What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Ugh. Interview today all sounded good on paper but in real life i left with my gut telling me it’s a hot mess I shouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole.
Dinner of Stuff On Salad! Sunflower seeds, olives, edamame, sunflower seeds, scallions, cilantro, and tempeh

The market closest to me always tests new “fancy” things that they price astronomically, then no one buys it, and then i get lucky when they put it on clearance!
Today was this hazelnut chocolate pudding which will obviously be dessert with my tea

16 Likes

Simply spiced roasted chicken thigh, shaved radish salad with zhoug and pepitas, and coconut rice.

10 Likes

@naf I can’t believe what happened in your beautiful city. Hope you are consoling yourselves with something beautiful to eat.

5 Likes

Go with your gut.

4 Likes

I agree with @LindaWhit, your gut tells you more than sometimes your mind, go with your instinct.

@digg and @shrinkrap Thanks. The fire was impressive, got the lesson that nothing is permanent and should be more grateful to things we have.

7 Likes

It was difficult to cook yesterday, with the tv on at 8pm, initially for the speech of Macron on his answers to yellow vest, but instead saw the surrealistic drama. Changed the meal plans and did something more simple. The Korean rice cake soup with brisket. Sliced rice cake was bought a while ago, but no time to cook. Brisket cut in sliced, browned for a few minutes in high heat and cooked with water covered for 25 minutes. Added seaweed, sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, fish sauce and finally the rice cake. The beaten egg and chopped scallion added at the end. I read this was a new year dish for the Korean. A comforting and energetic meal. I used the recipe from the Kimchi Chronicles. The author suggested leaving out egg.

The beef was at the bottom.

Stirred and a mess. The taste was good. No wonder why the Korean like to have the bowl at the beginning of a year.

17 Likes

I’m no arbiter of authenticity but man, that’s a very authentic-looking bowl of duk gook. I think I know what we’re having for dinner tonight, especially since my mom is staying with me. It’s one of my top 5 comfort foods.

6 Likes

Sounds delicious

1 Like

naf, you live right in Paris, don’t you? Very, very sad about the fire. Such a beautiful place, it will be devastating to see it in person again in its current state. :cry:

6 Likes

run away! run away! something worthy of you shall surely turn up.

4 Likes

BF’s tummy still not 100%, and I worked late, so last night’s dinner for 1 was simply a pork chop that marinated in yogurt, crushed garlic, soy sauce, a little brown sugar, and s&p since Sun. a.m. Yogurt kept it juicy and tender, even though i overcooked it.

14 Likes

Nice. Very nice.

1 Like

Would like to offer my condolences as well to you & your fair city. What a devastating loss! Hopeful that it can be restored and grateful the main structure is sound. Daughter and SIL were just there last April and really enjoyed seeing it.

3 Likes

Thanks @lambchop and @mariacarmen! Today, president promised that the cathedral would be rebuilt in 5 years (vs experts’ thought of 20 years). It’s amazing since nobody is allowed to go near to the site to investigate the damage of the foundation especially there is still risk of collapsing, so how does he know how much time is needed for restoration. Anyway, election is coming soon, campaigning first.

5 Likes

i heard that! yes, it struck me as being a little too optimistic, but we can all hope!

2 Likes

Roasted salmon with herbs d’Provence, saffron pappardelle with ramps, and bibb lettuce salad with zucchini and orange-muscat vinaigrette.

The toddler helped with my salmon and I saved 1/3 of the pasta.

15 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit @naf and @mariacarmen , I actually didn’t sleep much last night overthinking and trying to talk myself into it but i just can’t. Sooooo many red flags! Fingers crossed I have a promising interview arranged as of today elsewhere…

Stopped in at a bodega on the other side of harlem and after questioning the counter guy in spanish he promised their beans and rice didn’t have any meat or lard or anything, so i picked up a little container (someone who isn’t me would have been thrilled with the assortment of stewed chicken and fried fish and such). More bean sauce/juice than I expected but also really delicious

Side of some veggies for crunchy stuff and a few olives

Will definitely have another choco hazelnut pudding cup as dessert, it’s very chocolatey and nice bit of hazelnut flavor

13 Likes

Fava/broad bean and potatoes cooked with coconut and cilantro, over rice. Came close to a home favorite mom makes.

ETA: dessert = mango season

14 Likes

Nice! I can almost smell it!
Do you know what kind are in season and from where? I can’t seem to get a handle on that.

1 Like

These are the standard champagne / ataulfos that are everywhere at the moment - I don’t really eat any others, they’re usually too fibrous.

I was so hopeful, because I’ve waited a couple of days for the mangoes to smell and feel just right… but they still weren’t there flavor-wise. Two more to go from the current batch, will wait longer.

So I went on an internet search to figure out if Alphonsos are on their way yet… not quite, but soon :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes