What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Sometimes:blush: I let her know when she gets a nice response :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This looks sooo good @Presunto. Is that sea bass? When you say “in the sauce” you mean the juices from the tomatoes, no additional liquid right? Ohhh yes, just a few drops of fish sauce first. I was using it frequently in Italian tomato sauces and such until I peeped the amount of sodium in a spoonful and tucked it away in my cupboard until a recipe calls for it… like this one!

Since you know Barcelona, you probably know Cal Pep. But if you don’t know it, it’s time to make its acquaintance. We had the best meal in Barcelona there. In those days it was only open in the evenings, no reservations, and you had to stand in line for hours for a seat. These days they serve lunch 5 days a week, dinner 6 days, and they may take reservations. Recommended!

2 Likes

I think it’s more saucy tomatoes. You can remove much of the juices if you like it less saucy (I don’t even bother as you see in the photos). I’ve used tinned tomatoes, works fine.

The fish is seared salmon loin.

I just made these saucy tomatoes again this morning for lunch. Btw, they are also great with tofu (and mince).

6 Likes

Excellent!

Question for the WFD group: should we consider moving restaurant dinners to a sub/different thread? I enjoy reading about your meals out and viewing the drool-worthy photos - but do they feel a little out of place in our (home?)cooking discussion forum?

Sincerely not meant as a an attack or directed at any one person - just thinking it might be preferable to keep them distinct, like we try to do with lunch/breakfast posts usually. They wouldn’t have to go in a regional or restaurant-specific sub - maybe just a general “delicious restaurant dinners” thread not in the cooking forum.

We could do a poll, as in the COTM voting threads, to see if there’s consensus?

Or maybe I’m the only one it (slightly) bugs…:rofl:

5 Likes

Cal Pep is top notch.
They do not have a printed menú.
Their main tapas are:
Grilled Whole Squid
Tortilla Española
Baby squid with chickpeas
Tuna Tartare
Grilled Monkfish
Wines & Cavas are by glass and bottle

A few other gems in Barcelona are:
Quimet y Quimet ( one of the oldest bars in Barcelona, opened in 1914 and still going strong )
El Quim de Le Mercat de La Boqueria
Dos Pebrots owned by Chef Albert Raurich, a former Chef at the defunct El Bulli

It’s what I loved when first discovering this thread. It’s fluid and you folks put anything you’re having for dinner on one thread. Plus ya’ll post pictures of deer and discuss things like ticks and Lyme disease, seemingly without the presence of the off-topic police. It’s really fun. But I’m a newb, so whatever the rules are it’s cool with me. I already have a regular outlet for my restaurant obsession.

4 Likes

How about the original post go on the appropriate local board, and then the poster could copy that link or permalink and post it on the WFD thread saying they ate out at a restaurant and here’s the link if anyone wants to read about their dinner?

4 Likes

I’m sure that I am the biggest culprit of this, and apologize for taking over the thread with my weekend restaurant meals. I’ll cease to post my restaurant photos here if you like. I just wanted to share them with the whole group instead of just NJ :blush: It might make sense to start a new overall restaurant thread. I’ll do what everyone agrees upon. Just let me know since I’m going to a nice French restaurant with some friends tonight, but will not post about it here if you don’t want me to.

4 Likes

I thought it was odd that people posted restaurant meals on this thread because a lot of you are so spread out (another thing I like). But I went with it and it’s kinda’ fun.

2 Likes

That will probably be just as irritating to the peeps who are irritated. But you’re a nice negotiator. :hugs:

3 Likes

Christina, excellent point…but for me I enjoy anyone who cooks one night then eats in a restaurant the next, etc… posts it here…There are some "purist who only post their cooking experiences, like my self, but then there is the basic premise “What’s for Dinner”… Since most of us do cook and post their actual meals, so why not include all of “our” WFD experiences…
My mom is 90, and if I asked her WFD…she usually says …reservations…
I am having friends tonight for a meal, and I will post my dishes for the board…but last night I had a simple Tuna Ceviche, and some Al Pastor tacos in a great local Peruvian/Mexican restaurant… that’s me…

6 Likes

Keep on posting. @ChristinaM is right. And you are right, too. The flexibility on Hungry Onion is what I like about it. It was the stiffness that turned me off on Chowhound.

9 Likes

Cookie…I am glad you are here…You are a perfect fit with that kind of open mind…

2 Likes

E…Keep doing what you have been posting both globally and locally.
I appreciate your effort to do both…to the benefit of someone who maybe visiting New Jersey, an they can fall back on you for some great suggestions…(or maybe 20 of us showing up at you house where Mrs. P prepares some supper looking dishes (lol))))))))

6 Likes

Thanks @bcc @PHREDDY and @TheCookie! I appreciate it. I’ll abide by whatever the HO police suggest :blush:
@PHREDDY I would have loved to have seen the pictures from your Peruvian restaurant.

6 Likes

I vote keep it all under one thread :slight_smile:

9 Likes

One of the greatest benefits of the dinner thread is that it is a wellspring of ideas for all of us. I will probably see a restaurant meal here more than I would opening up a regional post. And seeing how the pros are handling a product is always educational.

6 Likes