What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

under the weather
dinner was D’artagnan’s duck breast and gourmet small potatoes from Costco pre cooked in microwave then cooked in oven with duck fat added.
As usual, son started to eat his share
No vegetable offered.
Duck served with soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic and tabasco mixture IMG_1386 IMG_1389

18 Likes

I’m sorry you are under the weather @ccj. I hope you feel better soon. That is a beautiful looking char on the duck breast, and those oven roasted potatoes in duck fat look delicious as well!

4 Likes

The historical society board I serve on had its annual flea market today. My friend and I were on grill duty as usual. Nearly 500 hot dogs, brats, sausage and peppers (not pictured), etc. The “lunch” rush started at 10:30 am and lasted straight through to the end at 4 pm. I need a drink!

17 Likes

Most “order” I’ve seen on a grill in some time.

2 Likes

I’m sidelined with a bad back, so my DW stepped in to do an oven bake of pork spare ribs:

15 Likes

We made Ed Lee’s miso and bourbon-smothered chicken thighs in the IP (we do b/s), served with brown rice and black vinegar and butter-glazed zucchini and long beans.

11 Likes

Rough - been there - speedy recovery!

2 Likes

Fish curry and rice for early dinner / late lunch. Hit the spot, but a bit meh on flavor - too “smooth” if that makes any sense.

Going out for cocktails and bites later.

12 Likes

I’ve been wanting to cook from his book for a while now…

It’s really great! Love the accompanying writing, too.

Would you want to start a discussion topic?

1 Like

That would be fun! But I’m not there yet on getting ready to cook from it… probably a couple of weeks away.

I’ll happily contribute later if you want to start one now, seems a lot of people love that book!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind wishes, Christina.

Big pan of qeema to use up some of my chile pepper harvest, which currently includes cayenne, sonechko (sweet) and palmyra (sweet). I have some Szegdi and Piment d’esplette as well, but I’m planning to dry those. Still waiting for a few other varieties to ripen. Raita and steamed broccoli to cool things off.

2 Likes

Good visit with Mom.
Good shopping for Mom afterwards.
Good shopping at Wegmans.
(Mostly wine. Like duh.)
Good non-traffic throughout my travels.
Good dinner.

Seared scallops in saffron cream sauce, basmati rice and steamed asparagus. And some of the aforementioned wine. Like duh. :wink:

Am going to dive into “Carnival Row” on Amazon Prime and see how it plays out. Reviews have been mixed.

18 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

Holy crap. :heart::drooling_face:

2 Likes

The worst! The DW stepped up very nicely! Feel better!

1 Like

Sorry for your ailments @ccj and @RedJim. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery!

1 Like

@ChristinaM - is that Smoke and Pickles?

Old favorite. Cold Vietnamese noodle salad w/marinated and baked tofu, peppers, cukes (so many from the garden!), scallions.

13 Likes