What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

You know you’ve hit “the sweet spot” when the Buttah! glistens on the bread!

3 Likes

Singapore.

Me not owning an oven over here is more about the space restrictions in my long and narrow kitchen. It’s only good for one person, countertop is barely 2m long - stovetop and sink took up more than two-thirds of it. Not so much about monetary issues. The kitchen came with the apartment and we didn’t do any renovation works when we got the keys. But it’s on my wishlist for the new apartment few years down the road. Bigger kitchen and lots of space to work with and walk around. Hoping to do some baking and roasting! :grin:

2 Likes

this is not big. To wait a few. years down the road is to waste a few. years of. your life to doing what y ou want. The oven can still be used when. you move.

I enjoy it - have made it a lot since I first tried the recipe. With the caveat that I increase all aromatics and spices.

2 Likes

I feel like this is true just about every time I “follow” a recipe.

2 Likes

Phenomenal looking crab !!!

1 Like

@TheCookie,

Lovely sándwich …

Would truly enjoy this with some wild cod or wild hake …

1 Like

Friday … 27th …

ALEXANDRIAChoucroute_002
Iberian Ham Salad and Choucroute … Served with a lovely Cava … 25 Centigrade Degrees here and still quite warm …

17 Likes

That all looks great!

1 Like

@ChristinaM

Thank you very much for the compliment.
Yes, it was quite wonderful. Had not eaten it in quite a long time, and so I decided a few days to prepare it. We had a lovely time relaxing on our terrace and planning our weekend.
Have a nice weekend …

2 Likes

Lately, I’ve been more distracted than usual, but I somehow caught that little tidbit. Spring onion and I just brought back a jar. I live within a 2 min walk of a relatively quiet and small TJ’s but I sometimes get blinders when I’m blowing through for our usual staples and miss new products. Thank you! I’m planning on jazzing up our Frank Pepe’s clam pizza and American chop suey* leftovers with this stuff and will try to report back.

*A discussion with friends this past Sunday revealed that B grew up calling this dish “Johnny Marzetti”. However, the 2 dishes are completely different, at least in my estimation. I love food history/etymology!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that fascinating family history. Honestly, you totally lost me in the 2nd half of your post, but the 1st half about your mom is a wonderful memory.

True for me as well, but I really didn’t expect to for an Ottolenghi recipe.

I often wonder whether it’s worth recommending a recipe if I have to completely overhaul the flavor profile. There’s a curry soup on Epi that’s like that - pretty tasteless unless you doctor it significantly with lots more aromatics and spices, but a simple method and easy to doctor. :thinking:

1 Like

I have a decent but not crazy tolerance for spice (despite heritage) - I dig down for the solids, which are crunchy and delicious, and have a slight kick but not too much. Good thing it’s not salted enough, it’s the only thing that’s keeping me from eating the stuff with a spoon :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca! That is a fabulous looking Iberian Ham Salad and Choucroute!

1 Like

@paryzer

Thank you !! Have a wonderful weekend.

1 Like

Wonderful! Was the ham slightly thicker than normal? or how did you get it to curl with such height?

4 Likes

@pilgrim

Firstly, it was sliced very finely and folded.

Perhaps it is the photograph, and angle – but it is just finely sliced folded Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura Iberian Air Dried Ham, sliced length wise from the leg of the black hog …

There are four designations of Iberian Ham:

1. Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura.
  2. Jabugo, Huelva.
  3. Teruel, Aragon.
  4. Salamanca, Castilla León.
4 Likes

Funny!

Yep, they’re strictly carnivores. If they can’t smell animal fat (meat, dairy) in food they’re not interested.

1 Like

Pre-gaming before my oenophile friend’s birthday celebration, in anticipation of overdoing it from the get-go :joy:

Baked shrimp toast (last of the freezer stash) and miso butter corn with togarashi. Oh and the chili onion crunch.

Now onto the rest of the evening.

Happy weekend, all!

13 Likes