What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Will you cook a goose again too? :wink:

no convincing needed here - it’s the same thing! i thought pa amb oli was without the tomato. Pan con tomate, or pa amb tomaquet, is always toasted/grilled bread rubbed with a cut garlic clove, olive oil, the pulp of a beautifully delicious grated tomato, and salt. This restaurant’s version mixed the tomato & olive oil together, but the bread was garlicky and there was flaky salt on the side. A true delight!

2 Likes

Can’t recall if I’ve done so already but have a wonderful birthday!
:birthday::champagne::fireworks:

This is how we serve our iberico or mangalitsa ham
However, we do not use salt because the hams are already salty
Typically, for a party, I use Campari tomatoes, good EVOO, crusty bread for guest to slice and rub with pre- peeled garlic. Campari tomatoes are great because each slice of bread uses the juice and pulp squeezed out of one Campari tomato .At first when my son introduced this to me, I thought it was wasteful; to throw aa the tomato after we cut it in half and sqeeze the juice and pulp out but realized that after doing so, the left over part of t he tomato has no taste at all.

1 Like

Aw, thanks! It was yum. Spreading out the prep over more than one day made it doable for a weeknight.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll be making both! Do you know if they freeze well?

Yes, they are fine frozen.

Pimentón is useful for a lot of different things, although 750 g will last you a long time! Here’s an article from the New York Times in which Mark Bittman, formerly a Times food columnist, goes overboard on it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/dining/24mini.html

Thank you!

NY Times piperade

Including Sofrito as well as frita.

Recipe: Frita, or Sweet Pepper and Tomato Compote

The frita from mr. N’s family recipe doesn’t use onion, but shit-tons of garlic, no sugar but with paprika and black pepper. Basil as a finishing touch if in season. I guess it’s more tart compared to the version you found.

1 Like

Too often I come across pan con tomate where the tomato is chopped or sliced as a topping, rather than squidged. Even in Spain. More Italian bruschetta than anything Spanish.

2 Likes

pimentos is same as smoked Spanish paprika
Always use it in paella and cataplana, just a pinch together with saffron.

1 Like

So wrong. it must be squidged.

2 Likes

Our cup of pattypan squash runneth over (garden). Tonight we stuffed it Lebanese style with lamb, riffing on this homey recipe. My tomato was from a hot house, so I added some tomato paste to the stuffing along with minced onion and garlic. To the sauce I added olive oil (sauteed the garlic) and Urfa pepper. Cooked 12 min on a rack in the IP, semi-natural release. Great one-pot meal. More dried peppermint and Urfa at serving with yogurt, plus sumac and Aleppo.

18 Likes

Long day with Mom. And got caught in pre-weekend Thursday traffic coming home. So an easy dinner was required.

Seasoned a small b/s chickie boobie with Penzeys Ozark seasoning blend and a bit of lemon powder, and sauteed in butter and olive oil, adding a sploosh of white wine near the end and covered to poach.

Sliced and put on a roll schmeared with honey-mustardaisse, topped with a couple of slices from a tomato picked at my sister’s and some lettuce.

A Thai pasta salad alongside with cooked broken spaghetti, sliced carrots, red bell pepper, and broccoli florets and a peanut-sesame sauce.

Vodka and Lemonade alongside. Two of 'em.

13 Likes

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with tomatoes right now. Good thing we’re heading to midcoast Maine to visit family that we have a fantastic time with and will share the bounty.

Tonight we feasted on the David Lebovitz tomato tart recipe that he posted in his monthly newsletter. We all agreed that it was very good. The tart has a ricotta, parm, dijon and herb base layered with tomatoes that are sliced, salted and patted dry, and topped with a generous sprinkling of gruyere.

He gives the option of cooking in a tart pan or free-form. I chose free-form, but next time would go with a tart pan with removable bottom to see if it’s easier to slide it onto a rack. I left it on parchment and (of course) the bottom steamed. I also baked it on the next to bottom rack, but would go with the bottom next time to increase browning. Silly mistakes. I was short on time and used a TJ’s frozen pie crust, which takes a bit of fiddling to piece back together, but is pretty tasty. My husband asked what the sweetener in the filling was. Just good tomatoes!

18 Likes

Me too.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/roasted-tomatoes-how-to-make-store-and-use/18623

1 Like

Do both , right !

1 Like

Looks so good! Your use of TJ’s frozen pie dough would make the tart approachable for me to try. I might have to make a copycat tart soon.

2 Likes

I need to pull out my IP when I get back home. This looks wonderful!

1 Like