Eggs and vocabulary

I’ve never made coddled eggs but think coddlers are very fanciful!

https://images.app.goo.gl/9UZUqfjTa3b7XP6b8

2 Likes

I still have trouble cracking a egg . I cracked them on the counter as Jacques Pepin always recommends. Also on the side of the bowl. 25 % of the time I end up breaking the yolk with my thumb . Or getting shells in the egg . Maybe my hands are to big . Lol

I never made them till I found coddlers, had to learn to justify collecting them.

1 Like

I’ve tried the counter, which in addition to being like Jacques does it, reduces the risk of driving a contaminated shell into the egg, but I am more successful when I wack it with the dull side of a table knife. I can’t be tentative though; just once, and with a sense of purpose…

Shakshouka is a dish of eggs poached, or cooked, in a very liquid sauce of tomatoes and red peppers. Maybe also onions.

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been working on my shakshouka skills!

This one was a bit over cooked.

6 Likes

Whatever way you like it is the correct way to cook it.

4 Likes

Yes, I am familiar with Jews in Britain, being one myself. (And part of research groups on Jews, but that’s another thing.)

I wonder if continuity of this (it did come from Europe albeit with variations depending on place) or familiarity are to do with it not being a restaurant food (not like curry houses, say) and pressures for British assimilation (and assimilation more broadly) have impact on what is retained and what is shown off. There is a genteel antisemitism here. I mean it’s throughout Europe but the U.K. version continues to fascinate me.

1 Like

Oh I love shakshuka so much. I even premake a sauce that I keep on hand for days when I come home exhausted but want something nice and warming.

Don’t judge me on the spread. It was still nicely done image

4 Likes

Seconding poached.

1 Like

Yes, I know what it is - the question is what category does it fit in. If ramen is a soup, isn’t shakshouka? They both have eggs. Egg drop soup is soup and has egg cooked in it also.

What’s the taxonomy.

Spanish Tortilla y Patatas is a staple tradition in every home in Spain and every tavern / bar and restaurant bar …

Huevos Flamenco: a baked sunnyside up dish on a bed of sofrito = fresh tomato salsa, onion, garlic, red and green bell pepper, salt, a grind or two of black pepper and courgette or zucchine in tiny cubes and aubergine (eggplant) peeled into tiny cubes sautéed and then placed in a clay earthenware.
EGGS ON TOP AND BAKED A few minutes …

1 Like

I claim no expertise here but I have done some research into Jewish immigration into the Manchester area in the late 19th century. There certainly seems to have been a fairly quick process of assimilation for the important group of middle class immigrants, who had taken up residence in some of the outer suburbs quite quickly (I live 50 yards from an Orthodox synagogue). They were soon part of the general wealthier parts of society in Cottonopolis. For the working class immigrants, assimilation was much slower. Many of these worked in the city’s garment industry, living near to the city centre where there were many small workshops.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re trying to create a taxonomy for now. It seems you’re trying to merge a few things:

Specific preparations of eggs that can be considered dishes unto themselves and dishes that rely on eggs and a particular preparation. And it is that mixture you’d like to work with? Or do you wish to fold the latter into the former?

Soup, in this case (where you might be trying to place shakshuka although that’s not shakshuka) seems to be less a dish reliant on eggs so much as a dish that can sometimes incorporate eggs cooked in a range of ways. But the egg is not central, as it might be in matzo brei or a frittata, or a quiche.

As for the other dishes, there can be debates about how the egg is prepared and what that makes it, but I think soup becomes its own thing that gets its own set of types and preparations.

1 Like

Korean street food tornado omelette

1 Like

Tamagoyaki

kwr-tamagoyaki-articleLarge

4 Likes

The sign at the restaurant says “tomato omelet” (in English, anyway). And it has tomato sauce around it.

Starting to develop a philosophy here. When the egg is a wrapper–such as the tornado omelet–it is an omelet. When the egg is a binder it’s a frittata.

A local food truck offering:
Migas Breakfast Wontons
(Their term)
I’m not sure where this fits in your definitions.

5 Likes

Not too sure.

Frittata (Wikipedia)
”Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables. The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried.”

Omelet (Wikipedia)
“Description - In cuisine, an omelette or omelet is a dish made from beaten eggs fried with butter or oil in a frying pan. It is quite common for the omelette to be folded around fillings such as cheese, chives, vegetables, mushrooms, meat, or some combination of the above.”

Spanish omelette (Wikipedia)
”Description - Spanish omelette or Spanish tortilla is a traditional dish from Spain and one of the signature dishes in the Spanish cuisine. It is an omelette made with eggs and potatoes, optionally including onion. It is often served at room temperature as a tapa.”

2 Likes