What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I ate manti the other day. Notice I say “ate”, not “made”. That’s because the dried manti was store-bought. They are tiny and tedious to make.

Like this: tiny square of dough, the corners are pinched together.

Yep, I’m familiar. Had them in Istanbul and Berlin.

1 Like

Mrs. P made quail salad with pan seared boneless quail breasts, roasted delicata squash, grapes, arugula, sauteed red onions, fresh shaved sharp cheddar cheese, in a reduced balsamic syrup :yum:

16 Likes

still have not ordered quail .
Marx food was out of the semiboned quail
Only had the quail Breast, $155 for 100 individually vacuumed packed portions
Could not decide, how many breast is needed per person per meal as 2 semi boneless quail from D’artagnan was hardly enough fo one person and they say their quail is bigger than other quail.
Also wanted to try the Frenched quail legs but has to buy $148 for 120 pieces.
Was not sure how they would taste, would they be crispy ? Have you tried them?
Am ordering Maple leaf farm’s duck, but they would not allow more than 6 lbs of ground duck per order,( this is combined ground duck and duck sausage) nor 6 pounds of combined duck breasts that are for stir fry and cooked duck legs . I still have lots of duck confit, duck breast from D’artagnans so just ordered 6 lbs of each of above. The last order of duck tenders were not really exciting, nor their duck wings as my son prefers the chicken wings I make with baking soda and broiled. We think those appetizers have too much flour or panko. So, the ground duck are good substitute for ground pork for spring rolls. pot stickers but disappointing bec I an only order 6 lbs .
This allergy to readmit has forced me to look for duck as alternative aside from sea food.
Your quail salad looks great and delicious. Do. you buy them on line?

3 Likes

Clever use of pelmeni - wish I’d thought of it when I was trying to use up a bag of chicken pelmeni from TJ’s!

2 Likes

Didn’t really love yesterday’s soup but had a good bit left, so I turned it into curried coconut-carrot-broccoli slaw soup - hahaha. Preferred it vastly to yesterday’s soup!

I’m also experimenting with low(er?) carb idli/dosa batter for dieting family members, so I tested some of it out. Idlis were quite lovely, surprisingly, for no rice at all.

The (unplanned) combination was pretty similar to idli-sambhar, so that worked out nicely.

10 Likes

Thanks ccj! I actually bought a case of boneless Spanish quail breasts from Marx Foods. You get 10 per package and 12 packages. They are very small, and easy to store. We split a package for the salad (5 each). The boneless breasts are the best since they are bite size and you don’t have to mess with the tiny bones. My wife just pan sears them. In the summer she adds kiwi, blueberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, or whatever fruit is in season. The shaved sharp cheddar cheese adds a nice salty contrast to the fruit.

image https://cdn.hungryonion.org/optimized/3X/1/4/1444bf251395e362b0792cce2c1052cc079cf85b_1_700x700.jpeg

10 Likes

So, you also ordered online from Marx foods?
for the salad, you used 5 quail breast for 2 people
I used 4 whole quail for my son and me and he feels it is not enough ( this came from Nick’s the Italian Deli), and when available which I rarely see from Giant, D’artagnans semiqonelss quail which are larger than the ones for NIck’s, my son still complain 2 is not enough for him. So, I wander how many breast I need to cook to satisfy him?
I called Urgasa Quail USA in Florida but they only sell to trade.
Thanks for info.

2 Likes

Yes, I ordered a case online from Marx foods. They shipped it overnight and it was packed in ice. We had 10 quail breasts for the two salads (5 each). Your son would probably need a whole package of 10 to be full :slightly_smiling_face: I first had the quail at Laurel and Sage in Montclair and asked the chef where he got them, and he told me Marx foods. The only thing is that you have to buy a whole case. I also bought a case of rabbit hind leg and quarters from them, since D’artagnan was out of them at the time, but I split the case with someone.

1 Like

Picked a full bowl of Dungeness crab leftover from my crab feast Sunday, sautéed some garlic in butter, added capers, lemon zest, meyer lemon juice and black pepper, tossed with pasta. Pine Ridge viogner sauvingong blanc blend and sourdough to go with.

19 Likes

A few lonely potatoes, steamed a smidge too long (oops!) skin left on cuz that’s the most potato-y flavor. There’s a little butter directly on the potatoes and then chickpeas i just mixed into a bit of vinegrette. And some red onion that I didn’t chop quite small enough.

Ate the rest of the little tomatoes with some goldfish for salt and crunch tomato combo

13 Likes

oh my, that is one gorgeous plate!

2 Likes

Where did you get the Dungeness. Were they live ? Fantastic.

Yeah, I always get them live since I only do the crab feast once or twice per year. Sun Fat on Mission St., my favorite place for seafood, $7.99 per lb., really lively two pounders.

2 Likes

Our little Italian deli that’s set to close down next month let us down a little tonight. their meat sauce tasted burnt, and their frozen gnocchi were fine, but not as good as some fresh, prepackaged ones I bought somewhere else a few weeks ago. Still going to miss that place…

Olives and green salad on the side, courtesy of the BF.

12 Likes

Thank you Maria!

1 Like

White chicken chili. Again.

to af

I think this might be the most recent addition to the mash up of receipes.

Serious Eats- The Best White Chili With Chicken Recipe

7 Likes

Going to Istanbul in September!

5 Likes

Boiled jiaozi with a chili oil sauce, and some broccolini.

16 Likes

So jealous. I miss that . :blush: