What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

A true labor of love!

It does. I start a scored duck breast in a cold skillet and let them come up to temp together. I sear it for about 10 minutes, maybe a bit more, then flip for 1 minute. It then goes into a 350°F. oven in a separate pan for 5-7 minutes until it registers about 140° on an instant read thermometer. Let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing it.

How high do you bring up the heat on the skillet?

The rocks are back on the beach since the last tropical storm. In many areas on the southern 1/3 it’s like the moon and that’s being nice. I haven’t been back except maybe once since the last big storm and I think there are more rocks now

1 Like

Mom visit sounds wonderful :))
Your sweet potatoes and pomegranate are so festive looking!

3 Likes

I am glad you like it with Tuna sashimi and chicken nuggets. Those are two items we do not use them for. Son returned home last night after a month away. I had cooked a big pot of Chile ( cannot eat beef bec of allergy) , so he had that for late snack , lunch and early dinner. Now, we are having asparagus roasted asparagus for 8 minutes with parmesan cheese and Chicken nuggets ( still jet lagged no cooking just sleep and food ). I bought these from Costco last month but there was a recall, so, am having them again tonight (Tyson’s panko chicken nuggets.) with replacements. I guess he will have them with usual hot Frank’s hot wing sauce.
In reply a few days ago to nap re different kind of soy sauce, I told her that when it comes to sashimi, I prefer lighter soy sauce with wasabi
but for a change sometimes, I like to use Kikkoman’s Ponzu citrus seasoning and sauce with a small amount of yuzu kosho ( both red and green) if you like to be adventurous. .The Yuzu Kosho are very salty so be very careful esp when adding that to soy sauce.
https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/yuzu-kosho-recipe

4 Likes

I had everything on hand to make a carrot coconut milk soup, actually the same one @Saregama made a few days ago only mine wasn’t as pretty! Onions sautéed in coconut oil, carrots, lemongrass, ginger, coconut milk etc. I ended up adding a can of drained white beans when blending so it would be more of a meal soup

Kombucha a la carte.
Probably going to dates and nut butter with tea for dessert, taking an intermission from the chocolate for the moment

12 Likes

Chicken kabobs looks delicious.

Did you make those dolmas, if yes recipe please!

That’s great, must brighten her day.

3 Likes

Personally, I prefer to buy yuzu juice or vinegar on it’s on, and you add with your other seasonings for different combinations.

1 Like

We also had other sauces with the fish and the chicken, but I thought this sounded good, so I made it, too. We all liked it.

Do you make them yourself, where do you usually get your inspirations?

Great, I have some coconut milk that I don’t know what to do with it. Will make some for lunch.

My Sunday was feeling so weird, the after effect of swollen gum from the spicy Korean seafood and tofu stew confirmed I can’t eat too spicy. I had the same problem once when travelling in Malaysia. Anyway packed the remaining stew and off to the freezer… Maybe husband could finish it.

Yesterday was mulet with roasted broccoli. The fish was cooked with fish stock, butter and lemon sealed in aluminum for 10 minutes then a few more minutes with white wine and grilled for 4 last minutes. A brown butter sauce was made on stove. Recipe here.

Good, except the fish was small.

Also want to improve some knife skills, so decide to make some “sashimi” from black sea bream, fish was small, so I kept the skin. MISTAKE! The skin was too fatty and thick… nearly inedible.

There are some reasons why great sushi and sashimi is so expensive. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

15 Likes

Yes, I’ve been making my own kombucha for a few years now! Honestly has made my tummy LOVE me, and I think the probiotics are part of why I just don’t get sick. My favorite flavor is lemon/ginger which is kind of boring but I perfected that flavor combo and get great bubbles with it (some flavors it is hard to get the second ferment carbonation)
The NOMA book had a lemon maple combo that sounded interesting so I played with that a little to flavor the bottles for the second ferment (didn’t want to waste so much maple $yrup on using it for first ferment which needs a lot of sugars to feed the scoby)

2 Likes

Thanks for your explanation. I’m reading the Noma book now, it’s quite fascinating how all those microbes are working.

Sorry, a bit more questions. How do you keep a scoby in standby, for example if you need to go away. Is it possible to keep that alive for a month?

Since you make the drink regularly, how many copies of scoby do you keep for different flavors?

1 Like

I have had some trouble when i travel and the scoby is left alone a while - mostly in winter it gets too cold and can “die” which happened to me at the holidays this year. If you leave the scoby in a small amount of the kombucha tea at warm-ish room temp it’s fine a month alone.

My method differs from noma method- i make a big batch of “basic” kombucha first, just the tea/sugar/scoby mix to ferment. Then i introduce flavor when bottling for second ferment, so i could make 12 different flavor bottles if i wanted. I haven’t tried to introduce flavor at the first ferment, just not how i learned to make it- and i think also that scoby is limited in the future since it will absorb that flavor? I am tempted to make the apple kombucha recipe, may try that with some of excess scoby i have since now mine is healthy and reproducing a lot

1 Like

naf - nope. Bought them. I have never attempted dolmas and probably never will. They seem like something I should leave in the hands of the pros.

3 Likes

Thx again. I’m curious about the apple and the coffee one in the Noma book.

1 Like

Tried a new low-carb pizza crust recipe last night with limited success. Partially my fault, because I used it to make a deep dish pizza and I think it really needed to be par-baked (which I didn’t do). I’ll try it again with some tweaking, but at least the filling was delicious!

2 Likes

Solo parenting this week while my husband is gallivanting through the west snowboarding. I take my hat off to true single parents. This is not for wimps! Thank goodness for my in-laws and being able to watch the little one because our daycare closed (AGAIN) for 2 inches of snow. EYE ROLL.

That being said, we have been eating a variety of random meals that can be thrown together quickly. I have a gap between meetings this afternoon and will try to prep up some sort of udon noodle stir fry.

3 Likes