What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I would bet it was the kiwi. I read somewhere about the milk proteins interacting with kiwis and get funky. Here is a link quote from this site - https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Kiwifruit

The enzyme will start to dissolve the milk proteins within a few minutes, leaving a very unpleasant bitter taste.

3 Likes

I should have kept reading before replying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, pre-WWI, a province in Canada started it - but mostly became used by many countries in 1916, in the middle of WWI.

2 Likes

Hell of an analogy. :laughing:

7 Likes

I can see this working better in a country with a very set national cuisine than in the United States, where we pretty much eat a mishmash of lots of different cultures, including quite a bit of spicy food. If your staples are things like tortilla, fish, soft white bread, olives, rice dishes, chicken, etc. - those are pretty friendly foods for the under-5 set.

3 Likes

Pasta with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, red pepper, chilli pepper, garlic, lemon, ricotta, sunflower seeds.

4 Likes

We didn’t grow up with “kids food” (other than ketchup), so we did the same for our kid. It was excruciating at first – for months, meals would take 3 hours of our day – and I truthfully can’t say we’d do it again if we have another kid. But, after she was three years old, it was an immense relief to pretty much never have to worry about meals, whether at home or away. There were a few things remaining either due to taste or texture – raw ginger, heavy spice, cilantro, sauteed sliced onions, hot peppers – but I am happy to say as of today (she turned 8 a couple months back), those are conquered. She ate biryani today for the first time with no issues from spice or heat. Honestly, I don’t know another person in real life who will eat the range of foods my kid will. So if you are willing to make great sacrifice, you can get there (I know my sample size is just 1, so feel free to roll your eyes like my friends do.) Fish eyes, fish bones, offal, broccoli, sea squirt, she will eat it all. Last year she stopped eating mass market sweets, no matter how good the colors or decorations look. Even sugary, jarred marinara and chain pizza have lost their appeal. Every day I feel like I am failing as a parent, but we did okay when it comes to her food sensibilities.

11 Likes

That’s cool! We try to stick to the philosophy of offering everything. I’m a little bit careful with very spicy foods, because they can end up in the eyes and often get a very strong negative reaction. (I remember how spicy foods tasted to me when I was little and very sensitive). But everything else is fair game.

1 Like

Tonight we planned Breakfast For Dinner: Scrambled Eggs, Thick Cut Bacon and Rustic Rye Toast.

But then, we encountered a disaster. I had the bacon happily frying in the oven, and button mushrooms and Vidalia Onions carmelizing on the stovetop…

Time to break some eggs. UGH! Broke seven from a new carton and was looking at blood. Lots of blood! What the…? This hasn’t happened to us in decades. I flushed that mess down the ______, and tried the remainder of the carton. More blood! What do we do now? Mushrooms & onions are ready. Bacon is a minute or two away…

My BH suggests we still have some Ground Beef Stroganoff in the 'fridge. She made it Monday night. It was very tasty. But, three nights in a row? It’s either heat that up quickly, or have bacon & rye toast for dinner. By The Grace Of God it came together…

So funny, I didn’t post the Stroganoff dinner here Monday night because it was “so beige”. So here it is as a leftover dinner saver.

16 Likes

as long s it tase good. It looks good to me

1 Like

Nice Save!..Have never encountered maybe one or two…but several bloody eggs , never!

3 Likes

I was looking through my freezer the other day and came across an unexpected treat; some leftover fennel porchetta from Sam’s Butcher Shop that was vacuum sealed. That package must have been close to a year old. It may not look pretty but it was delicious :yum: The fatty part just melted in your mouth like butter. Mrs. P made some spicy Asian style Brussels sprouts on the side.

