What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

What’s become my standard Friday night dinner: steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, a gigantic half a baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream, and asparagus.

Oh yup. Wine.

14 Likes

Almost 61yo, and it still happens. To me, it’s the whole point of cooking…you screw up, you adapt and figure it out.

5 Likes

I thought the same thing! I am so impressed @Saregama made them!

2 Likes

Oh, Sweetie, I may be double your age, and I find myself pulling off the weekly flop. There’s always Chalula or Guacamole Salsa.

2 Likes

Little dinner after big lunch. Hens of the woods omelet. Either too many hens or too few eggs, but tant pis.

17 Likes

Almost 65 “Y El Mismo”

1 Like

Pan-seared 3 minutes on each side then finished in oven at 425 for 10 minutes.

1 Like

We have 2 bushes @Ttrockwood and they produce from about mid July and usually last through September. Enough for us to enjoy and also share with the grownup kids. They’re wonderful to have.

I’m wanting to make shakshouka,

(https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2015/10/shakshouka-poached-eggs-in-spicy-tomato-sauce.html)

or some sort of eggs poached in tomato sauce. Starting with something pepperonatta-ish.

Peperonata-Serious Eats

Maybe tomato shrub for vinegar. I have gallons!

I have to say cooking on the west coast after seeing and being inspired by what so many have already made seems a distinct advantage!

10 Likes

@pilgrim and @LindaWhit - Thanks for the support, it’s really kind of funny, makes me feel like I just started cooking :upside_down_face: and it was really awful. Just need to remember not to make that substitution again!

2 Likes

thanks - i meant the rolling/stuffing, but i read up-thread that you got those pre-rolled, yes?

1 Like

that is a stunning omelet. never too much shrooms.

2 Likes

nice, thanks for this. i think the oil is key…

i’ve seen them made in pupuserias, where the women just flatten them into submission with their hands after they’re stuffed.

1 Like

if i had a nickel for every dish I effed up… i wouldn’t even be here talking to you people! :grinning:

like everyone else said, we’ve all been there, multiple times, and will be again. hope you enjoyed dinner out!

5 Likes

What hurts is not the occasional bad execution but the grand idea that wasn’t.

3 Likes

i totally get that.

1 Like

Lol .Cilantro was the problem. No bueno.

2 Likes

It’s hot here in San Francisco. For dinner, a sous-vide ribeye with béarnaise sauce. Used the béarnaise sauce recipe from here:

but it broke on me. I think I added the melted butter too quickly :neutral_face: . Luckily was able to fix it using this method described by Chef John:

Result with some broccolini:

19 Likes

Here’s a video from the truck I ate them from - I was mesmerized watching the ladies pat them out

4 Likes

that’s impressive - the speed!