What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

That’s a successful kid meal in my book!

2 Likes

My d-i-l has been a bear-cat since day one. The children are exposed every day to a multitude of vegetables and fruits, lean meats/poultry, only complex carbs and almost no refined sugar, Snacks are raw vegetables, fruit and cheese. They will eat a balanced plate, especially when they know that here they will have ice cream after turning in an empty plate. It is both joyous and tender that they are absolutely thrilled with a single smallish scoop of ice cream (with a hearty squirt of caramel sauce!)

5 Likes

The WEBER escaped its confinement this afternoon! Beautiful day. Fresh fuel. Why not?

18 Likes

I had my son and his girlfriend over for lunch today. I’m in an airbnb so shopping and cooking is a challenge. Managed to serve some chicken gyoza, followed by Vietnamese grilled chicken, quick mapo tofu, pesto potato salad. It was OK but not my best.

8 Likes

Sunday Morning was quiet.

Sunday Afternoon was frustrating when Gmail decided to go all wonky and I couldn’t get a code sent to my work email to be able to access Salesforce from my home computer to try and get a leg up on my May billing of our clients.

After much gnashing of teeth (and a shit ton of swearing), I got the first batch of billing done…and then heavy duty rain moved in so I had to rush around closing affected windows. And then it moved out over a period of about a half hour.

Earlier today, I had made a savory herb butter with some Bittersweet Farms herb blend with some garlic powder and extra dried parsley and tucked it under the skin of a Frankenchicken boobie with a smidgen on top with some Camargue Sea Salt.

Roasted for a half hour at 425°, then finished at 375° until it was just a smidge above 165° internal temp.

Sauteed carrots and sugar snap peas in butter and olive oil and seasoned with Penzeys Fox Point Seasoning.

Wine.

15 Likes

We had an excellent dinner out at Fin Raw Bar and Kitchen in Montclair.
We shared several appetizers of crispy edamame potstickers with scallion aioli and a citrus ponzu dipping sauce; Yellowfin ahi tuna tartar with avocado, scallions, in a citrus ponzu sauce; crispy calamari with shishito peppers, and chunky tomato relish. For entrees Mrs. P had the Lobster and shrimp Shanghai in a ginger curry sauce, with sautéed spinach and shoestring potatoes. I had a beautifully charred 24 ounce wood grilled 28 day aged Cowboy steak au poivre with crispy herbed fries. The steak went great with a 2014 Baer Ursa, a Columbia Valley red blend consisting of merlot, cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and malbec.

11 Likes

Child # 5 26th birthday yesterday…# 3 daughter (very pregnant) and hubby at a long time family favorite restaurant in Manhasset ; Café Continential, (which was just sold to the bartender) .
Fantastic drinks, appy’s and mains… no pictures of the food :smirk:
But a great meal none the less:
Hot antipasto
Bacon Wrapped shrimp
Burrata and diced tomato
Flounder in horseradish crust
Broccolini, sausage with risotto
Linguine with white clam sauce
Chicken with artichokes
Chicken Scarpiello
All served family style one dish at a time with grilled vegetables and roasted red potatoes Each of us had a small green salad along side with a simple mustard vinegar, and EVOO dressing.
Hey after eating at this restaurant for 25 years, they do treat us well…
Oh and by the way…wine; a PSTOW

10 Likes

A lazy Sunday dinner after a very good but tiring weekend. Mesquite seasoned chicken thighs in a frying pan (too windy to grill,) big garlicky buttery chunks of fresh zucchini and some halved cherry tomatoes to round it out.

12 Likes

Wonderful meal last night at a new-to-me izakaya. Can’t wait to go back!
Yellowtail collar in miso broth
Spicy salmon and avocado “tacos” on tempura nori
Yakitori - tsukune/meatballs, chicken with nori and yuzu kosho, molten center eggs with bacon and truffle
Grilled corn strips
Grilled squid with miso butter (that butter though…)

Earlier in the week - warm mixed bean (moong, moth, black eyed peas) salad with the spicing from a maharashtian dish called Usal.

Chawanmushi with spicy chili crisp - tried a new cooking technique, didn’t love it. Custard was still tasty, though.

And that cured salmon has been too easy to peel off from the freezer. Griddled bun (yeah, still those hot dog buns :joy:) was tasty.

13 Likes

Tomatoes, goat cheese, basil, mint, balsamic, EVOO.

For me, new greens with Momofuku “ranch” dressing.

Linguini with scampi style prawns: shallots, garlic, herbs des provence, thyme, parsley, white wine, splat of butter, pasta water, thickened with crumbs

13 Likes

Great pics Eli! Did you happen to know what kind of wood? As you know, I live rib eye and all things cooked over wood. I’m salivating :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny! Sorry, I don’t know what type of wood was used, but the rib eye was delicious and had a nice char to it.

After a morning cleaning up after and feeding goats, I prepped salad greens for the week, made a big batch of green goddess dressing, cooked up some fresh TJ’s peas with the last of the pancetta for tomorrow night, and prepped tonight’s dinner: pork burgers with grated ginger & garlic, mae ploy, fish sauce, sesame oil, and cilantro. Super juicy. also made a cabbage slaw with green onion, dressed in mayo, rice vinegar, sesame oil, mae ploy, sriracha, and lemon juice, that came out a little soppy but really delish, and went great on the burgers. toasted english muffins turned out to be the perfect choice - they weren’t too bready for the burgers, which shrank down to slider size.

then, an experiment, with the leftover coconut/turmeric bucatini from last week - I made pseudo arancini! they turned out nice and crispy, but were a pain in the ass to keep together and needed a sauce, and even though they screamed out for cheese in the middle, the thought of pairing a coconut/turmeric thing with cheese just didn’t sound right to me.

18 Likes

I have a “kitchen” in my flat but it’s barely usable so I have been making the simplest meals. Can’t really do much anyway being on a small island, at least there’s a tiny supermarket where I can get some basic things.

10 Likes

Here too, I was working and needed to use gmail, it was weird the whole evening. This morning is fine again.

Loved your chicken crust, mind you the CRUST. :wink:

Ugh, I was wondering if it was just me, local to our company, or more widespread. Sorry it was more widespread…for both of us!

I knew it was their problem, both of my gmail accounts were down!

Great meal, as usual. I want that potato, might see if I have time to make it.

1 Like

Happy birthday to Child #5! You have a big family!! A lot of celebrations and meals!
Clam! Chicken Scarpiello!

4 Likes

Hahaha! You did a great job to keep those together!

1 Like