What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

I love the idea of Hungry Onion as a garden! Appropriate for the forum’s name. :smiley: (And I do like those notation pointers as well!)

3 Likes

Me too.

Does this mean I can spray weedkiller on the Brussels sprouts?

Please?

2 Likes

Linda, I hope you didn’t think that I was making a comparison, whether explicit or implicit, between Hungry Onion and That Other Place. And my mention of Marssy and Pat was an attempt at humor.

1 Like

Please do not understand that I was complaining about anything on this site. I was not. My point was simply that on a site like this it is impossible to keep everything properly categorized, try as one will. So you just have to live with it.

Once you have read and signed off on the material safety data sheet plus received your secret decoder ring you can submit your request in triplicate! :innocent:

3 Likes

Dammit. I’ve been retired so long I’d forgotten about “health and safety” and, in particular the UK’s “Control of Substances Hazardous to Health” regulations. COSHH used to be the bane of my life when I worked in purchasing.

That pretty much just leaves weeding by hand…not a bad task when the day is pretty!

Actually I always weed by hand as the garden is almost organic (yes, a I know that’s like being a bit pregnant). Spent this afternoon cutting the grass, deadheading and a bit of weeding. It’s a holiday in the UK (although that doesnt really bother retirees) - and the country has hit its highest ever temperature for the August holiday. Cooled off a bit now, so dinner on the patio.

3 Likes

Meatn3,

Though I am new to this Fórum, I am in totally agreement with you.

What´s For Dinner: Gardening !

I am extremely highly organised being a Travel Agent, Journalist, marital partner, grand mother, mother and woman, so for me, this Section truly requires some transplanting and pruning done with intelligence and sensitivity to the long standing members, however, some carefully placed organisation.

5 Likes

OK, I snort-laughed.

Got it - thanks for the clarification @bcc. It’s definitely night and day between HO and CH.

3 Likes

Worker’s curry from Meera Sodha’s Made in India, with cauli-jasmine rice and yogurt. Easy and yum. I subbed big ripe garden tomatoes for the canned.

8 Likes

Repurposing the re purposed diced Chicken Breast to make noodle soup. The chicken turned out fall-apart delicious.

13 Likes

Sat. and Sun. were out to dinner, both nights in service of going to see John Doe play locally at two different locales. First night was sushi, next was burgers.

After last night’s show I started a batch of carnitas, and decided to add dried guajillo and ancho peppers that I’d toasted, and they basically disintegrated in the 2+ hours of simmering. Tacos were dinner tonight. Yum. A really great batch. I made these a little guisado-like, not cooking off all the stewing liquid this time, but using it as a broth. napped the carnitas in the liquid before they went under the broiler to crisp up.

And a FM tomatoes/cukes, red onion and parsley salad dressed with lime juice.

13 Likes

I think we may be tied in our love of tacos. Most of mine are eaten out, but we get on a roll sometimes at home. Been buying fewer white wheat and corn tortillas lately in an effort to eat more whole foods :sob::sob:

2 Likes

Gulp , just fabulous. Remember seeing John doe play with X at the catalyst club Santa Cruz early 80’s . Great show

3 Likes

i can’t eat a taco not on a torn tortilla though; even when i’ve done salad bowls i have to fry up some tortilla strips to go over the top! need that corny taste!

2 Likes

we’re seeing X next month!

2 Likes

I hear you. I like flour with fajitas. And also as a guilty pleasure quesadilla. There are a couple joints here that make either corn or flour homemade and they are sooo good.

1 Like

Wow . Exene , John , and Billy Zoom on drums. :sunglasses:

2 Likes