What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Did the skin come out crunchy?
I buy D’artagnan’s duck breast and use their recipe but often, mine does not come out crunchy enough.( I like ti to be crunchy like pork belly) Any tricks? I follow advise of D’artagnans, that would be
Heat a large dry skillet over medium‑low heat. Add the breasts skin side down and sear until crisp, allowing the fat to render slowly, 10 to 15 minutes. Don’t rush this—the last thing you want is a mouthful of chewy fat. Flip and sear the other side for 3 to 4 minutes.

THANKS

1 Like

I usually follow the advice I read somewhere to start the breasts in a cold frying pan and heat it up from there. So long as you leave it untouched until you’re fairly sure it’s crisped up, then it should be OK. Then flip it. You get crispy skin but I’ve never eaten duck that has a crunchy skin like pork crackling - it’s like the crispy skin you get on chicken.

Alternatively - https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/how-to/how-to-cook-duck-breast

1 Like

well, I eat it anyway even if it is not as crispy as I like it to. be but my son will not touch it so, they go to t he Pomeranian who understand 'DUCK" and they drool while I am cooking it. I had read a lot of advices but never as crispy as I like it.
I do know that SERIOUS EATS recommends the same thing, from a cold pan on low to medium h eat, Maintain the gentle bubble of fat, pouring out excess rendered fat throughout the cooking process, until much of the fat has rendered, skin is golden brown, and duck’s internal temperature is 125°F (52°C), about 15 minutes. then
Increase heat to medium and further brown skin if needed, about 1 minute, before flipping and cooking on the flesh side. For medium-rare meat, cook until breast registers 130°F (54°C) on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking until duck registers 140°F (60°C) for medium or 155°F (68°F) for well-done. Remove duck from pan and set aside to rest.
Next time I will cook duck breast, probably will start from a cold pan to low and then turn to medium when it reach 125 degrees util it is brown. I do not usually8 turn duck over until skin is seared to my satisfaction.
I hope it will be better. I never salt pepper my duck. Usually, prefer to dip it in soy/cider vinegar/pepper/tabasco/ garlic

I’m going to try that!

we use that dip for everything, including spring rolls, chinese dumplings, ( Sio mai and or pot stickers), Costco’s maple half duck ( we generally throw away the orange sauce that comes with it unless we have guest who may prefer the orange sauce, then I would add cointreau to enhance it.) *You can vary the amount of soy sauce, ( depending which type you use as some of them are saltier than others)

1 Like

Looks hearty!

1 Like

Haha, so true. Thought that was your plate until I saw your response.

3 split chicken half’s just hit the smoker. Son, girlfriend and BIL over for dinner tonight

3 Likes

Just to clarify, Son’s girlfriend not mine :wink:

4 Likes

One of my favorite places! I used to launch my Hobie Cat from the causeway and head out. Would always picnic on Caladesi. Nice to remember on a grey rainy day.

1 Like

When I wrote that I was going to try that sauce, I meant that I would try it with duck breast. But tonight we had tuna sashimi and chicken nuggets, so we tried it with both of them. My wife and I and our guest all liked it very much.

1 Like

Well, with retirement you’d have more time for juggling two women! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Haha, one if I want to see tomorrow

5 Likes

A theme of weekend dinners. Friday night was gyros (TJ’s, not homemade) with lettuce, herbed feta, and tatziki. Side was sauteed onion and squash.

Saturday was ground chicken kabobs with all the sides (pita, dolmas, pickles, cucumber salad, feta, and tatziki).

14 Likes

Georgian chicken braised with pomegranate, seared mushrooms, and a salad with walnut dressing. Good but probably not a repeat.

10 Likes

You would never guess from the photo. The sauce is gorgeous!

I could see beef being better!

I was looking for a good price on corned beef but it seems too early for my markets. Did find a great price on brisket (again) and couldn’t pass it by. This time I’m pulling from two recipes I’ve liked. I’m cooking it lower/longer than last time. Should be good leftovers for hot open faced sandwiches with the upcoming cold blast of winter.

4 Likes

Kofte, gigantes bean salad, marinated tomatoes and onions, naan, and adjika.

17 Likes

Good visit with Mom today - she had a full house with me, my sister, my stepbrother, his wife, and their dog. She was laughing up a storm at our antics. Loved to hear her laughter. :heart:

Dinner was pomegranate-mustard pork tenderloin, mashed maple-ginger sweet potatoes & steamed green beans. Wine alongside.

Waiting to see what the overnight brings with the incoming storm. Expecting anywhere from 7-12" overnight. Might be a Work From Home day tomorrow.

18 Likes