What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Would like to offer my condolences as well to you & your fair city. What a devastating loss! Hopeful that it can be restored and grateful the main structure is sound. Daughter and SIL were just there last April and really enjoyed seeing it.

3 Likes

Thanks @lambchop and @mariacarmen! Today, president promised that the cathedral would be rebuilt in 5 years (vs experts’ thought of 20 years). It’s amazing since nobody is allowed to go near to the site to investigate the damage of the foundation especially there is still risk of collapsing, so how does he know how much time is needed for restoration. Anyway, election is coming soon, campaigning first.

5 Likes

i heard that! yes, it struck me as being a little too optimistic, but we can all hope!

2 Likes

Roasted salmon with herbs d’Provence, saffron pappardelle with ramps, and bibb lettuce salad with zucchini and orange-muscat vinaigrette.

The toddler helped with my salmon and I saved 1/3 of the pasta.

15 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit @naf and @mariacarmen , I actually didn’t sleep much last night overthinking and trying to talk myself into it but i just can’t. Sooooo many red flags! Fingers crossed I have a promising interview arranged as of today elsewhere…

Stopped in at a bodega on the other side of harlem and after questioning the counter guy in spanish he promised their beans and rice didn’t have any meat or lard or anything, so i picked up a little container (someone who isn’t me would have been thrilled with the assortment of stewed chicken and fried fish and such). More bean sauce/juice than I expected but also really delicious

Side of some veggies for crunchy stuff and a few olives

Will definitely have another choco hazelnut pudding cup as dessert, it’s very chocolatey and nice bit of hazelnut flavor

13 Likes

Fava/broad bean and potatoes cooked with coconut and cilantro, over rice. Came close to a home favorite mom makes.

ETA: dessert = mango season

14 Likes

Nice! I can almost smell it!
Do you know what kind are in season and from where? I can’t seem to get a handle on that.

1 Like

These are the standard champagne / ataulfos that are everywhere at the moment - I don’t really eat any others, they’re usually too fibrous.

I was so hopeful, because I’ve waited a couple of days for the mangoes to smell and feel just right… but they still weren’t there flavor-wise. Two more to go from the current batch, will wait longer.

So I went on an internet search to figure out if Alphonsos are on their way yet… not quite, but soon :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Some hu tieu style noodle soup with wontons, shrimp, and store bought fishballs from the freezer.

18 Likes

You are the soup master! (And I’m a soup fiend who doesn’t make soup)

1 Like

First (very meager) asparagus from the garden yesterday! The kid wanted nothing to do with it, but ate salmon. Good enough!

19 Likes

Nice! Never planted asparagus before, didn’t know that their sizes differences are so big.

1 Like

Asparagus is fun. It is a good lesson in patience since it takes at least a year or two to get going. I have a very small area devoted so I hardly get any but I love to let it go. It is so beautiful. My mom has 2 - 50ft rows. :astonished:

8 Likes

Dinner was cast iron pan roasted salmon filet, seasoned with salt, butter, garlic chives and rosemary. A salad to go with - romaine, broccoli, cabbage with honeyed almonds and a maple bourbon dressing. All delicious.

6 Likes

“It is a good lesson in patience”

Gardening offers so many great ways of thinking about things!

2 Likes

I see salmon was trending last night :rofl:

We made sous vide beef roast finished on the grill, cauliflower mash, zucchini with ramp butter, and blue cheese wedge salads. Play/dinner date.

12 Likes

Went with a lemon chicken in a white wine sauce for dinner tonight. Served on leftover basmati rice with asparagus alongside.

And wine poured from when I got home was augmented with more. Like DUH. I’m on vacay until next Wednesday.

16 Likes

I was laughing so hard the other day! This guy bought a mango from the street vendor, pulled out a little pocket knife, peeled back the skin a ways in like two or three strips and proceeded to eat it like a peeled banana while walking down 125th! :joy: what the what??! Quite frankly i was in awe of his skills. And wondering how he would manage the drippy juices…

8 Likes

Quick coleslaw broccoli thing, used bagged coleslaw mix and added in a little broccoli. Cider vinegar, lots of black pepper, dijon and a spoon of Just Mayo. Not my best effort but good enough

And some of the fantastic red lentil curry coconut soup i had stashed in the freezer. Looked better last time i had it so here’s a reminder

Also munched a few meatless balls, it’s totally weird but i like them plain. Kombucha to drink.
Apparently i had the last pudding cup as a breakfast dessert… ? Hmm. Might make hot chocolate unless i find something better around here.

6 Likes

If I don’t slice it and put it in a bowl then I eat mangos over the kitchen sink in private!

7 Likes