What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

The baking soda helps clean the figs - the sap has a bit of sticky latex. Those with sensitivity need to wear gloves when working with figs.

Thank you. I can’t make it anyway because of the sugar and baking soda.

I’m not familiar with Indian Fry Bread, but a bit of googling Doubles leads me to believe that it’s an evolution/simplification of Channa Bhatura, which I adore.

Something about big, thick, doughy bhaturas make them more exciting to me than little, delicate puris (though I can only ever eat a portion of a bhatura compared to half a dozen or more puris). Also probably that puris are home food and bhaturas are restaurant food and were thus more “exotic” to me as a child.

4 Likes

A recipe for Trini doubles

How about Jamaican festival !

1 Like

I believe the baking soda is to toughen the skin of the figs. In my research there are also references to dealing with tough skins, especially with some of the purple ones, so I’m not sure what to make of this. I have been known to skip that step, and I skipped it this time.

Here are some of my notes shared on CH over the last ten years.

Preserved figs;not fig preserves.
Maybe there are some here on HO as well.

I’m so sorry about sugar making you nauseous ! I can’t imagine. I’m not a big fan of sweets, but there is “sugar” in so many things!

1 Like

Thanks, I looked at a few recipes from Trini bloggers - that’s what made me realize it’s a chhole/channa bhatura evolution.

Many variations on style of chickpea curry. The bhatura recipe is more consistent, though home cooks often substitute yogurt and/or baking soda for the yeast. (Puris by contrast have no leavener - so the dough isn’t stretchy, and they’re rolled out much thinner.)

2 Likes

Trinidad always seems good for interesting insights! I have not made any of these (I have made “festival” and hushpuppies), but I sure would eat them !

The diaspora is pretty well spread out, so variations are very interesting (recipes from the African diaspora are fascinating too).

My friend had an older Trinidadian nanny for many years, so we got insight into and stories about changes to the food, culture, celebrations, etc. She loved when parents visited, because there was so much indian cooking :joy:

2 Likes

That’s why I never make preserves or things that call for so much sugar. I have a low sugar threshold but no problem if it’s in fruits, vegs and honeys etc. It has to be natural.

1 Like

We can never get fresh figs in my area, not even at Costco.
Last year, I had the chance to visit an Italian restorer who had figs at his backyard, had a tray which he served while I went to have a sculpture repaired. He smeared it with goat cheese , which I dislike.
Costco has the best figs, sun-dried, no sugar added from Turkey

Made In Nature Organic Calimyrna Figs 40 oz, 3-pack for 44.99.

Perhaps you still cannot eat those Bec the figs are very sweet. I have to limit myself to. just 2-3. I bought them last year in October as well as dried mangoes that were on sale again. I found the mangoes but not the figs. I hoarded 10 bags.
I did sent you a thread re mangoes, . It may still have too high sugar content for you but they are on sale till 9/15. 4 pieces has 42 gms of sugar from my memory but 36 gms is the sugar content of the mangoes itself, 6 gms of sugar is added to it. I paid $9.99 per 30 ounce bag at the warehouse. I try to limit myself to 4 pieces each time.
I believe Elton Brown initially started coating recommending chicken wings with baking soda to make it crisper. He eventually8 recommended baking powder, which is better. I personally can feel the metallic taste.
Love to dust slightly scallops with baking powder.

Interesting to think about!

yes! the thickness of the pictured doubles in the recipe had me swooning.

here’s some pics of Indian Fry Bread, and a wiki link. There are sweet applications too, but I prefer the savory.

I’ve had these at Native American festivals (went with a NA girlfriend, whose mother lives on a reservation.) They’re so delicious.

I do understand that not all in the Indigenous American community embrace them as native to their culture…

and a recipe:

really similar to the recipe I used for the doubles, except baking powder instead of yeast.

12 Likes

Instant Pot spaghetti with sausage marinara tonight. Hit the spot, but I missed vegetables. DH cooked. We did have carrots, cucumbers, and grape tomatoes with bleu cheese dip to start.

12 Likes

Not photo worthy and eaten in courses, zoodles with red sauce, fresh green beans and NYT no knead bread recipe. Cukes and red onion in vinegar to start, raspberries and peaches with vanilla ice cream afterwards. Zucchini, green beans, tomatoes and raspberries, all from our garden. Won’t last too much longer as we’re having an early fall. :cry:

7 Likes

You’re a real chowhound.

3 Likes

Plums in two colors, blue cheese, EVOO, cracked pepper

Seaweed noodles with scallions and soy, cauliflower with scallions and ginger, teriyaki burgers

17 Likes

Aren’t those vegetables? :blush:

2 Likes

Yum!

Sure am .I’ll suffer for my food .

2 Likes