What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Nashville Hot Chicken with roasted mini peppers and smashed potatoes.

I am so out of practice of late but the meal came together quickly. No photos because my hands were busy frying.

Best to all!
Rooster

11 Likes

Mom had a good day.
I had a good day at Wegmans.
And dinner turned out better than I expected during prep.
Bonus.

I picked up some turkey tenderloins at Wegmans today and threw together an orange juice, grated ginger, garlic, honey, dried thyme, dried parsley and salt and pepper marinade for one of them.

Tenderloin was roasted for about 45 minutes at 350°, spooning some of the marinade over top, along with a sploosh of white wine.

The marinade was reduced and I added a cornstarch slurry to help thicken it for a sauce.

Some leftover pappardelle was heated up and tossed with a bit of the sauce and butter, with the turkey tenderloin slices with a couple of spoons of sauce on top and green beans alongside with butter and some of my friend’s Salter’s Point Provisions Cape Ann Blend finishing salt on top.

Yep. There was wine to drink during prep and during dinner. :+1:

You can check out her products here: https://salterspointprovisions.com/

13 Likes

Glad that worked out for crispy skin! And hopefully next time you can get to the right pinkness inside, but I’ll bet it was still great!

You comment cracked me up :joy:
And you’ve definitely got potential! Are you in the US? I’ve never seen the linda mccartney products here.

I was hanging out with my favorite six (and a half!!) year old last night, pasta with butter is the default parents aren’t home meal since it’s a sure thing

He wasn’t interested in the mandarin orange but did accept an apple instead.
I had an apple with him and the other half of my lunch bagel after he was asleep (sorry kid no way was i going to share!!) A fantastic dark pumpernickel with regular tofutti cream cheese from Absolute Bagels

Picked up a few things in chinatown today, i was on my way to meet friends and not able to buy too much
Made a bean sprout banchan mashup of sorts with some of my new black vinegar, soy, sesame seeds, and scallions

Side of steamed greens that are like bok choy with more fluffy greens- no idea what the real name is! Added a little soy and sesame oil after the photo

And i had forgotten how much i crazy love the whacky canned fried wheat gluten with peanuts! I have to go back for more. It’s seriously heinous :joy:

The baking mushroom cookies were very tempting, absolutely no idea what that could be, they were in between the same cookie with more normal flavors like sweet potato and red bean. Anyone familiar with these? Are they actually savory not sweet?

14 Likes

We treated our friends, who recently celebrated their 40th anniversary, to a spectacular dinner at Laurel and Sage. The husband is an amazing chef, and always takes good care of us, so we were happy to be able to return the favor. We also have our 8th anniversary coming up on the 27th. Below is a link to the writeup with pictures.

5 Likes

I’m normally just outside Boston but B, spring onion, and I are in Iceland for our “annual” trip (this is our 4th time here since late 2017, so I guess it’s more like biannual). After many expensive and/or disappointing meals out during our first 2 trips, we usually head straight to the nearest Bonus (discount) supermarket, a bakery, and cook at home. I stock up on beans and Linda McCartney products which even B likes. This time, I made a big pot of veggie chili as soon as we settled in. Plan to make a veggie shepherds pie with the remaining crumbles. During the last trip, I made a decent potato, corn, veggie sausage (also McCartney) chowder.

ETA: And, of course, we always purchase a box of wine at Keflavík Airport as soon as we deplane ~4:15 am. :wink:

5 Likes

Note that maybe the US and euro duck aren’t the same size too. Even in here, there are different sizes, so keep a note of that.

Fixed the video. We can see the lovely dog now! :dog:

When inserting photos or videos, make sure they are on a new line with space above and below. If not, the the text can create problem.

Wow 4th time, you must really like Iceland! Have fun!

1 Like

We have a number of duck breasts available. I was using the biggest and thickest which I would normally cook sous vide.

