What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Hang in there! I remember cooking once and eating beans for a week when I parented alone.:joy:

3 Likes

Neither one of us seems motivated to rattle those pots and pans tonight, so we agreed to invite Marie Callender to cater dinner. It’ll be a serving each of the 15 oz boxes of Chicken Pot Pies.

No photos will be submitted.

7 Likes

No shame in that (says the person who ate hot brownies with an igloo bar and called it a complete balanced dinner)!

10 Likes

It’s really not that hard

2 Likes

Tonight I made bibimbap with this bulgogi recipe and Aldi’s carne picada: https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-korean-beef/

A repeat! Veg were sesame carrots and zucchini with sweet soy and ginger mushrooms with ponzu, leftover walnut pickled cukes, and bought kimchi. Rice a mix of jasmine and cauliflower.

15 Likes

Looks delicious! Love bibimbap, but often fall short on the variety of vegetables that make it so delicious.

3 Likes

It’s still soup (and soupy) weather over here… Loose interpretation of Tom Kha Gai with the leftover chicken and stock from Hainanese chicken. Added broccoli slaw to make it more substantial, but forgot the mushrooms.

10 Likes

OMG!!! YOU REALLY DID?
(please tell me was it good?)

It looks warm and comforting…
Tonight It is grilled porterhouse, red beans and some vegetable fried rice.

ed rice

10 Likes

This pic made me hungry immediately after I ate

1 Like

Much like your posts for me…really inspirational…no I can eat a meal and see some food and just want to taste it…! often like yours!

1 Like

Aussie pretty simple just time consuming

These are blanched mulberry leaves

13 Likes

I hope your own week of gallivanting is already planned…!!
Glad you have helpful in laws nearby. I vote you outsource dinner if that makes life easier while solo

5 Likes

Hmmm. I finished the carrot soup earlier today and lacked any inspiration for actual cooking…
went with snacky dinner that had jicama (not very good one but it’s rare i ever find any jicama at the store that’s half decent), cucumber, red pepper, olives and baby variety tomatoes. I made a peanut buttery sauce that i dipped stuff in- no pic cuz it was an unappetizing shade of brown…

And seaweed snacks, crunchy edamame, goldfishies, and kombucha. TBD on dessert situation, the dates and nut butter are on standby.

11 Likes

phew, need to catch up! dinners have been eaten out for almost a week. i went to visit friends in FL over the weekend and had some wonderful home-cooked meals there (fried chicken, mac salad, potato salad, beautiful FL 'maters, collard greens, rock crab claws, and a seafood low-country boil. oh, and coconut cake!) all so good. none of it cooked by me. lotsa cocktails, Veuve, vino and beer. i am hoping the numbers on the scale are only indicative of water weight. yeah - hah.

first night of “cooking” was a guisado de pollo i made last week and froze, with mostly carrots for the veg (besides onion/garlic). made with double chicken stock (chicken cooked in chicken stock made from chicken stock made from cooking chicken – aaagh - you get the idea.) Delish and homey. BF made good mexi-rice and a salad.

15 Likes

Oven fried chicken. Breaded with crushed fried pork skins HOT’N SPICY Chicharrone and flour . Zucchini, carrot salad , and a piece of white toast . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

16 Likes

Dinner is going to include a Nigel Slater sauce for lamb (from Kitchen Diaries 3). Dead easy - simply blitzing cherry tomatoes, mustard seeds, olive oil, giner and garlic. His recipe is for lamb steaks which he cooks under the grill , slices and tosses into the dressing. That’d be better than the chops we have, but we’ll just dunk the chops in to coat and then regard it as a sauce to drizzle over. A supermarket bag of rocket to accompany and flatbreads. Remains of a supermarket chocolate tart for afters.

10 Likes

@ChristinaM, I leave it at just a bit under medium heat (electric coil stove top), and use a splatter screen (although with duck, that often doesn’t help much. LOL).

1 Like

Prepping half-butterflied pork chops in a vinegar and olive oil salad dressing marinade to broil. BH has prepped a pound of Asparagus to steam. Light touch needed on both.

Again, no pics.

6 Likes

Manti (really pork pelmeni😯) with yogurt, melted butter, crushed dried mint, Urfa and Aleppo peppers, and Turkish hot pepper paste. Baharat-spiced roasted cauliflower on the side.

13 Likes