What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

We had leftover Peruvian chicken late this afternoon. After baby bedtime I made a quickie ramen-ish soup with poached egg, egg pappardelle, zucchini, and (powdered) tonkatsu broth with white miso stirred in.

17 Likes

Hamburger puck and potatoes with Bearnaise. Midweek comfort food!

16 Likes

Tonight, I made Rendang Chicken with Coconut Rice.

This dish demands attention and plenty of time. I started with a curry paste made from grinding lemongrass, ginger, galangal, shallots and dried chilis. Tempered some whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, star anise, cardamom) and fried with the curry paste before adding tamarind, the chicken, coconut cream, bruised lemongrass and lime leaves.

After simmering it down for a bit, I toasted some coconut flakes, ground it in a mortar & pestle and added that in alongside slivers of turmeric leaf. It simmered down some more before being finished off with a few fresh slivers of lime leaves for freshness.

17 Likes

Dinner did not go as planned last night. Meatless Monday and clearing out the veggie shelf, okay! Sautéed cabbage, carrots, bok choy, green onion. Served over ramen noodles, with a few potstickers. Topped with fried firm tofu, and cilantro. Sauce was sweet chili sauce, soy, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Once assembled, I wen to put three glass mason jar with the spare sauce, into the sink. Nope - instead the jar slipped, hitting the granite counter edge shattering everywhere. Counter, sink, front of the cabinets, and rug. Oh, and my hand.

So after picking glass out of my hand, bandaging, and cleaning up the mess, we ate coldish ramen bowls. F that!

DH brought dinner home tonight.

11 Likes

Love this.

Sorry for your accident. Ugh! The things we do for the love of cooking and food.

3 Likes

Cabeza y tripa are my faves… Me too, but I love me some good lengua & al pastor as well! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

That is such a bummer :pensive:… A friend came by this afternoon with tomato bounty from her garden! We had some pretty warm weather last week so I think she has been over run, lucky me!!!0820191555

17 Likes

:pensive: sorry about your accident…

2 Likes

OMG… That sucks a big one! I hope you are ok…

2 Likes

Tonight - a frugal pasta dish from Nigel Slater (Kitchen Diaries 1) - pappardelle, butter, chestnut mushrooms, parsley, Parmesan.

Slater claims that cooking the mushrooms slowly so they become sticky is very autumnal, which is in line with our current weather. That said, I’m not convinced this is going to be a winner - and certainly going to be a come down from last night’s restaurant meal (see UK board in a while for review).

5 Likes

Oh, no! That truly sucks. Hope your hand is okay. And that sauce, and all that cleanup.

3 Likes

No parsley?

This looks sooo good

No wine. I tend to keep that for the end of the week and the weekend. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Owie. And ugh on the mess! :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, but dried. Didn’t realize I had run out of fresh.

ow, your hand! sorry… dumplings look assuaging!

1 Like

yep, those too! and carne asada, and carnitas… carnitas may be the actual favorite, if I’m being honest. There’s really no bad taco flavor. Though chicken usually doesn’t do it for me.

2 Likes

The dishes looked delicious. Sucks for the hand. Hope it wasn’t too bad.

1 Like