What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

I think you’re probably right on the first count. I grew up in a time when few Britons travelled overseas for holidays - they’d be the relatively wealthy (which didnt include my family). It was really only in the 60s/ 70s that we started to be really exposed to “foreign” foods, as we travelled. That was also the time when there was significant asian immigration to the UK - both east asians (mainly through Hong Kong) and south asians (mainly Pakistanis). Both groups opened food outlets, as is the tendency of all immigrant groups.

I also agree with you that my personal tastes have changed. Born in 1950, my first years of eating were still in the time of postwar food rationing. That only added constraints on what, on reflection, was Mum’s limited cooking horizons. It’s probably fair to say that, at the time, “good food” in the UK was only “good” if it was French. That had changed by the 1970s and I started to enjoy other foreign foods, often quite highly spiced - that was a period when Britons really only went to an Indian restaurant, after the pubs had closed and you’d had much to much to drink.

However, my tastes have again changed in line with the developments in restaurants and in home cooking. I now have much more enjoyment about local seasonal produce and dishes with their roots in tradition. I’m sure that’s due to the “Modern British” chefs like Gary Rhodes who pioneered the new style of cooking.

9 Likes

I LOVE that you didn’t toss the food and turned the leftovers into something nice!

3 Likes

I was wondering if that would resonate with any others. :blush:

Licking my wounds after the Bruins’ loss last night in Stanley Cup Game 7…Funny how I always find solace here on HO.

Spring onion grew up going to our local farm which is 5 minute bike ride down the street. We threw him a 4.5 year birthday party this past weekend at another local farm (Chip-In in Bedford for those Onions in the Boston area). Needless to say, he loves farms and going to the farm stand. Whether he eats the vegetables from the farm stand that’s another story.

I purchased a bunch of halibut from WF yesterday when I saw the sale. We threw it on the grill and ate it atop giant macaroni shells, dotted liberally with freshly made basil pesto. Side of broccolini sautéed with garlic and lemons. And as usual, I forgot to take a photo. But it was really good.

8 Likes

Poor man’s quiche! Cheap family dinner. Pretty tasty (a word I abhor!).

1 Like

Great meal!

Oh man, yum!

1 Like

That looks fantastic

Nice fridge dive!

1 Like

Last night I made variations on Fuchsia Dunlop’s cumin beef, sweet and sour zucchini with carrots, and dry-fried green beans with ya cai. All served over cauli-brown rice.

12 Likes

Describe Cauli-Brown Rice?

OOH YUM. Please tell me more about that zucchini. I need to get out of my grilled zucchini rut.

This may help. We’ve been doing this recipe quite often since the mid 1980s - macaroni cheese, courgettes & bacon.

Probably my favourite way with courgettes/zucchini.

1 Like

Your meal looks fabulous! Did you like your spaghetti squash that way?

May I ask what a typical sale price for halibut is in your area? Ours never gets below about 17.99/lb & we are in the Puget Sound Area.

1 Like

I hate throwing away food. It still happens, but I try my best. My mom is a magician at transforming leftovers (probably because my dad is allergic to them, lol), so that’s always an inspiration :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that - sounds delightful!

Have a friend in Orange County, will put that on the to do list next visit. Along with the old Mexican place in San Juan Capistrano.

1 Like

Your impossible pie brought back memories. I too thought it was bland back in the '80’s, so made a few adjustments & additions even then. They also had an Impossible taco pie which was great.

I even made the cheeseburger one a couple years ago, when a young niece was visiting.

So busy back in the day, raising kids and working full time, the quick recipes were a godsend, if not exactly healthy.

1 Like

At full price at Boston area Whole Foods and at farmers markets, it’s $24/lb. I never make the trip to other vaunted fish markets in the area so that price may vary. On sale at Whole Foods this week, it was $17/lb.

May I (timidly) ask what kind of fish that is? I know what it looks like to me, but you’re on the other coast.