What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Not a great pic but broiled salmon, sauteed broccoli, mushrooms in red wine and sweet potato ‘fries’. Easy dinner that comes together fast. I think I am going to brine some chicken breasts shortly for dinner later.

9 Likes

Actually the name is on the cheese, they are bought as the Christmas pre-packed platter. (Not sure I know how to describe flavours…but I will try) They are all French. From left to right:
• Brie de Meaux - creamy and rich
• Bleu d’Auvergne - like most blue cheese, it is salty and pungent, rustic but not as strong as roquefort.
• Abondance - fruity and buttery
• Saint-Marcellin - very runny cheese, nutty and slightly salty favour

If you like cheese, buy a small piece of each and taste them.

5 Likes

Looks great the meal, and the plate too!

3 Likes

Thanks naf.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Do you like cheese?

I do. My cheese education has been reliant on cheese shop owners, staff though. I taste samples and buy what I like without much extensive knowledge on its source or history. Library topic for 2019.

Same here, the cheese expert in HO is @Presunto

2 Likes

Oh I have noted that many times! Beautiful photos too.

LOL! I found a Christmas red top last night, which will be paired with black pants and a very lightweight soft black sweater. Probable gold chain necklace, gold bangle bracelets, and whatever appropriate earrings I find in my jewelry box. Black shoes will be low heels.

Crisis averted. LOL

Oh - and because last night I didn’t get home until about 8 pm, dinner was a bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch cereal. :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes, I often imagine Presunto sitting in a large walk-in cooler, surrounded by hundreds of cheeses. I.e., heaven.

7 Likes

Holy HELL those look amazing!

3 Likes

Good luck to you, Rhc! That dinner sounds like it would be great scooped up on some pita bread.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the biscuit compliments. We’ve been practicing. With two people, we can keep swapping so we don’t get tired grating the frozen butter and, in general, we can work faster to keep everything cold. These were the best so far.

3 Likes

Black always work, except with my mom, she complains that I have too many clothes in black. But since I need to travel to see her, it’s a no fuss way with limited clothes.

3 Likes

I found my biscuits greatly improved once I used a box grater on frozen butter and moved fast. Handle it as lightly and quickly as I can. These look awesome. Now maybe I’ll have to make biscuits for dinner too. DARN! Ha!

2 Likes

Haha :joy:

2 Likes

Yep, finally on the road to right!

2 Likes

Looks fab

1 Like

Very simple eats tonight - two cans of drained chickpeas in the slow cooker with a jar of good marinara, a bay leaf, rosemary, crushed fennel, and chili flake. Added spinach a little before serving and dotted with mozarella. Served up with crusty, cheesy garlic bread, blistered garlic zukes, and cucumber salad.

Pumpkin and bourbon-brown sugar ice cream for dessert. And I rectified that wine problem.

14 Likes