13 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is 2 huge pieces of tuna loin
grilled on the stove , then smeared with butter .
dipping sauce is mixture of red and green ponzu kosho , dash of kikoman ponzu lemon dipping sauce, sesame oil, juice and zest of a lemon. Maybe it would looked better grilled longer for better grill mark

but I wanted the center of the tuna to be rare. pC3e6RajR4i55SmJrhqwHA|525x700 ,
served with left over bok choy from lunch ( EVOO, garlic, hot pepper, cider vinegar and splash of sesame oil at end) with store bought chicken breast and broccoli that was roasted in oven .
Had a bottle of merlot and some cheribundi cherry juice ( son drinks that all the time added to his sparkling water)
Poms loved it too sans the dipping sauce!

13 Likes

Dinner was pappardelle with a mushroom sauce of fresh baby bella and reconstituted shiitakes, to which I added chopped red bell pepper, frozen peas, minced garlic, dried thyme with some Herbs de Provence, salt, pepper.

The sauce was made from some mushroom broth from reconstituting the shiitakes, white wine, and heavy cream.

Topped with some chopped prosciutto, grated Parm-Reg, and minced parsley.

Wine.

19 Likes

A simple but creative version of a “Spaghetti and Mushroom sauce” I learned in Florence Italy several years ago, san the peas…none the less looks delish!

6 Likes

I used Bruce Aidells Holiday Beef Brisket with Onions as my starting point, added components from other recipes and tweaked.

Preheat oven to 325 F.

I used a 3 lb. brisket. Eyeballed the amount and rubbed the meat with kosher salt, black pepper, and Hungarian paprika.

Soak 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms in 1 c. hot water until softened. Remove shrooms and coarsely chop. Strain soaking liquid to remove grit, reserve.

In a roasting pan place :
3 horizontally halved and coarsely chopped leeks (tender white and light green parts)
4 good sized carrots coarsely chopped
4 ribs of celery coarsely chopped (reserve leaves if any)
1 bulb of garlic, cloves separated and peeled

Follow directions for browning the meat, I eyeballed the amount of oil.

Place browned meat over the vegetables in the roasting pan.

Deglaze pan with 1 C. dry vermouth or white wine. Add 1 C. rich chicken broth and strained mushroom soaking water. Stir in 1 large can crushed Italian tomatoes, the rehydrated mushrooms, 3 bay leaves, and dried thyme and marjoram, perhaps 2 tea. each (Omitted oregano from original recipe). Once well-heated pour over the meat and vegetables in the roasting pan. Cover pan and place in oven.

Cooked covered for 1 hour.
Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
Spoon leeks over the meat, cook uncovered 30 min. more.
Push leeks back under liquid.

Then add:
S/P to taste
Reserved celery leaves, chopped
small box of button or cremini mushrooms, roughly sliced.
Stir.
Cover the roasting pan and braise 2 hours.

Start checking for doneness. Once meat is done remove from the roaster and let it rest. Put the uncovered pan with sauce/veg back in oven uncovered. Let it cook down to the consistency you desire.

Notes: You want about half of the meat above the liquid. So depending upon pan size, meat size, etc. the amount of liquid needed may vary. It’s pretty flexible.

I chop the vegetable fairly large so they don’t turn to mush. If you like more tooth to them you may wish to add at the 2 hr. point. I like that the leeks and garlic cook away and just add great flavor.

The original recipe called for 350 F oven. I felt 325 allowed the meat to reach that succulent tender but holds a slice point.

I’ve served over mashed potatoes, polenta, noodles. The meat makes very nice sandwiches.

This last time I ran out of vermouth so used rice wine for the rest of the amount. Worked just fine!

Hope I noted the tweaks and timing correctly. I tend to jot down my ingredients in a rough code with + and - to let me know when to adjust from my usual desired quantities. My usual is whatever looks right proportionally!

This freezes well too.

11 Likes

Thank you! Copying down

1 Like

I made buttermilk-ranch roasted chicken with baby potatoes, onions, and butternut squash. The baby ate…a ton of chicken and two bites of the rest.

17 Likes

If you make it let me know what tweaks work for you! And what doesn’t work for you! I’m glad I was able to make several briskets over a few months. It let me finally get what I had been imagining flavorwise. Cooking something once a year taxes the memory and slows down the process of refining the process to your taste.

2 Likes

Wonderful photos!

1 Like