What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Have you tried this:

2 Likes

Light dinner tonight…kani salad, shrimp cocktail, fresh figs.

Have a lovely long weekend, all.

R

3 Likes

Last night’s chicken was so reminiscent of a family dish I love, it struck me I have not made it in a couple of years.

So that’s WFD tonight.

Chicken in a simple gravy of onions, tomatoes, ginger, and garlic. The aromatics are finely minced rather than ground, and the resulting flavor is actually quite different. Whole garam masala and whole red chilies. Plus big chunks of potatoes to soak up the goodness.

It’s simmering on low at the moment, till the color looks right. We’re getting there… slowly.

Parathas and rice to accompany, and simply roasted cauliflower for veg.

Glorious weather here at the moment - hope everyone has a great weekend!

12 Likes

I cooked! I finally really, really cooked!

Having an extra day off to sleep in and run errands that aren’t shoehorned into a Saturday that’s already filled with other stuff definitely helps.

Steak tips marinated in my favorite Firecracker marinade recipe, grilled, and finished in the oven.

Baked tater with the PSTOB, s/p and sour cream, and sauteed sugar snap peas, corn, and red bell pepper with Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning.

And wine. Definitely wine.

13 Likes

Mango

Pork belly, roast potato, dill-creamed zucchini

Disappointing Chris Kimball/Milk Street French apple cake

13 Likes

In case anyone is interested we had an outstanding dinner at SLA Thai in Montclair, NJ. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

10 Likes

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Roast pork tenderloin seasoned w/s&p, garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, then into a pan with sliced onion, garlic cloves, citrus juices, and a little oil. Served with couscous cakes made with leftover camping couscous (i.e. already had chicken stock powder, dehydrated veg) that was cooked, added eggs and parm, fried. Sliced garden tomatoes with salt.

The cakes were great. A revelation. I’ve never known what to do with leftover couscous. I can now think of about 10 different ways I could serve them. With a fried egg. With applesauce. With garlic sauce. With tomato sauce and broiled cheese. As a veg patty in a burger bun…

16 Likes

Doing the low carb thing…not the greatest rolls but not bad

12 Likes

no, but I think I’ve led everyone astray. I was really only speaking of being mayonnaise challenged, I haven’t actually ever tried making a bearnaise or a hollandaise from scratch (ducks). but thanks for that link, now I shall have to try!

1 Like

looks fab to me. what is that delicious-looking crunchy fried thing - soft-shelled crab?

1 Like

Preserved tomatoes went over simply boiled, lightly salted and slightly crushed potatoes. So freaking good. I’m a potato monster, and this was earthy and deliciously sweet! Thanks again to all who inspired.

Butifarra sausages (yes, redundant!) from the farmer’s market - that’s what the meat purveyor called them - they were just garlicky and delicious. Local steamed artichokes, and a salad of FM red leaf lettuce, French feta, walnut olive oil and aged sherry vinegar. next time on crusty bread for those tomatoes.

Anyone ever had this butter? Found it at the new Indian grocery store by our apartment. It’s lovely, with a slight tang… Utterly Butterly!

butifarra%20%26%20preserved%20tomatoes

preserved%20tomatoes%20jarred

14 Likes

OMG YES! I love Amul…

Kerry Gold tastes similar to me (and is more easily accessible :))

3 Likes

I thought if anyone had it would be you! It does taste similar to Kerrygold, but a bit tangier.

1 Like

That sounds good and easy, and I would love some potatoes. I dug up some fingerlings to use in that salad with tuna, potatoes, green beans (also harvested some of those), but then I didn’t feel like cooking.

10 Likes

i’ve never had a freshly dug tater! I love Nicoise so much…

1 Like

Yes! Do you use a recipe?

This one from Bonappetit looks good. I’m doing it!

1 Like

not really… good olive-oil packed tuna, salt-packed/rinsed anchovies, steamed green beans, potatoes, olives, halved hard boiled eggs… sometimes lettuce, sometimes tomatoes. all with a very lemony shallot/dijon vinaigrette.

1 Like

ooh it does!! DO EEET!

1 Like

Found the last of my anchovies!

2 Likes