What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

it really was!

1 Like

Nice! Where do you garden? I still have stuff bearing, but I’m about to go out of town soon, and don’t want to leave too much water on, so I’m making tough choices.

Yeah @shrinkrap, I don’t like to travel during harvest but sometimes we do and I tell friends to come over and take what they want.

We live and garden in Gig Harbor, Washington. It’s in gardening zone 8b. I have a huge Mexican fan palm tree in my front yard, so lots of stuff grows well here.

1 Like

Easy dinner of grilled chicken skewers with pineapple topped over a few prepared green onion pancakes. Rooster

5 Likes

Some almost interesting meals here, it’s that weird not hot but not cold weather right now and watermelon is officially done- expensive and crappy. Meh.

Made a yellow coconut milk curry on a rainy chilly day last week- only i used too much curry paste so i was sniffling and tearing up like the wimp that i am!! image

Had zucchini, lots of tofu, part of a lonely cabbage, carrots in there somewhere…

Salads as usual, this one i added a PST of sunflower seeds, still very obsessed with those.

This was All of The Random Things kind of meal, some veggie dumplings from Trader Joe’s with edamame and tempeh and sesame seeds from that bottomless bag. Added soy sauce and sesame oil after the pic
Uploading: 2A6E463D-B9CD-4708-86B8-C2EE23DDC3EB.jpeg…

Went to brunch with my favorite almost two year old and her parents- PSA: Buvette is not toddler friendly (no high chair, nowhere to park a stroller) or vegan friendly (they don’t even have non dairy milk) but whatever, we had a good time catching up even if the service was verrrrry french in that non- responsive couldn’t possibly give a shit kind of way… :joy:

Terrible photo for you- i had the beets and my friend ate the creme fraiche off of them, my favorite toddler liked them too! Her dad gave her a few bites of the steak tartare while her mom was in the restroom (she was totally into it!) and then we debated if that was a good thing…? You can see a corner of the croque they ordered, and they got the steamed herb eggs and something else eggy. Everything was tiny, served on dishes the same size as my friend’s coffee saucer.
The wine by the glass menu was cute, I won’t hurry back (hadn’t been there in years and now i remember why)

13 Likes

Chickpea, potato, and pea tikka masala in IP, served over toasted quinoa cooked in chicken broth. That’s cottage cheese for some creaminess and heft.

14 Likes

Easy peasy dinner after a hellacious, crazy, nutsy-cuckoo day at work.

Mac & cheese with ham, and a couple of small pieces of lightly toasted sourdough bread.

And a small glass of wine. Even though it’s only Tuesday. A hellacious, crazy, nutsy-cuckoo day at work deserves it.

12 Likes

Happy to be home after a week away.

Tonight’s dinner is leftover (restaurant) shepherds pie that featured duck and cheesy mashed potatoes that seemed to be a take on aligote.

With the simplest of fennel salads that was exactly what I needed.

12 Likes

So funny, I was just at Buvette last week, and was also uninspired.

The plates were not surprising because it’s a continuation of the way they did the food at her previous place, but they seemed less exciting somehow. Oh the saving grace was the chocolate mousse, though that’s a misnomer because it’s the texture of cold ganache… but delicious.

And yeah, that service. Nah.

3 Likes

Nice combination!

Yum.

My mom makes small fish fried whole like this, sometimes stuffed with a spice paste, other times just salt, red chili, and lime. So good either way!

Your son is lucky to have you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I find the doubles fascinating!

2 Likes

Homemade chips and crushed avocado

Chili relleno, zucchini pancake

12 Likes

Dessert, also brought back from my trip - two kinds of baklava.

13 Likes

Nailed it. That skirt looks perfect

1 Like

Figs and cheese. Heavenly match

2 Likes

I heard the rumor of a German fellow who butchers his own meat and makes his own sausages 30 miles north of mt Shasta . After I had people tell me the directions but never new the name of the place . I finally found it . Italian sausage, I cant even explain the flavor . Finely ground meat with a subtly sweet and savory flavor . Reminded me of Austria . Those beans again . F M swiss chard . I found the diamond in the rough . Wine to drink . Cheers.

14 Likes

Not for dinner, but starting the annual Whole preserved figs-Edna Lewis Gift of Southern Cooking!

14 Likes

i so wanted them to be breadier, more like Indian Fry Bread, but I’m sure that was user error. we made two batches and the drier dough turned out better. still really tasty though!

Do let us know the result and taste. I checked out the linked recipe out of curiosity. What is the reason for using baking soda here?

I can taste soap on plates and cutlery, I can taste baking soda in baked goods and some Asian noodles. And sugar make me nauseous. That’s only a few examples of my food intolerances. It’s hard to be me sometimes!

1 Like