What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Was at Costco yesterday
Although I stlil have garlic in fridge, these garlic are oil about 10.00 and change for 3 lbs expiring Sept 14.
Be sure to look at expiration date when. you purchase.
I was also a

t Asian store and bought these fried scallions and fried shallots as reserve when I run out. Notice the garlic expires on September. I would place them in my vacuum ware , then if I think they will be sprouting, roast them with Evoo.

4 Likes

I didn’t see it on the plate. As I know you know, parsley makes a plate soooo much prettier. :wink:

1 Like

Viet spiced beef in lettuce leaves

With Thai corn cakes, nuoc cham
l

16 Likes

Pretty!

1 Like

Impressive

1 Like

Looks delish!

ETA: post 666!!

1 Like

I’m confused about the chopping/mincing garlic then roasting. Garlic burns easily. For those of you who do it how do you keep it from burning? How is it like or better than roasting whole cloves? Is it caramelized, soft & spreadable like roasting whole cloves?

1 Like

Our neighbor came for a hang. We had bourbon and ginger seltzer cocktails, taralli and nibbly things, and homemade pizza. I made gazpacho with friend’s tomatoes to start. Lesson learned: always shred your own mozz. Sliced was bland and browned way too fast. Also not enough cheese. I did ferment the dough from Mon-Wed, which was good. Neighbor brought broccoli micro greens for topping/salad.

Scrabble for two before bed

19 Likes

How fun.

1 Like

happy hour with friends at a divey, old school, old sea dog boat club for $3.00 beers and delivery Indian pizza, on another gorgeous night. Chicken tikka masala and the kitchen sink (lamb, shrimp and cauli) pizzas, and lamb samosas. So fricken good. I ordered way too much (there were only 3 of us) so the BF has a lot of snacking to do later tonight.

18 Likes

Lamb koftas. Falafel (supermarket). Finely chopped salad - cucumber, red pepper, red onion, radish. Mint & yoghurt sauce. Khobez bread, assorted jarred pickles.

8 Likes

Dinner tonight was Maple Duck Farm’s half duck for son and me as guest left yesterday.
I also pre cooked in microwave some small gourmet potatoes from Costco for 10 minutes, brushed with Evoo, S/P , garlic powder and a sprig of rosemary.
Then, I roasted the duck and tucked the precooked potatoes under the grates so it will get benefi

t of the duck fat although son objects to that til crisp as he likes his potatoes almost burnt.
Side dish of home grown French beans, blanched for 7-8 min with bay leaf, shocked, then stir fried in Evoo, garlic with small purple bell peppers, and one small red one , then added thyme and basil before serving.
The duck came with orange sauce which is nto our favorite, so in to the trash and instead, dipped with soy sauce, cider vinegar, crushed garlic, freshly ground pepper and chopped pepper with lime juice.

17 Likes

That looks like the east bay, maybe around Richmond. When I’m down visiting my son in the marina area we stop by a place called Anh a Vietnamese restaurant. They have $5 appetizers at happy hour and East brother red ale.

6 Likes

Nice!

This was actually here:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bay-view-boat-club-san-francisco

Mission Bay, at Pier 48.

1 Like

Crispy deliciousness!!!

If I would have looked a little better I probably would have figured that out. My son lived in San Francisco for 6 years two of them in the sunset area so we ate our way around there for a couple years then he moved to telegraph Hill right in the hot spot of the food scene two blocks to China Town and basically you could fall off the side of telegraph and land in North Beach, lot of great eating went on for fours years there. one of my favorite things to do in Chinatown is something I call walking dim sum tour basically you went from the takeout spot to another while eating your way to the next one. now he lives in the Marina Bay district over in the East Bay so the food exploration has begun for us over there!

2 Likes

lotsa good eating all over the Bay Area!

I used to work on the edge of North Beach/Chinatown and it was a joy to discover a “new” food part of the City. I’ve lived in the Mission for 14 years now, and there’s so much good food there I rarely venture out. Except to the East Bay because I have friends and my sister living there.

1 Like

You have FRIENDS? You lucky duck. :wink:

2 Likes

friends LIVING THERE!!

2 Likes

But yes, i’m VERY POPULAR.

5 Likes