What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

pimentos is same as smoked Spanish paprika
Always use it in paella and cataplana, just a pinch together with saffron.

1 Like

So wrong. it must be squidged.

2 Likes

Our cup of pattypan squash runneth over (garden). Tonight we stuffed it Lebanese style with lamb, riffing on this homey recipe. My tomato was from a hot house, so I added some tomato paste to the stuffing along with minced onion and garlic. To the sauce I added olive oil (sauteed the garlic) and Urfa pepper. Cooked 12 min on a rack in the IP, semi-natural release. Great one-pot meal. More dried peppermint and Urfa at serving with yogurt, plus sumac and Aleppo.

18 Likes

Long day with Mom. And got caught in pre-weekend Thursday traffic coming home. So an easy dinner was required.

Seasoned a small b/s chickie boobie with Penzeys Ozark seasoning blend and a bit of lemon powder, and sauteed in butter and olive oil, adding a sploosh of white wine near the end and covered to poach.

Sliced and put on a roll schmeared with honey-mustardaisse, topped with a couple of slices from a tomato picked at my sister’s and some lettuce.

A Thai pasta salad alongside with cooked broken spaghetti, sliced carrots, red bell pepper, and broccoli florets and a peanut-sesame sauce.

Vodka and Lemonade alongside. Two of 'em.

13 Likes

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with tomatoes right now. Good thing we’re heading to midcoast Maine to visit family that we have a fantastic time with and will share the bounty.

Tonight we feasted on the David Lebovitz tomato tart recipe that he posted in his monthly newsletter. We all agreed that it was very good. The tart has a ricotta, parm, dijon and herb base layered with tomatoes that are sliced, salted and patted dry, and topped with a generous sprinkling of gruyere.

He gives the option of cooking in a tart pan or free-form. I chose free-form, but next time would go with a tart pan with removable bottom to see if it’s easier to slide it onto a rack. I left it on parchment and (of course) the bottom steamed. I also baked it on the next to bottom rack, but would go with the bottom next time to increase browning. Silly mistakes. I was short on time and used a TJ’s frozen pie crust, which takes a bit of fiddling to piece back together, but is pretty tasty. My husband asked what the sweetener in the filling was. Just good tomatoes!

18 Likes

Me too.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/roasted-tomatoes-how-to-make-store-and-use/18623

1 Like

Do both , right !

1 Like

Looks so good! Your use of TJ’s frozen pie dough would make the tart approachable for me to try. I might have to make a copycat tart soon.

2 Likes

I need to pull out my IP when I get back home. This looks wonderful!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll make it again. As far as TJ’s crust goes, if you haven’t used it before, it can seem like a disaster. If it is too cold, it breaks into lots of pieces. As long as you are careful unrolling it and keep the pieces between the two sheets it comes in, you can press it back together with your fingertips and maybe roll over it a time or two with a pin. It really doesn’t take long even though it looks pretty scary. It stays pretty neat in the sheets, which are pretty nonstick, so you don’t need to add flour. It would also look prettier with some egg wash on the crust, but I don’t always love the taste of the cooked egg.

4 Likes

Thank you! My phone is the best camera I’ve ever owned!

3 Likes

Pizza night at Brothers Pizza in Red Bank, NJ. The spicy marinara was SPICY!

17 Likes

Yum! If you’re a fan, try the buffalo calamari…very good there.

1 Like

What a feast! And, Happy B-day!

3 Likes

How about this one from Food and Wine.?

I guess not. No STOG.

Maybe Spruce Eats Fried Peppers With Garlic

I’m so jealous. First year planting here in mt Shasta. Raised bed with Oregon spring tomatoes. Dolores the doe got to them . They never really took off . Looking like I’ll get less than two dozen off three plants . Have been watering and fertilizing with Maxsea .:disappointed_relieved:

Oh boy, that all looks so delicious

1 Like

Oh, no, that’s so sad and frustrating! Hopefully you’ll be able to figure out an effective way to protect them, but that’s a tough one. Ours are in Earthboxes and raised to waist-height, and the woodchuck still manages to have a hearty feast. Hopefully your luck will turn around and your efforts pay off.

2 Likes

Here you go Christina. This is adapted from an Austrailian radio program.

Fresh Plum Sauce

8 plump plums (we used Green Gage), washed, stoned and quartered. (Sounds like a punishment from days of old) lol😜
8 fresh sage leaves roughly torn
1 Turkish bay leaf
2 T EVOO
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup Chardonnay
1.5 T sugar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until sauce reduces and starts to thicken.
Brush on chicken breasts and baste 2 times per side.
You will of course want to keep some sauce separately to spoon over the chicken and in our case, rice.

Hope I didn’t over-hype this, I thought it was so delicious and fresh tasting. Enjoy!

Although we didn’t do it, the recipe said to marinate the chicken in the sauce first, which would probably taste even better. Then proceed to reduce the sauce, using some for basting and the rest for eating.

4 Likes

Happy late birthday!