What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

13 Likes

Nice looking steak. Did you pound that out? It looks rather long and thin.

Still it’s a learning experience even if it’s “I’ll never do that again”.

2 Likes

Quoting my father to my mother about trying a new dish…
“It was good, but don’t make it again”

9 Likes

Ahhhh…! Those are maybe my most favorite mushrooms ever… looks like a good shroom to eggs omelette to me! Very french vibe from this meal

1 Like

Thanks! It’s not pounded but I did separate the eye part and the cap part of the ribeye and sliced them separately.

In my humble opinion, colored by vast experience with broken sauces, heat has been the culprit. I no longer bother with the water bath, but do watch the temp like a hawk. In all events, Bearnaise is well worth the angst. :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

You make me want some mushrooms too. I looked casually at the supermarket yesterday, only the usual champignon de Paris…

2 Likes

Oh…wow

1 Like

Wish you were here. DH doesn’t like mushrooms much so I got the lion’s share of both the previous pasta, its leftovers and this large clump that I used for the omelet. Strange taste, some people!

3 Likes

Those mushrooms :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The end of corn season is fast approaching here in the Boston area, and the poblanos in the earthboxes needed to be used up. Marcela Valladolid’s corn, zucchini and poblano lasagna seemed like the way to go. It wasn’t the best choice for a weeknight dinner since it always takes longer than I anticipate and my hungry husband ended up having a frozen pizza from a local MA bar pizza place. Dinner was ready about 8 and my son and I enjoyed it. At least the leftovers for dinner tonight will be easy! This is definitely not a light dish. Garlic, corn and heavy cream simmer together and are pureed in the blender and serve as the sauce. That is layered with lasagna noodles, sauteed poblanos and onions, browned zucchini and mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese.

21 Likes

Sounds luscious!

3 Likes

Thanks, Christina! We like it, but obviously can’t eat it too often.

Edited out wrong attribution.

You had me at poblanos and Oaxaca cheese! Layer with Alpo or Gravy Train and I’d probably still be in.

5 Likes

Ha, me, too!

A few dinners. It seems that I’m making WFD a weekly event now, I guess because of a busy week.

Sardine Pork belly udon with homemade fish head broth, sardine filets and miso, failed 63ºC oven eggs. I tried to imitate a sardine ramen broth I’ve eaten, getting close, but still not yet there, need more sardine in the broth.

Pork belly noodle soup, with Korean spicy miso. The spicy broth was mainly from some cooking juice from roasted pork, kimchi juice… Don’t even have time to bother with the egg…

Cod sprinkled with preserved lemon, black olives, dried tomatoes, capers, thyme and olive oil.

Sardine paella from Alberto Herraiz’s Paella book. I made the fish stock and the sofrito from recipes in the same book. It took 3 hours, but it was good.

Starter was a scallop cooked with butter, and with orange, lime, lemon juice, zest, a classic chez naf.

Yesterday was a tomato tart from David Lebovitz which I saw in WFD maybe July edition.

18 Likes

Wow @naf ! A “few dinners”? I want to try ALL of that!

3 Likes

Wow! A thing of beauty.

2 Likes