What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Ummm… how far is philly from where you are in jersey!!! And please advise delivery options! :joy: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Now you’re talkin’

Wow!! Delicious and a happy hubby?? Very impressive start to the week.

He actually mopped after dinner!?!

5 Likes

Late dinner after the longest day maybe ever… (left nyc apt at 5am, got to work at 8am in philly, then worked 13hrs)
Fellow coworker told me about different veg friendly delivery option (they ordered pizza yet again)
Got a decent pile of leaves salad with a bizzare crapton of basalmic whatever dressing, and side soup of tomato bean something with lentils and chickpeas involved. Delicious! Nice surprise. And certainly better than my box of TJs lentil soup plan B.

And yes, if you have delivery with actual silverware it’s less pathetic.

13 Likes

The bread!

I’m having surgery tomorrow afternoon and all I wanted tonight was protein with some fat. So I sent a Hubby to our favorite local Mediterranean restaurant for some hummus (it’s supper smooth) and I browned some ground lamb with onions, garlic, and a dash of sumac with a good pour of olive oil. All of it on the plate didn’t look very appetizing but it tasted really good. Especially since I know that I won’t feel like eating for the next 2 days.

9 Likes

Wishing you a successful surgery

That dish reminds me of something I grew up eating and still make. Except it was baharat spiced ground beef and hummus

3 Likes

I must confess I get it cleaned and steamed at my fish monger within a market in NYC (Food Bazar). It is rather pricy at $20 per pound, but usually buy about 1/2 a pound for three very generous portions for the salads. The make it fresh every two days, and I use it the same day I purchase it.
My sister-in-law and I once purchased a fresh octopus, cleaned and cooked it. The problem was we had too much to use in one sitting, even splitting it with the SIL. Since we are only two, I do find this much more economical, and convenient.
Preparation is easy; into a super hot grill pan with some evoo for a couple of minutes on each side, slice into some 1/4 thick slices, and mount on the plate.
I find the salads in the restaurants here in NYC are about $14 to $20 per appetizer portion. With buying it at the price as noted above, it is still an economical dish.

My picture above is about one serving, although about 1/4 of the white beans were used in the salad.
the

2 Likes

Hope you will be well soon!

Just for a laugh! Once I need to have a small surgery with general anesthesia that was programmed at 1pm, the doctors said I could have breakfast before 7am. Worrying that I had no lunch and be hungry the whole day, I had a big breakfast with chicken liver, rice, eggs and fruits etc. The nurse at the hospital was laughing when she heard what I had and said she need to consult a doctor if I could be operated. At the end, they reprogrammed my operation to 3:30pm.

3 Likes

Good idea! I find the small ones easily but the large octopus is sold frozen and I can’t tell if its what I want in a ice block like that.

I wish you a speedy recovery and see you back here with a big appetite!

1 Like

Good morning!..what’s on tap for today?

Still brainstorming over coffee. Freezer dive of some sort or my bride will start tapping the table to remind me we arent runny a small country store. The inventory has climbed😉.

How about you?

4 Likes

LOL, not related to the storm or the catch. But I should send the same protest to hubby as well. He thinks we need to own a grocery store, a pharmacy, a gardening shop and an old magazines store.

6 Likes

Reservations…
We have a late appointment with the GI Doc, in anticipation of a colonoscopy. We are both having it done on the same day, hopefully like the markets they have a “BOGO”…(buy one get one free) LOL!!

We have a favorite Italian, not too far after the check up.

2 Likes

What a day out!

Wow! Looks amazing and what a compliment! Sounds like you must be feeling better?

1 Like

Quick dinner last night, duck breast with green salad, pomegranate and tomatoes, green tomatoes that were brought indoor in mid November due to the freezing temperature. A few became a bit meaty, but on the whole still very good. Finished the meal with some cheese.

11 Likes

Please identify the cheese and flavor. Thanks naf.