What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I miss those! Didn’t love the dill, but TJ’s is less out of our way.

Ooh, wow!

A great reminder for crabs! I will ask my husband to start looking for them when he shops.

Dinner yesterday was pork chop with a sauce from a reduction from coffee beans, a small cup of espresso, chicken broth and some cane sugar. Recipe from the famous Marc Veyrat. Sided with a fabulous white asparagus cooked with duck fat, grated ewes cheese and top with raw ham, I forgot the balsamic vinegar, but it was still very good. Recipe here.

I don’t know what to think about the coffee sauce chop, it was alright but a bit weird, maybe I added too much sugar. Husband said it works for him. This type of recipe works but need a lot of fine tuning, or find the right coffee beans or right dose. Not sure I would make it again. I like the more asparagus side more. :hugs:

Monday dinner was conger eel cooked like Japanese grilled eel rice, with the similar saké soy sauce. Ate with green salad and rice.

Carrot coconut milk soup inspired by the two soups made by @Saregama and @Ttrockwood
I used the NYT recipe. No ginger at home, I found some dried galingale.

15 Likes

YUM. I love the look of that cauliflower! MMM!

1 Like

Have you tried Virginia Willis’ coffee-brined pork chops? They might be more your speed.

1 Like

Thanks Christina! Is it similar to the recipe below?

The coffee flavour of the sauce yesterday was too overwhelming.

1 Like

DAYAM…

2 Likes

Hmm, I see I saved recipes from Alton Brown and Diana Henry. I’d go with this one:

1 Like

Ah, with vinegar, ginger and mustard, this sounds more convincing, I might try again! Thanks.

1 Like

I think I would also substitute molasses with something that is not as sweet ie bit of maple syrup

1 Like

That is interesting. Molasses tastes less sweet to me than maple syrup. I tend to keep backstrap molasses on hand. I use sorghum syrup if I want a sweeter profile. I love maple syrup but sometimes the flavor is too distinctive for me to use it in many recipes.

For those not that familiar with molasses here’s a primer:

3 Likes

oh, I have only one kind of molasse that I feel is too sweet. Do not know what brand as it is the back of my shelf.
Once, I was advised to use grandma’s or backstop but never bought them
Instead, I generally use honey, maple syrup and for asian food esp vegetable or fish I would add a small amount of mirin.

You would probably like the backstrap variety more. It is more robust and not as sweet as the lighter colored molasses. They stay good forever and don’t crystallize like honey sometimes does.

2 Likes

thanks

+1 especially dark molasses has a more bitter edge

1 Like

I would mount the sauce with cubes of cold butter to make it less intense, tangy, and coffee-ish.

2 Likes

I made an overcooked stew/chili in the IP: chorizo, black beans (that I cooked first with shallots, bay leaves, a jalapeño, and salsa), homemade chicken broth, chunks of chicken breast, cubed sweet potato, fire-roasted tomatoes, half a can of coconut milk, chili powder and cumin, and some quinoa. Despite my best efforts everything was mush. :persevere:

9 Likes

dinner was stir dry pink shrimp in EVOO with lots of garlic, a tin of anchovy , chipotle and adobo sauce and some dehydrated oregano rosemary and thyme ( Costco stop carrying Italian seasoning), and the juice of one

lemon.

This was distributed on top of vine ripe tomatoes roasted in oven with evoo, with the seasoning above, til the tomatoes rendered their juice, about 40 min. There were 4 servings of this in individual lasagna dishes. My tomatoes were topped with feta cheese . None for my son as he does no eat Feta.

Forgot to take pictures of the other 2 dishes that were coming out of the oven. So, that will be 2 servings for each of us. This was served over red kokuho rice.
Rush to eat, picture does not do justice. It was yummy

13 Likes

I’ve been on an Indian food kick this week. The results aren’t pretty, but I was happy with the way everything came out. The chana masala is from Deb Perleman. I followed the recipe as written, but added an extra clove of garlic and used both the amchoor and lemon, along with some baby spinach that needed using up. The rice was basmati with toasted cumin seed, clove, cardamom and ghee. The paneer tikka masala is basically pieced together from several recipes, and the naan is from Serious Eats. We liked the naan pretty well, but will try another recipe soon while its fresh in our minds just to compare.

18 Likes