What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Yes, that’s the idea. Going to experiment a few ways -there’s plenty of stalk :joy:

These guys might have originated the idea (also the pasta soaking idea I use now… I should probably start reading them…)

2 Likes

In manhattan chinatown Aqua Best is a very reputable seafood vendor- they have a store front but most of their business is wholesale to restaurants. (Friend long ago who was a cook at momofuku ssam ordered from their wholesale)

I ran out of freezer bagels!! Ack!
Went to Absolute Bagels, which is my most favorite bagel in the city, yet not so easy to get to and generally involves a serious line. Got there at an awkward time in the late afternoon, had half my (still warm!!) everything with scallion tofutti cream cheese as early dinner

Brought home a few everything and pumpernickel for the freezer too

Fantastic cocktails in a dark bar in long island city after my friend’s art opening.
Something with elderflower, muddled cucumber and gin that was lovely

Followed by something with rum, lime, apricot liqueur, and magic

We had great seats at the end of the bar, all of the bottles had a number in front of them

Food options at the fancy cocktail bar included beer cheese, beef jerky and big meaty sandwiches so i just had the rest of my bagel from earlier once i got back home, sugar snap peas and kombucha a la carte.

13 Likes

Chicken rice chilli sauce is fresh red chillies, garlic, ginger, a splash of water or broth, a touch of lime juice, salt and some sugar. I play it by ear - if the chillies are super hot, I add more sugar, etc. if chillies arent spicy, I add a couple extra, etc.

8 Likes

Search and you will find . Just like up here . I have a thirty mile radius of foods I have nailed down . I have farther to travel than where I used to live . But after 1 year here. No traffic it’s a breeze .

1 Like

Love their blog

1 Like

We also had bok choy last night courtesy of my mom’s garden in NJ.

Here is a picture of it I took over the summer:

13 Likes

That’s wonderful! Mom offer pick your own? :wink:

3 Likes

Ha! My mom is still growing a garden like she has 3 hungry teenagers living at home! Every year she threatens to cut back but never does. If you can find her, she will totally load you up with veggies in the summer!

6 Likes

Remind me next year!!:blush:

1 Like

I have to head to Absolute next week for travel bagels aka don’t-come-visit-without-them-aunty goodies :joy:

Do you know if they have good bialys?

Haha!! Yes i have also trained my family to expect bagels! I don’t recall seeing bialys the other day… which doesn’t mean they don’t have them. If you go and they do not have any the ones at Zabar’s are actually very good, in their bread/bakery section, and easy to get to from the 1 train which is right by absolute.

Gotta love a good bialy

1 Like

We used to head to Zabars just for the bag of bialys on our way to grab the train home. I split them and toast two pcs, my wife likes them warmed whole.

You?

1 Like

I like Citarella’s bialys better than Zabar’s actually… bagels too (whaaaaat?!)

Coming up - gammon steaks, simply cooked under the grill.

Alongside, corn on the cob and my almost world famous pineapple salsa.

8 Likes

:exploding_head:
Obviously i will have to investigate this alarming information!!

1 Like

BBQ (smoked) chicken, grilled zukes, ww gnocchi with marinara. It pained me, but I tossed the skin. Barbera in our glasses.

13 Likes

Look.
At.
Those.
Gorgeous.
New.
York.
Bagels.
All.
Piled.
Up.
:::::fainting dead away::::

5 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!

OK, that kind of makes up for tossing perfect crispy chicken skin. Kind of.

1 Like