What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

That’s a steal, especially considering how far you are from halibut waters. You did good & hope you enjoyed!

1 Like

FWIW, my local supermarket has halibut at £28.99 per kg which, if I’ve got my double conversion right, equates to about $18 per lb.

2 Likes

You are full of interesting information, no wonder you’re a writer!

Agree with you about the immigrants bringing so many culinary influences with them. Prior to the last few decades the people moving here were mostly from Europe or Eastern Europe. It really got interesting food wise with SE Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Korean, etc. However, I’ve noticed the UK,along with Canada have had much more Indian influence. Which only makes sense historically.

We’re lucky to eat with the variety & plentitude that we do.

I also hear you on back to the roots food and cooking.

2 Likes

It’s 16.99/lb with the Amazon Prime discount at Boston area Whole Foods this week. The regular price is 24.99 according to the store sale flyer, which also says it’s “sustainable wild-caught.” They seem to have a weekly pattern of Amazon Prime fish discounts the last few months; I hope that continues.

We have a couple of local fish markets that are a bit further away so we don’t shop at them as often as I’d like and also they close on the early side and aren’t open on Sunday. I haven’t been recently so I don’t know what their prices are. They go directly to the Boston fish pier, I’ve been told, and their quality is great.

The Whole Foods stores are much easier to get to, not inexpensive at all, but the quality has always been very good, so dependable. For the first few months after Amazon bought Whole Foods, they regularly ran out of stock especially for the fish on sale, but that seems to have resolved for the better. Whole Foods also no longer does “rain checks” so if you go to get a particular sale item and they are out of stock, you are out of luck.

1 Like

Going Italian the last few days.

Osso buco, this version used no tomato but lots of herbs: parsley, sage and rosemary.

Aubergine gratin with tomatoes, mozzarella and grated Parmesan.

Don’t know what went wrong, lots of liquid. So it was an utter failure even taste was still fine. Aubergine was sliced, drizzled with olive oil and roasted for 30 minutes in oven. Mozzarella were sliced and drained. A layer of aubergine and topped with mozzarella, tomates paste with sliced fresh onions and Parmesan, repeated 3 times. Cooked in oven for 30 minutes at 170°C

Served with 24 month old prosciutto.

12 Likes

I don’t often crave steak, but I’ve been craving it for a few weeks, so I gave in.

Of course I overcooked it while on the phone with a friend…

Still, delicious and totally hit the spot. The spinach was surprisingly good - garlic, olive oil, aleppo pepper. Maybe I was just very hungry :joy: (but I didn’t eat all the steak)…

Started with mozzarella and grape tomatoes dressed with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and my recent favorite chaat masala.

9 Likes

I know sometimes you just want that steak . Your body calling.

1 Like

To tired to cook, so a quick wedge salad, toasted baguette with cheese, and rose to drink.

10 Likes

Yep. Went to the store just for the steak, and when I looked down at my cart, I had three kinds of red meat in there… I buy red meat maybe twice a year…

4 Likes

Congrats Raptors and fans. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Enjoying the evening. Grilled cheese burger with sides . Cheers.

12 Likes

I think it’s one of those “time and place” things, that the immigration came along when Britons were becoming more interested in different foods. Jewish immigration around the late 19th century hardly had an impact - probably mainly due to that community assimilating itself into British society quite quickly. And Caribean immigration during the 50s and 60s simply didnt impact on British food culture. Nowadays things are much more diverse. At present, the largest groups of new immigrants are from eastern Europe and the Middle East. However, my prediction is that the former will also not impact on food culture - these are often skilled workers who are unlikely to set up restaurants not least as there is no real grouping together of the community (other than they have obviously migrated to urban areas. The Middle Eastern folk are already making an impact on the food scene.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Tofu cake

I just mixed cooked brown jasmine rice with cooked riced cauliflower :slight_smile:

Sure! Sauteed minced ginger, garlic, and scallion in a wok in grapeseed oil, then added thick julienned zucchini and thin sliced carrot. Seasoned with salt and a little bit of pepper. When the veggies were tender I removed to a serving bowl and tossed with Chinese black vinegar. Simple but delicious. I don’t think I even used any soy sauce.

1 Like

mmmm yum. I don’t think I have black vinegar but sounds like something I should have in my pantry!

Last night was smoked BBQ brisket, California mix with cheese sauce, and cukes with ranch dip.

I trimmed most fat from my portion. It was a little underdone so DH sous-vided the rest.

8 Likes

It’s a must! So good on…wait for it…cucumber salad :rofl:

3 Likes

Wife and I shared a nicely marbled NY strip from Costco. Pan seared in its own fat until nicely crusted. Served with oven roasted potatoes

16 Likes

HOLY CRAP THAT’S AMAZING!
:heart_eyes:

1 Like