What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

We’re leaving for camping this afternoon! Last night I marinated Epicurious’ Sticky Balsamic Ribs (SOFA KING GOOD) and roasted them early this a.m., made the glaze, and now they’re just awaiting glazing/grilling. Also made ratatouille, and muffaletta sandwiches. we’ve got fresh corn and all types of snacky/chippy/dippy things, too, and a cooler-full of booze. because for us, camping means stuff your pie-holes in nature!

We’re going to a lovely spot in Sonoma, Guerneville - Bullfrog Pond in Armstrong Woods. Can’t wait to get out of work, in 2 hours!

and the BF’s snacky dinner last night, to clean out the fridge before we left:

20 Likes

WHOA. I could get into camping if I was promised this kind of menu! Enjoy!!!

7 Likes

:laughing: thanks!

Not only your feast but Bullfrog Pond sounds like a hidden gem! Great find. I won’t spread the word!

2 Likes

Does that part of the world still host the Calaveras County frog jumping race?

1 Like

BEAUUUUUUtiful… enjoy the camp…I love getting up in the morning and smelling the earthy surroundings…Enjoy Miss M!

1 Like

thank you! we happened upon it ourselves, on visiting Armstrong Woods. It’s so charming! and we have a spot right along the pond.

thank you!

1 Like

yes, that’s about a 2+ hour drive from us to the east. Never been to the race, have you?
We’re going straight up the coast this weekend, but it’s almost the same amt. of time to get there.

Wrong county. It’s still yearly in the town of Angel’s Camp, Calaveras County. It’s actually about 20 miles “as the crow flies” from our weekend place where I’m typing now. Much farther on these narrow, twisty country roads.

1 Like

No, but I’ve been in the area where it’s held; it seemed like quite the scene 30+ years ago, imagine it still is, just with much older people lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh I do know about those twisty turny roads, the road from the coast to Redding and then to Weaverville can be quite nausea provoking.
As can a lot of others. I’m actually more familiar with other certain parts of Northern Ca - Sonora, Downeyville, Jackson, Nevada City, etc.

I love the Sierra Nevada Mountains and always feel home there. Of course it came from living in Reno, Nevada for 9 years.

2 Likes

Downieville! Nobody knows Downieville. For some 5 years we staying either in Downieville at the (then called) Snyders’ Lodge on the river, or camped on the river while we dredged and panned for gold. Our son’s first visit was when he was 5 weeks old. The Forks restaurant. Jim’s grocery.

And then there was the time that DH slipped on some shaly rocks at riverside and gashed his ankle badly. No md in town, so I had to drive him to Sierraville, over “the alps” at dusk where we found a public health doc who stitched him together much better than a big city ER.

1 Like

We are “off grid” between Sonora and Jackson.

1 Like

Very cool part of the world pilgrim!!

As an aside DH used to be a “hard rock” geologist and was getting his masters at Mackie School of mines at UNR. So we panned at various places, staked some claims in Nevada and had fun with it.

It is now his avocation, but we’re looking for more adventures and possibilities once he retires.

2 Likes

It was another gorgeous evening for al fresco dining. Fairway had a great sale on lobster for $5.99 a pound (including steaming and cracking them for you :slightly_smiling_face:). We had lobster with crispy sweet potato fries, and homemade guacamole with blue corn tortilla chips and ghost pepper chips from Trader Joes. We also had roasted and blistered mini and shishito peppers. It all went great with a 2011 Malbec. It was a perfect way to start the weekend.

20 Likes

You know I am only toll away…and could be there in an hours notice… looks…PERFECT

4 Likes

Rub it in; rub it in.

1 Like

TGIF. Hella week. But I actually walked out of work at 5:10 tonight. A miracle in and of itself.

Friday night dinner has become a semi-regular one:

Steak tips, grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven to medium-rare, with a drizzle of Ballymaloe Steak Sauce.

Baked tater with the PSTOB, salt/pepper, and sour cream.

Easy-peasy salad made with my buttercrunch lettuce, and sliced cukes and grated carrots and a drizzle of Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Oh, there was wine. Damn straight there was.

21 Likes

That is a striped bass. They are out west too near San Fran, but not native to those waters. They were brought over from the east coast.

@PHREDDY my uncle is the one that caught that one and he likes to fry them up simply. He cubes the fillets, batters them and dredges them in Italian bread crumbs. A little salt, pepper, peccorino Romano, and a tiny bit of garlic. He serves them with tarter sauce…quite simple.

8 Likes