini, carrots, melon, the little crabapples that fall from our tree…

5 Likes

What kid of dog?My two Pomeranians are my emotional support therapy dogs/
I feed them their meals, usually raw meat( 24 and 28 gas) in morning and Orijen (1/4 c) kibbles at night but they snack in between meals
They go everywhere with me, even to restaurants . People comment how they do not reach out for food but I usually carry small trays for their water and some food that I share with them. They are also not allowed to eat each other’s food. I place Luna’s food in the crate and Wolfie’s on a rubber mat .
Sometimes, they will hold out and not eat their meals, waiting for handouts from our meals which I often do. ( they love shrimps, scallops, duck and chicken but Have to be careful not to add spice or onions before I reserve small amounts as treats for them. ) Often, they seat at the kitchen table and when we have guests , they each occupy a chair around the DR table. FullSizeRender
Never do they reach out for food from table That they learn from sitting on the chair when we are eating. They also have to learn to share, just like children, they had to earn to behave. Picture on DR and Kitchen chairs

6 Likes

@ccj, your Poms are so beautiful and obviously well-behaved. Table manners, even! They look like wonderful companions.

Biscuit is a rescue dog from Tennessee, who was found as a pregnant stray so her lineage is murky. She came to us In Massachusetts after she raised her pups. DNA testing showed many breeds, and her behaviors/appearance suggest the prominence of Labrador retriever and something called a Carolina Dog. The Miss is sweet and oh so food-motivated.

3 Likes

The problem with buying pre-formed supermarket patties is that you can’t season the insides with salt. IMO, just seasoning the outside of a hamburger patty isn’t enough. I always add salt to ground beef (sometimes purchased, sometimes ground at home) before forming patties, then additionally season the exterior.

2 Likes

I usually have a container of cherry tomatoes from Costco on the counter (loosely covered) and none of my cats pay it a whiff of attention (never mind the fact that they are NOT supposed to be on the counters). However, last summer I grew some golden cherry tomatoes and one of my cats, the one who is actually least likely to try to counter surf, would NOT leave them alone. She didn’t eat them, but they were her favorite toy - she batted them around and carried them in her mouth all over the house. I finally had to give up and put them in the fridge!

5 Likes

She looks like a Yaller dog (one of the many regional names these go by). Here’s an interesting read on this breed:

4 Likes

If you don’t want to refrigerate them try keeping in the microwave. When my cats were young enough to jump I used it as a room temperature cat safe area.

4 Likes

HAH! My sister and I call those “black bars” the “Glamour Don’t” pics. I think the magazine used to run pictures of women in really bad outfits - and put black bars across their eyes. (Even though you could tell who they were!). Not sure if they still do it, but you can Google “Glamour Don’t” and will find examples.

4 Likes

@meatn3, fantastic article! It became one of my go-tos because I had no idea about Carolina Dogs before.

While Biscuit is a mixed breed, she has many behaviors I that could not puzzle out. That article was like a light bulb.

4 Likes

They get into things but they are very polite and neat about it!

4 Likes

thanks for the article on Carolina dog aka Yaller dog
Interesting!
MY dogs are basically meat and cheese babies.
They will do anything for cheese, beg, dance, rollover but they can be picky. Have to rotate the cheese. Luna has a knee problem and so takes nutramax. The pill has to be split into many pieces, covered with cheese. Also need to give them cheese as treats prior to I brushing their teeth twice daily. Yup, I do not want them to lose their teeth nor pay veterinarian who are board certified canine dentist! They run and hide when it is time for teeth brushing!

1 Like

I’d be surprised were there not meat and/or cheese flavored dog dentifrices.
Our dog used to beg for cheese and was also the receptacle for all morsels that weren’t table fit. After we lost him, the first time I trimmed a piece of cheese and realized there was no one waiting for the scraps, I burst into tears. Our pet friends interface with us in so many little undocumented ways.

7 Likes

We hide our dog’s pills in Kong peanut butter or dog food rolls. Sometimes he will eat the peanut butter or dog roll and later on we find the pill on the floor :smiley:

6 Likes

That used to infuriate me with one of our dogs. Pill Pockets ain’t cheap!

Solved that issue by hiding the dosage in about half a teaspoon of chunky peanut butter on a spoon. Pup recognized the peanut butter as a treat, and scarfed the potion down without spitting up the capsule.

3 Likes

This thread sure has gone to the dogs. :dog:

7 Likes

so sorry for.your lost. I wieould burst into tears also if something happens to my babies
There are toothpaste that have beef, chicken or seafood flavors but I do not want their mouth to smell like beef or chicken,
Instead, I use malt vanilla flavored toothpaste by Virbac and when there is still a smell, I spray them although they hate sprays.

1 Like

Then there was that time recently when husband was waiting for me to get new glasses fitted. Sitting in the reception area, he casually helped himself to a cookie in a jar on the coffee table. The tech helping me suddenly jumped up and yelled, “NO, NO! SIR, those are dog biscuit!”

Shoooot. Then they should have been shaped like bones.

5 Likes

I was once manning a booth full of sample products at an “Organic Fest”. This woman swooped through grabbing stuff. One sample wasn’t easily determined by a casual glance so I began to tell her what it was. I got a hand up to my face as she said “I don’t want to hear it” and popped the now open sample into her mouth. It was a sliver of soap. She turned back and grabbed a few more. “shrug” At least it was organic…Hopefully she felt minty fresh!

8 Likes

Last night was our actual anniversary so we went out to our favorite Argentinian-ish place around the corner. Fab as usual, and in addition to what’s in the pic, we split a palmito salad, a mollejas salad (to die for), and yuca croquetas. BF said that will be one of his next projects, trying to make those croquetas. he’s already mastered yuca fries!

Tonight i’m out again for review - Nepalese place. Back in the kitchen tomorrow!

Lolinda%20steak

18 Likes

love the idea of using fish sauce!

1 Like