What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

OMG, THAT FEESH!! love it.

2 Likes

Off food topic but I read this article from Bloomberg a little while back.

I’m sure many of us will recognize the look and layout.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

2 Likes

not here, thank god, but ours aren’t much better.

https://jacksonfuller.com/sf/the-mission/vida-45-bartlett-st/

this one is around the corner from my apt. i mean, it’s not horrific, but they’re all glass and metal boxes of varying shapes.

:nauseated_face:

Burgers, asparagus, green salad with lemon dressing. Various snacky things to start. A few friends over to celebrate Friday.

16 Likes

From my dollar fifty menu . Wine to drink . Cheers.

15 Likes

Didn’t take a pic of dinner, leftovers pictured. Clockwise from top left: parathas, beet and potato curry, kheema aloo, rice, moong dal. Followed mom’s recipe for dal for a change, Better than my usual hit or miss. Beets are a dad concoction for various vegetarian family members (base recipe uses lamb not potatoes). Some meals feel like a warm hug.

18 Likes

A feast!

1 Like

I can see spring in everybody’s meal!

This week, not much mood to cook due to a new neighbourhood problem arising.

Planned to make Vietnamese spring rolls, last minute adjustment, not rolls but everything in a bowl. That was still good.

Remaining coconut milk in the fridge… curry prawns with lemongrass cooked in coconut milk.

Cucumber marinated with rice vinegar, chili sauce, sesame oil, sugar, miso, chicken powder and soy sauce.

Yesterday was steak with the same cucumber recipe.

Finished with our favourite extra tart lime cake as dessert. (actually with mint, butI didn’t use enough to feel a difference!)

17 Likes

We had some beautifully fresh haddock the other night, which was delicious with a simple panko crust and quick pan-fry. It was paired with a rather odd-sounding combo of roasted butternut squash and some frozen pao de queijo, but somehow it all worked.

Last night, the ravioli bug struck again. I’m really loving the newish ravioli mold. It is so much quicker than crimping them all by hand like I used to do. The filling is a simple mixture of ricotta, a touch of garlic, parm and a couple of eggs. I did purchase the pasta sheets from our local pasta market to save time.

18 Likes

Beautiful photos!

1 Like

Channeling a mojito?

5 Likes

Ha! Now I think of that, maybe we can try to add some rum! Thanks for inspiration. :yum:

3 Likes

It hit 68° today in parts of eastern MA. That means tanks, booty shorts and flippity flops on the young chickity-chicks doing their shopping with Mom at Home Goods, and tanks and running shorts on those who run. I kept appropriately covered.

Dinner was a Penzeys Tsardusted pork chop, pan-seared, then a sauce made of minced garlic, dried thyme, white wine, all reduced, with a blup of heavy cream added at the end and a bit more reduction.

Sides were steamed sweet potato chunks, then mashed with butter, ground ginger, salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg, and steamed green beans. And wine.

Something on the screen for the evening’s viewing.

20190330_200048

12 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Sayola Restaurant in Montclair, NJ, an upscale Spanish restaurant. This was our first time dining here but definitely not our last. The restaurant is gorgeous and the service was exmplary. We have to find a way to work this into our regular dining rotation. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

2 Likes

Random snacky plate for dinner last night, should have had red bell pepper here too but it wasn’t good enough to have raw (will end up in a green juice soon)
Smoked tofu, cucumber, tortilla chips and hummus. Yeah, a lot more chips than pictured were consumed. Also, I’m still very burnt out on hummus, wasn’t into this at all.

And more than a few cornichons

Today was finally spring! And sunshine!! Lots of biking today, and a stop for a late afternoon smoothie for the first time in forever (I can’t handle cold things when it’s also cold outside)
Randomly found a new (affordable) mayo brand and decided i wanted potato salad. Bought the center original one (surprised it’s quite good) and just did a mini batch of potato salad with a splash of the cornichon brine, deli mustard, chopped cornichon, salt, and the mayo with a few red potatoes.
Tasted like summer!!

Not pictured side of more cornichons, cucumber and smoked tofu

8 Likes

Obviously, Spring has not sprung here in the upper Midwest! An inch of freezing snow on the ground prompted me to make another soup to end a dismal month. So, here’s our Cabbage Soup, with rice cakes, button mushrooms, and stubby carrots for dinner tonight. BTW…the Detroit Tigers open their MLB season at home Thursday. Football weather!

Here’s pics of the soup:

12 Likes

Taxes for 2018 done but not yet submitted because I’m hoping that I’ve screwed up somehow with TurboTax. But I’m sure I’ve hit all I can for my taxes. Let’s just say I’m not a fan of “tax reform” when I lose almost half of the expected refund because of no personal exemption. I am NOT pleased.

Dinner was a final winter comfort food: Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, boiled potatoes and carrots.

And Wine.

13 Likes

Actually, we’re all losers. Congress has abandoned doing right by this citizenry.

9 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Boulevard 572 in Kenilworth, NJ. Below is the link to the details and pictures.

1 Like