What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

The onions were really sweet and silky. I actually watched them pretty carefully and cooked them for about 1 1/2 hrs, stirring very frequently toward the end instead of spacing out and letting them brown too much on the bottom. I’m looking forward to having them in the gratin tomorrow. They added a lot to the sandwich.

8 Likes

Here’s what I started with.

5 Likes

Wow. Gimme a spoon!
Nice pan.

2 Likes

Vietnamese-ish meatballs(the last of them), lemony broccoli slaw, and rice for a late lunch / very early dinner.

Going out later for drinks and tapas.

———

12 Likes

Used some of the Vermont Maple Rub I purchased yesterday on half a pork tenderloin and pan-seared it, then simmered it in some chicken stock. It was fair. More peppery than mapley.

Lime-scented Israeli couscous and sauteed sugar snap peas and corn sprinkled with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning alongside. There was wine. It is, after all, only Saturday!

13 Likes

It’s the weekend, so we had another spectacular dinner out at Laurel and Sage in Montclair, NJ. Below are the details and mouth watering pictures.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Seared scallops, caramelized fennel, bulgur-quinoa blend with pesto and parm, and pickled yellow beets. Beige plate.

Chocolate and bunnies tomorrow. My eyes are bleeding from all the bright plastic.

14 Likes

Two days ago I made lentil soup with bratwurst and forgot to report:

11 Likes

Lamb kebabs with two sauces - tzatziki and kalamata olive aioli. I marinated the lamb in a spice paste of garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, mint and cilantro, and reserved a spoonful of this paste to make the olive sauce. Green beans sauteed with lemon and browned butter to accompany.

13 Likes

Easter has never been a big “holiday” for my family, other than me enjoying the Spring lamb we always had (and my sister hating).

Mom didnt need me with her today, so I had a quiet day to myself. But I still went with my usual dinner. Because…lamb.

The leg of lamb had minced fresh rosemary, minced garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil combined into a thick paste, slathered over the roast.

Potatoes were steamed and then roasted in olive oil, salt, pepper, and Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset seasoning (with extra Aleppo Pepper added).

Asparagus was simply steamed. Wine was poured. And everything was served with Ballymaloe Mint Sauce/Jelly. And it was very good. With lots of leftover lamb for future meals.

18 Likes

Vicariously enjoying it with you as always.

Husband prefers neither lamb nor ham, both of which I associate with Easter :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Ham slices are made for your situation!

2 Likes

Quickie tonight - kind of forgot it was a holiday despite brunch and egg hunt this morning. Grilled turkey kielbasa, soupy red beans and rice, and kale salad with lemon dressing. My babe helped make the dressing; always a good thrill.

We walked to ice cream later. I had toasted coconut and chocolate for the Mounds effect.

17 Likes

Oooh, i want the cardamom and cinnamon ice creams!

2 Likes

Lovely easter late brunching/lunching with friends, sunshine and lovely rose champagne. I made a rainbow carrot radish salad with pistachios, currants, capers, cilantro, and a dijon peppery vinegrette

My favorite six year old decided he liked guacamole today (previously only wanted avocado plain), he was very good about not double dipping!

It was a mexican themed spread because why not?? There was a cabbage slaw, fantastic from scratch garlicky black beans, mexican rice, tortillas, mango salsa, pico de gallo, roasted brussel sprouts, chips, guacamole, and a braised lamb thing for the omnis

My first plate, second one i did brussel sprout taco

Another guest brought an italian ricotta cheesecake for dessert, i had a little taste and it was delicious and fluffy and lemony.

Wasn’t especially hungry tonight, i polished off the extra pistachios i had bought for the salad and had the little tupperware they sent me home with of black beans and cabbage slaw

19 Likes

Your photo of the cheesecake and berries is particularly lovely! Just captures spring time.

5 Likes

Beautiful weather here today, so I fired up the smoker for ribs. Sides were fennel slaw and tofu mac and cheese, which actually turned into more of a cheesy broccoli casserole when I realized I only had a small package of tofu in the fridge and was too lazy to go get more. Low carb rhubarb-lime cheesecake bars for dessert - I winged these, which is always risky when dealing with low carb dessert ingredients, but they turned out incredibly well.

14 Likes

Low carb cheesecake bars sound intriguing - is there a recipe?

While I love the Bounty homage, the Cadbury egg flavor has me curious. But I’d end up where I usually do… chocolate and salted caramel.

3 Likes