2 Likes

My son came over to make his fabulous Portuguese-esque fish stew with plenty of chouriço, garlic, wine, herbs, peppers, piri piri sauce and beautiful fresh cod. It’s one of my favorite dishes. Many of the ingredients came from Courthouse Fish Market, a wonderful old-school place with lots of Portuguese and Azorean products in Cambridge MA. It’s a treat just to shop in the market, never mind cooking with such quality products.

15 Likes

Look delicious!

2 Likes

Wagyu Beef. It’s what’s for dinner.

No English descriptions. No picture menus. No realistic plastic food replicas in the window.

Only menu slats listing available cuts. Some with the magic characters “A4” and “A5”, irresistible. A cow diagram to help with your dining decision.

The restaurant crew were totally accommodating. We had great food, ok drinks, and a forever memorable experience.

We pretty much just pointed down the wall and ordered anything that showed A4 or A 5.

For sides, we surreptitiously pointed at the goodies in front of our fellow bar mates.

We did order some Pork Hormone, Pig Offal. Also very good.

Dessert back in our room. For the Cherry Blossom season, Sakura Sake flavored Kit Kats.

18 Likes

Oustanding. What a food adventure you are on!

2 Likes

beautiful, as always! I’ve always wanted a cataplana, but don’t have room to store it.

I love how you love your child friends! I have had many over the years, and then I adopted a 7 year old from foster care when I was 51. Your child friends seem to have more varied diets than does my now 19 year old son!

2 Likes

If you ever go to Ishigaki…

Ishigaki has its own beef production and is proud of it. Saw the posters on the window of this restaurant and wanted to eat there for lunch but it was full. Came back later for dinner.

These black pigs are an indigenous species around here, according to the translation app.

I also had a nice time in Osaka. Stayed at a place right in the middle of Korea town and smelled all the wonderful kimchis and fermented things. Btw, Ishigaki is an easy flight from HK or TW.

11 Likes

I got hooked on cataplana and had invested in 4 of them. The first one was purchased from Ebay ,but it is rounded bottom ,not great for electric stove. So, it is reserved for my son to use with his butane stove when he is at the beach. It is made by metallutil.
Second one was purchased directly from Portugal but it was one from their ready made, thin copper. The hand made ones are slightly more expensive but the copper are thicker. The catch is that the are heavier and so, cannot be shipped thru regular mail ( PORTUGUESE POSTAL SYSTEM LAW) except thru expedited special delivery, which is a lot more expensive.
I sold the one I purchased initially at a lost thru Ebay ( only used once) , and ordered two of their heritage hand made ones. I have only used the large one twice. No regret as when we have company, the smaller one is not large enough to feed all those hungry guests of my son.

I love my cataplana as it is so simple and fast .
Typically, I often make my soffrito ahead of time, divide it into glass containers, so when I need to cook something fast, I just pop those soffrito into the cataplana, add chicken broth or white wine, and seafood. You can also cook other stuff but I reserve the cataplana for cooking seafood. If the soffrito are from the freezer, it takes about 10 min total prep time. Picture this time is my small one.
If interested, the company that I ordered from is Luisan copper.
Aside from what is at their website, they have huge huge ones, made for restaurants.
https://www.lusiancoppers.com/en/products.php?category_id=9
I went to WS to look at theirs, it is very flimsy.
The new ones at the internet are also flimsy.
The only good ones that are traditional used to be sold thru WS are made by metallutil. They went out of business.
In fact, I just found one at Ebay, used with 3 dents but is a metallutil makes a good one.
EBAY 273774254831 if interested
I have the flat bottom heritage ones for ( 23 cm ) and the large 35 cm one . Has not been disappointed.

Oh I just checked again
That metalutil one currently on EBAY has ever been used but has 3 small dents . It is a steal at $60.00. They used to sell it for over $120 at WS. Go for it if you have place to store it.
I love mine. I had to give away other kitchen cookware when I started collecting copper wares.
Just do not use an sharp object or metal as the tin can get damaged with it.
I wash it with soap, warm water and sponge and if. you dry it well, I always use my left over lemon which I use when I serve cataplana to go over the copper.