What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

silly me, I read that as another bowl of cognac, not congee.

1 Like

Really? How apt. I like it. Would be proud to be called that if I were Portuguese.

1 Like

It was a long long long long long day. But it was a REALLY GOOD DAY.

Antique apples picked early this morning at Smolak Farms.

CVS run made.
Books bought for Mom.
Then a visit with Mom.
She’s was in very good spirits.
Always glad when that happens.
She checked out PJs and slippers I had bought for her, and made her choices.
I stayed through her midday dinner.

Then there was more errands and things to do.
Sister’s cats feeding.
Cat litter and cat food for my cats.
Food shopping for myself.
Mailing an anniversary card from Mom and me to my sister and BIL.

Finally…home. PHEW. That was a lot of driving!

Dinner decision was changed on the way home. Went simple with a bacon cheeseburger on a lightly toasted Brioche roll. A spinach salad with homegrown chopped tomatoes, goat cheese, crumbled bacon, and a warm honey-mustard vinaigrette drizzled on top.

Wine.

It was good way to end a good day.

18 Likes

Beer-soaked brisket was excellent. The juices left in the slow cooker made a nice gravy to go with some mashed potatoes. Not very photogenic, so I’ve included pics of two other sides: Jersey Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, and air fryer portobello mushroom fries with garlic aioli.

17 Likes

Stressed and pressed for time ->
Peppers

Scampi style shrimp, spaghetti

14 Likes

We had another great dinner at Drew’s. Below is a link to the details and pictures for anyone that might be interested.

4 Likes

This month has been a bit of a shit show. But, it’s finally cool and I felt the cooking bug again.

Pizza tonight. Fresh mozzarella, crushed tomatoes, oregano, calabrian chilies, and basil.

And my afternoon project was to make fig cookies - from the new season of the Great British Baking Show. I had hoped to make each weeks technical challenge, but life had other plans.

20 Likes

A rerun from last week , except for the green tomato from the garden added to the shellfish. Fabulous. I could eat this every day. Wine to drink , Cheers .

20 Likes

Your Shep has that “pleading” look.

1 Like

29 / 9. @Madrid

Thank you for sharing.

CUENCA: IS ONLY 2 hours via Express Bus from The Madrid Capital. Cuenca is a very fascinating small city, and I adore the Casas Colgadas, the medieval XIV hanging Cliff houses and the Juan Marche Foundation of Modern Art and the restaurant “Casas Colgadas” …

I have only been to the following cities across the blue pond: Manhattan which we enjoyed tremendously in addition to: Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago and to see the Frank Lloyd Architectural Masterpiece Falling Water in Pennsylvania & to attend a trade fair several years ago, in Montreal, Canada & Quebec. They were all separate trips over the last 2 decades, however, The Frank Lloyd Wright excursión was from New York City via our hotel.

Well, I hope that you are able to solution your arthritis and all our best wishes.

1 Like

We had a small, early dinner of leftovers, then had our neighbors over for light bites with wine after baby bedtime. I laid out a trio of Spanish cheeses, German speck, fried corn, taralli, rosemary Marcona olives, stoned wheat crackers, olives, cornichon, spinach dip with cucumbers and rainbow carrots, and (not pictured) sliced ciabatta baguette (whatever that is). Wines were a brut cremant rose, a very dry and slightly savory Spanish Bohigas xarel lo, a surprisingly aromatic and fruity pinot grigio from Italy’s Alto Adige-Trentino, and my favorite $7 Bordeaux sauvignon blanc from Trader Joe’s.

14 Likes

I’m fairly sure it wasnt intended as a compliment.

By the by, dinner will be home delivery. Mrs H and her fellow member of the Brexit Resistance have been on a demonstration in Manchester this afternoon. Me and the other husband were going to meet them in the city and go for an early dinner - yes, it’s a very middle class sort of Resistance. However, it’s rained heavily all afternoon and they are wet and tired so are coming home, after the speeches.

5 Likes

Oh, I know. Being called a food is better than a lot of things.

Some other nationalities are called “Cheesehead”, “Kraut”, “garlic eater” etc

And Britons to the French are “Les Rosbifs”. Which I rather hope is a compliment.

And the Mallorcan brother in law says that the local slang for British tourists is “Leches”.

1 Like

Interesting. But milks…?

Pale, white skin.

6 Likes

Maybe this is not where I should post this but it probably will be seen by more HO member here.
Just watched for the second time Haute Cuisine
Love the true story of Daniele Mazet Delpeuch who worked as rivage chef for Francois Mitterrand
It is a lovely lovely movie, even second time around shown on Amazon Prime!

8 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this. I’m not familiar with this movie, and I just added it to my watch list.

1 Like

Milk and roast beef are both fine. I don’t mind people use food to describe me/someone.

(I deleted picture of pale, sunburnt people an hour after landing in Australia)

We get burnt the first 2 days but after that it becomes a deep tan with each passing day. The partner’s hair turns blond again.

1 Like

L’Shana Tova all…
Turkey, Poached salmon, Chicken soup with Chicken Tortoloni, Tzimes, Garlic mashed, Green Beans almandine…
Banana cake with macerated strawberries vanilla ice cream and whipped cream…

9 Likes