What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

It’s hard to explain tinned corned beef to people who didn’t grow up eating it… yum.

3 Likes

Question: how do you prevent the garlic from burning while this is happening?

(Dinner looks delicious of course!)

2 Likes

Thanks!

i toss them around while the steaks are cooking, sometimes rubbing them on top of the steak on each side, sometimes letting them rest on top of the steaks. they do get quite toasty but not enough to give the steaks any bitter flavor. I do eat them myself afterwards, the slight bitterness doesn’t bother me.

2 Likes

That was my question (further up the thread) for those who roast minced or chopped garlic for later use. It wasn’t a criticism, just an actual “how to” question.

I had something recently (can’t remember what) with fried garlic slivers. They were perfectly cooked and no bitterness. I would love to learn that trick.

1 Like

son returned home last night, wanted to cook something that he loves but misses since I no longer eat beef
So, dinner for him was Chile con carne .
3 lbs of 10% grass fed ground meat browned in dutch oven with one caramelized onion in Evoo. garlic cloves, herbs from garden
Roasted some last of the season tomatoes in 275degrees oven for 3 hours, with herbs and garlic,
Chili red sauce using dehydrated Mexican holy trinity chili peppers ( ancho, pasilla mulato) as well as Hatch Chile and Chile de arbor. Which were flash roasted in oven for 2 minutes to bring out their dormant flavors, soaked in hot water till softened, threw out water as it gives a bitter flavor, pureed in food processor with chicken broth , then cooked in iron skillet with caramelized onions in Evoo, garlic, cumin , Mexican oregano till it comes to a boil, simmered for 30 minutes, adding a few chipotle and adobo sauce give it a little more depth, then tablespoon or 2 of sweet potato starch to thicken. I only added one of the defrosted sauce to the pot. He thought that was enough.
Added a tin each of red pinto beans, black beans, great breans, garbanzos and corn
This picture was taken after he had late

dinner last night and lunch today, I think there is more beans than I had wanted. Rest will be frozen .

14 Likes

If I’m doing just garlic I don’t have trouble - key is keeping the heat low and having patience, otherwise the garlic can go from golden to burnt very quickly.

But when there is other food in the pan it’s more challenging for me - for eg last night, when I made gambas al ajillo, the garlic became golden, while it never is when I order the dish at a restaurant.

5 Likes

And the love of my life said “and would you like a fried egg on top of it?”
There are reasons why we’ve been together nearly 50 years.

14 Likes

I’ve never had garbanzo beans in chili but can see where it could provide nice texture. When I use a mix of beans it is black, red and pinto beans. Some time I add corn as a garnish before serving.

2 Likes

Love the rich darkness of the chili sauce.

1 Like

My best results for roasting garlic with food is keeping the cloves whole then smashing & stirring them into the sauce or drippings towards the end when they’re soft & caramelized. Sometime I keep them in the skin and pop out the soft insides, but that can get messy.

Side note: that process probably won’t work with a shrimp dish because shrimp cook so fast. Hmmm…

3 Likes

Hash-and-fried-egg is a dish that can’t be separated. Like corned-beef-and-cabbage; like liver-and-onions; like peanut-butter-and-jelly; like your love-and-marriage…

6 Likes

So sweet

Ah yes, for roasting. My response was for sautéing… sorry

MODERATOR SPEAKING

When replying to each other, if possible, please use quotes so other readers can relate more easily to what you are talking about.

Example:

If you are not familiar with quotes, you can see the following tip with the link below:

Thank you and have a nice day!

9 Likes

Naf,

Quotes …

Totally agree … it is a great idea.
This is my problem too and that is why I put the names on the post …

How to do ???

2 Likes

See here. or the link in the above post.

We used to do it more often in the past, but many the newer members aren’t aware of this feature, I think.

3 Likes

Our Sprouts opened about a year ago. I went once, and haven’t been back. I’ll have to think about why, but I think it’s at least in part related to being in the “wrong” strip mall for me.

What do you like on sale at Sprouts?

ETA:
I see;
"I bought raw, wild-caught, N. Atlantic lobster tails (prev. frozen) for $6.99. "

Good to know. Takes awhile for me to trust a place for seafood.

1 Like

Ahhh… sorry about my reading comprehension. For sautéing I have the same problem, so I try to put the garlic in late.