What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Nice . Simply delicious.

Looks fabulous

2 Likes

Not this homecoming for you:

1 Like

Very well said. As a moderator myself, I am very hands off. What i treasure about HO, and WFD in particular, is the live-and-let live attitude missing in so many other social media sites. I like that this forum is like a dinner table. As humans we don’t strictly compartmentalize our lives, in real life. We talk about food and babies and neighbors and illness and jobs and travel. We cook, we do take-out, we eat at restaurants, we diet, our neighbor cooks for us or we cook for them, we re-purpose leftovers from meals we cook and meals we buy. It’s all fodder, for me, fodder for WFD. I personally eat out a lot (it’s part of my side job.) I try to post my restaurant meals on WFD loosely, not as clear restaurant reviews. Because I like to share, and I like reading your shares. As I said previously, I absolutely do get inspiration and joy from reading about other’s meals out, as much as those that are cooked in our kitchens. It’s a window to other parts of the country, of the world, that I don’t know about yet, or that I know in a different way.

While what is being requested here, to paraphrase meatn3, isn’t draconian nor unreasonable, I question why it is a necessity. I do know what the benefit is of posting actual reviews on the local boards. I’ve posted many before and will do so again. But just as in other forms of social media, I’d hope we’d all learn to scroll on by when something isn’t to our particular liking. We all get irritated by something, or someone, at one time or another, but I’d hope to be able to live in these micro-societies without reacting every time we felt annoyed by something.

I realize this is a democracy, but I’d hope to live, at least in this little culinary niche, without the need to impose more rules and restrictions. I too appreciate the spirit that SCK has given this site.

that said, I’m just a cog, and these are only my two cents.

and now, to post my dinner, which was cooked at home tonight! :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Dinner tonight was simples - rib eye, sauteed in butter and evoo, with 3 smashed garlic cloves strewn about. Last FM heirloom tomato (until tomorrow!) was sliced and doused in red wine vinegar/evoo and sprinkled with kosher salt, Greek oregano, and Israeli feta. I defrosted a jar of homemade pesto, and pummeled some fresh basil and olive oil into submission to add to the pesto to brighten it up. Tossed with the cavatelli, it would have been perfect, but I woefully undercooked the pasta. waaahhh… still, it was all pretty tasty.

15 Likes

Myself . I could care less about ,what or where the talk about food is posted . It’s like reading the paper every morning and listening to Miles Davis . Fantastic

7 Likes

The fresh tomato photos are just fantastic. Sexy as hell…lol.

3 Likes

Raviolis with peas and tomato. Wine to drink. Cheers.

12 Likes

More of Nigel’s tomatoes!

@ccj and @Harters, thanks! I keep coming back to that,
Nigel’s tomatoes

and to tomato shrub, and I’ve finally caught up with my tomato production. …Now for the peppers!

13 Likes

Pretty @Saregama!

1 Like

I know… and that meat!

2 Likes

Oh my goodness @shrinkrap! Slurp.

2 Likes

Nice. Stuffed with?

Store bought meat .

1 Like

Tonight, I made chu hou beef brisket & tendons. It’s comfort food at its best and a somewhat tricky dish to nail.

To make it, I got both drop flank and tendons. Contrary to the name, this dish is traditionally made with drop flank rather than brisket. It’s a cut just outside the flank and is used in pho (and called crunchy brisket).

Besides that, the sauce consists of chu hou paste, nam yu, shaoxing, soy and the usual braising aromatics and spices.

The hardest part is timing. Tendons take hours to soften, so it’s a balancing act of parcooking both the beef and the tendons, so that when they are combined, they finish at about the same time.

The dish usually is paired with daikon (white radish), but WF didn’t have any, so I settled for carrots.

16 Likes

That is one advanced recipe! Just EATING tendons seems advanced. When I’m showing off, talking about eating pho, I always emphasize the tendons.

Good ole’ Ranch Market!

We don’t have one here, but we have (shout out!) Country Square Market.
Their website doesn’t reflect it, which is weird, but it seems quite similar.
Maybe in the meat section, or the produce section. .

Okay, maybe all the sections except the main page.

No Whole Foods here, but Country Square has all manner of radish.

1 Like

Exactly!

I made these tomatoes again, but didn’t remove seeds, and took the peels off after roasting.

13 Likes

I spy some egyptian walking onions on that book cover! I’m growing that variety as a perennial in lieu of scallions.

1 Like

Nice! I want to see!

I didn’t grow walking onions, but I grew shallots, and folks here helped me make kimchi from the greens!

PS I can’t find anything about the cover photo. Phooey!

12 Likes