SLA Thai- Montclair, NJ

We had an outstanding dinner at SLA Thai. It was our first, but certainly not last, time there. Everything was bursting with flavor. The servers were all very friendly. It is a tiny little restaurant in the middle of a hidden strip mall. We. started off with some appetizers of excellent crispy duck salad with pineapple, apple, cashew nuts and fresh herbs; awesome spicy fish cakes with cucumber and vinegar. They had an herbal and spicy flavor that left your tongue tingling. Our last appetizer was Moo Ping - Thai grilled pork with jeaw dipping sauce. For entrees Mrs. P had a branzino arugula salad with mango, tomatoes, strawberries, in a vinaigrette dressing. I had Chu Chee Kung- shrimp in homemade curry paste, creamy coconut, carrots, string beans, and kaffir lime leaves. We had a refreshing purple yam ice cream for dessert. It all went great with an Italian primitivo wine.

11 Likes

Great report. Gorgeous photos, Eli.

2 Likes

Thanks Jimmy!

1 Like

Nice pics Eli. Save all that cilantro for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are those pretty hefty skewers I see? If so, they look really neat. Something about meat on a stick does it for me.

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny. I’m not a big cilantro fan but it went very well with the rest of the herbs and spices.
The pork skewers were nicely seasoned and a decent portion for $8.00. They came with a nice dipping sauce.

2 Likes

…and color!

We have a popular, tiny, little restaurant in a crumb Hollywood strip mall (Luv2Eat) putting out startlingly delicious street food. Spicy as hell.

1 Like

Sometimes those little dive places are the best. Luv2Eat sounds like a great place. You can’t judge a book by it’s cover. Some places spend all of their money on the building instead of the chef and food.

1 Like

Yah, it’s a smart move, especially when you don’t have big backers. Social media is a great avenue these small places.

1 Like

Hollywood…FL? CA? If it’s FL, I need to let my dad know!

It seems like it it is in CA.

2 Likes

Sorry. How L.A. of me… forgetting there’s another Hollywood.

No worries; the only reason I know the FL one is that I once lived there!

1 Like

Me too and I still forgot. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We enjoyed SLA Thai so much that we decided to come back a week later. Besides the awesome duck salad (that Mrs. P had as an entree this week), and the spicy fish cakes, we had prime beef salad with shallots, lime juice, and mint leaves, as well as Hoi Obb- steamed mussels with lemon grass, lime, and basil. The broth had so much depth and flavor. We just drank it like soup :yum: For an entree I had an awesome Gang Ped Yang- Peking duck breast with Thai eggplants, Thai basil, green beans, lychees, and pineapple in a spicy red curry sauce. We had a 2013 Bergevin Lane Moonspell cabernet to drink.

6 Likes

All looks incredible. Was it spicy?

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I asked them to make it a little spicy and it had a nice kick to it, but it wasn’t overpowering. You could still taste the various herbs.

1 Like

@paryzer

Fabulous looking Mussels …
Have a penchant for mollusks …
Truly quite wonderful I am sure.
Interesting, however, the actual Thai cuisine especially in Phuket Island, is quite different ! !
RESTAURANT ETHOS, PHUKET ISLAND, THAILAND.

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca! The mussels were delicious. I love the combination of lemon grass, lime, and basil with other Thai spices. The presentation from Restaurant Ethos looks gorgeous. The Chef from SLA Thai is from Northern Thailand, so I’m not sure if that makes a difference in the cuisine, as compared to Phuket Island.

2 Likes

@Paryzer,

The mussels that you had do look amazing. Glad to hear that you have such a lovely dinner.

The Chef, who prepared the clam & squid above, was born and raised in Northern Thailand however, of course, the products available on Phuket Island, are very different from the mainland … He uses alot of local caught wild fresh celaphoids, shellfish, fish, herbs and flora … Quite a magical experience.

Just like in any country the northern part and the southern or western part are quite different in terrain and perhaps bodies of wáter, climate etcetra …

Phuket Island is tropical …

Have a lovely evening.

2 Likes

( RESTAURANT ETHOS, PHUKET ISLAND )

2 Likes