What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

And don’t get me started on the seed!

5 Likes

Too bad you didn’t make a video, it would have been a great hit!

2 Likes

Very satisfying dinner! TV Meal before Top Chef. The last 4 candidates had to beat each other to win 2 individual games to be qualified, so far, 3 candidates each got 1 win. The talents of candidates of this 10th Top Chef (FR) are very impressive. Unlike in the past, there were one or two standing out, and you knew from the beginning which one will be at the final. This season there are at least 5 or 6, one of the best season I must say.

WFD started with Ottolenghi’s tuna confit fricassée salad, inspired from a Tunisian sandwich. Fresh tuna added to warm olive oil, bay leaves, rosemary and Kampot red and white peppercorns, made a day before. Salad consisted of red endive, lettuces, oven-cooked turmeric and salt seasoned potatoes grilled bell peppers confit, lemon confit, black olives, capers, parsley, harissa and lime juice. Didn’t add the eggs, but still damn good.

Recipe (2nd one):

Followed by a cabbage farci, it was so much better the next day with the resting and reheating. Cabbage leaves cooked 3 minutes, the recipe said 10, and I ended with a mushy stuff full of holes, good only for a soup. Pan cooked pince pork, smoked bacon, cooked ham, chopped onion, garlic, crushed Juniper berries, bay leaves and thyme for about 10 minutes. Tossed in some torn bread (didn’t have any bread crumbs or dried bread). Wrapped everything with the cabbage leaves. Chopped more carrot, fennels, parsley, more bay leaves, more crushed Juniper berries, barely covered the vegetables with chicken broth with tomato sauce. Cooked in oven for over an hour.

Before oven

19 Likes

It was a long day…and I wasn’t even at work.

Drove Mom to the doctor’s for a regular follow-up appointment, then to my sister’s for a late lunch and recap of the appt., early holiday weekend traffic to get to Wegmans, then even more holiday traffic trying to get home (thank goodness for knowing the back roads). THEN back on the road for a haircut that I moved up from Saturday, since that day is supposed to be icky, weatherwise.

Got home and finally got to made the meatball, caramelized onion, sauteed mushrooms and red pepper pizza.

There was wine.

22 Likes

Oh my! Stunning pizza!

2 Likes

Vicariously doing what you do through you!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great flavor combo

1 Like

Chicken kati rolls tonight. Egg-coated parathas, stuffed with chicken kababs (freezer), sumac pickled onions, cilantro, and lemony sautéed broccoli slaw on the side.

Last night was ramen - totally forgot I had made dinner plans until 5pm when my dinner partner texted to ask where we were meeting :joy:.

12 Likes

A full day with lots of driving up to Vermont and back home in a roundabout way, not buying anything while antiquing but still having a very good day.

The warm weather, open car windows, and a good music list where I could sing at the top of my lungs definitely helped.

Bring it on, Saturday rain! My good mood shall defeat you! Hah-hah!!!

I made an easy dinner: Trader Joe’s Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomato Ravioli with Brown Butter and Sage Sauce and Toasted Pine Nuts. I made some garlic bread from some leftover sourdough bread.

And wine. To assuage my lack of antique purchasing.

There was some fudge from The Vermont Spot in Quechee for dessert.

14 Likes

Working a quick freelance thing for my friend that’s been fun but time consuming- got home a bit late last night and just called some popcorn and apple with pb good enough.
Today was crazy gorgeous and i got a nice bike ride in on my way to meet my friend on the upper east side. The tulips on park ave are blooming!

We discovered that “ralph’s coffee” at their madison ave store is actually fantastic in a quiet beautiful space with lots of comfy seating- rare find in the city. And a funny lopsided heart in my cortado

Headed home i was not in the mood to deal with the store, picked up an “avocado salad” from the street truck- only had to repeat myself twice that I didn’t want meat or cheese on it so I’m calling that a win that he didn’t put either on it. Kinda lame but whatever. Had a few meatless balls and some kombucha too

11 Likes

Adding my after-dinner yogurt - just getting back into making it at home, culture and texture isn’t what it should be, but it usually takes until the second or third bowl to straighten out with a bit of tinkering.

8 Likes

Saturday brunch: A Snowbird Fizz (using prosecco and freshly squozen grapefruit juice), and thin-sliced challah French Toast, albeit a bit over-browned.

The rain has stopped…for now…but the humidity is crazy insane inside the house…65%. Will have to pull out the room fan, as the breeze from the open slider window isn’t enough to cool it off.

14 Likes

Sounds good, the snowbird fizz!

My skin (especially hands) and my orchid will be totally fine with that. 28% in the room right now.

4 Likes

Gyudon, Japanese beef and onion rice bowl. I still think Yoshinoya’s was a bit better. At least from my memory from my student days.

Japanese rice cooked in rice cooker. Sauce slightly reduced with anchovy stock, pork bones, soy sauce, sake, sugar, sesame oil. Thinly sliced onion was added and cooked until translucent. Added mushroom, Finally added the thinly slice beef and stopped the heat. Tossed everything on the rice with some finely cut scallion and an egg in each bowl.

Cucumber sliced with rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, water and Shichimi.

15 Likes

Plenty of cooking going on here, but nothing too exciting. Two varieties of stuffed peppers. One with basmati, hot Italian sausage, feta, parm and lots of onions and garlic. The other was a veggie version with barley instead of rice and walnuts replacing the sausage. Homely (I’ll spare you the pictures) but good comfort food.

Whole Foods had gorgeous, seriously fresh halibut the other day. That went into Giada’s Halibut with Crispy Shallots and Lemon Butter. I’ll use that recipe again, although I did manage to overcook the first batch of shallots and undercook the second batch. Paired with broccolini and some excellent local focaccia with a hacked (from the NE chain Not Your Average Joe’s) garlic-romano dipping oil, that meal also hit the spot.

Last night there was takeout smoked brisket and leftover focaccia to use up, and I happened to be making a large batch of caramelized onions for an Easter potato gratin. That all turned into brisket grilled cheese, with the onions adding a nice savory bit of sweetness. Leftover takeout potato salad and cole slaw rounded out the meal.

I’m lacking inspiration for tonight since I’ll be making a carrot cake and assembling the gratin for dinner at my sister-in-law’s.

And, five pounds of onions reduced to this little pile.

18 Likes

That’s eye-opening! Was it tasty?

4 Likes

The onions were really sweet and silky. I actually watched them pretty carefully and cooked them for about 1 1/2 hrs, stirring very frequently toward the end instead of spacing out and letting them brown too much on the bottom. I’m looking forward to having them in the gratin tomorrow. They added a lot to the sandwich.

8 Likes

Here’s what I started with.

5 Likes

Wow. Gimme a spoon!
Nice pan.

2 Likes

Vietnamese-ish meatballs(the last of them), lemony broccoli slaw, and rice for a late lunch / very early dinner.

Going out later for drinks and tapas.

———

12 Likes