What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Obviously, Spring has not sprung here in the upper Midwest! An inch of freezing snow on the ground prompted me to make another soup to end a dismal month. So, here’s our Cabbage Soup, with rice cakes, button mushrooms, and stubby carrots for dinner tonight. BTW…the Detroit Tigers open their MLB season at home Thursday. Football weather!

Here’s pics of the soup:

12 Likes

Taxes for 2018 done but not yet submitted because I’m hoping that I’ve screwed up somehow with TurboTax. But I’m sure I’ve hit all I can for my taxes. Let’s just say I’m not a fan of “tax reform” when I lose almost half of the expected refund because of no personal exemption. I am NOT pleased.

Dinner was a final winter comfort food: Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, boiled potatoes and carrots.

And Wine.

13 Likes

Actually, we’re all losers. Congress has abandoned doing right by this citizenry.

9 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Boulevard 572 in Kenilworth, NJ. Below is the link to the details and pictures.

1 Like

Shrimp and snow pea stir-fry after an indulgence out

13 Likes

Chilly rainy day- unfortunately total opposite of yesterday.
I went with some freezer cabbage yellow curry, topped with a cilantro pile and some sliced radishes for some crunch. The rest of the bunch of radishes i just had on the side with a little spiced salt

13 Likes

Chops from our farmers’ market were marinated in greek yogurt, brown sugar, salt, garlic, and smoked paprika all night, then rubbed with a mix of bourbon sugar, habanero sugar, smoked bourbon paprika, granulated garlic, s&p. Turned out super tender and juicy. Unpeeled red skinned potatoes were boiled with bay leaves, then mashed with 1/2 & 1/2, cambozola, and melted butter. The bay leaf flavor was subtle but really delicious. BF made the salad.

and my morning activities: Goat yoga! (yes, it’s a thing, and ours was the first in CA. i worked it, not participated.)

13 Likes

:joy: that goat is literally giving you the side eye about the goat yoga situation!! :joy:

PS
Please tell me the goats are…pets? Part of a rescue program?? (Not destined for someone’s goat curry??!)

2 Likes

I volunteer at CityGrazing, a non-profit “land management” organization. the goats get hired out to munch grass and brush, get rid of invasive vegetation, etc. they’re green! :heart_eyes:

http://www.goatlove.dreamhosters.com/

we actually have goats that have been donated that were slated to become someone’s WFD!

5 Likes

Smart goat learning yoga ." I’m never going to be roasted. "

3 Likes

Here’s the April '19 thread:

1 Like

That’s just terrific!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

K that’s officially the BEST answer possible!! :heart_eyes:
I love that you support such a great organization :))

1 Like

“Goat yoga! (yes, it’s a thing, and ours was the first in CA. i worked it, not participated.)”

We were WONDERING about that mention from Captain Obvious! And if you were referring to the first picture or the last.

1 Like

Here are the shenanigans. Parking here so I might find it again. As in tonight…and tommorow. And maybe Friday.

The Food Lab’s Complete Guide to Sous Vide Smoked Brisket

My hubby tried this. It was much better than a previous attempt to just straight smoke a rubbed brisket, which we had gotten from Aldi and was pretty crappy quality (solution-injected?). That previous one had to come out both dry and extremely salty. Sous vide plus smoking worked out well.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve done it with brisket (wish I could find the navel!), but I’ve been doing it with short ribs. Can’t be sure how THAT happened, but probably because husband doesn’t want to eat “fatty meet”, and short ribs come in smaller portions.

3 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

Son is home and I’m trying these again,