What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

HAHAHAHA! good one!:laughing:

1 Like

omg, all that seafood looks swoony!

1 Like

That book is so good! Love the essays. I have to look for it on my bookshelf now…

1 Like

The octopus looks nice and meaty! I’m always disappointed with the skinny tentacles I find in frozen octopus here…

1 Like

It is rare and it was fresh, mr. n said the octopus was huge with head and everything, he just asked to cut 2 tentacles. I have dealt with much smaller ones but this size was the first time.

Pork schnitzel and broccoli cheese. Country sourdough with ramp cream cheese and rosé bubbly to start.

12 Likes

Ramp cream cheese sounds divine. My ramps are flourishing right now and ready to be harvested - thank you for the lovely suggestion!

2 Likes

Left at home alone tonight because of a family situation, so just did a pressed corned beef sandwich. Underneath the corned beef is a ST of French’s Yellow Mustard. Nice gut filler.

9 Likes

Ugh. Interview today all sounded good on paper but in real life i left with my gut telling me it’s a hot mess I shouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole.
Dinner of Stuff On Salad! Sunflower seeds, olives, edamame, sunflower seeds, scallions, cilantro, and tempeh

The market closest to me always tests new “fancy” things that they price astronomically, then no one buys it, and then i get lucky when they put it on clearance!
Today was this hazelnut chocolate pudding which will obviously be dessert with my tea

16 Likes

Simply spiced roasted chicken thigh, shaved radish salad with zhoug and pepitas, and coconut rice.

10 Likes

@naf I can’t believe what happened in your beautiful city. Hope you are consoling yourselves with something beautiful to eat.

5 Likes

Go with your gut.

4 Likes

I agree with @LindaWhit, your gut tells you more than sometimes your mind, go with your instinct.

@digg and @shrinkrap Thanks. The fire was impressive, got the lesson that nothing is permanent and should be more grateful to things we have.

7 Likes

It was difficult to cook yesterday, with the tv on at 8pm, initially for the speech of Macron on his answers to yellow vest, but instead saw the surrealistic drama. Changed the meal plans and did something more simple. The Korean rice cake soup with brisket. Sliced rice cake was bought a while ago, but no time to cook. Brisket cut in sliced, browned for a few minutes in high heat and cooked with water covered for 25 minutes. Added seaweed, sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, fish sauce and finally the rice cake. The beaten egg and chopped scallion added at the end. I read this was a new year dish for the Korean. A comforting and energetic meal. I used the recipe from the Kimchi Chronicles. The author suggested leaving out egg.

The beef was at the bottom.

Stirred and a mess. The taste was good. No wonder why the Korean like to have the bowl at the beginning of a year.

17 Likes

I’m no arbiter of authenticity but man, that’s a very authentic-looking bowl of duk gook. I think I know what we’re having for dinner tonight, especially since my mom is staying with me. It’s one of my top 5 comfort foods.

6 Likes

Sounds delicious

1 Like

naf, you live right in Paris, don’t you? Very, very sad about the fire. Such a beautiful place, it will be devastating to see it in person again in its current state. :cry:

6 Likes

run away! run away! something worthy of you shall surely turn up.

4 Likes

BF’s tummy still not 100%, and I worked late, so last night’s dinner for 1 was simply a pork chop that marinated in yogurt, crushed garlic, soy sauce, a little brown sugar, and s&p since Sun. a.m. Yogurt kept it juicy and tender, even though i overcooked it.

14 Likes

Nice. Very nice.

1 Like