What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Yay! I figured out the pic side-swipe upload!
{Use the box that looks like a pic/mountain before the upload arrow tool}

Side swipes all around! :grin:

So. I picked up on-the-stalk Brussels for the first time because they looked gorgeous - had to cut the stalk in half when I got home to fit in the fridge :joy: (swipe for the 2 halves)

> image

Made Brussels sprouts “thoran” which is a South Indian stir-fry with coconut.

Separated and marinated a package of TJ chicken for a few meals and (ironically) was too tired to actually cook any, so I pulled out some chicken and fennel from the freezer - I thought it was just ok when I made it (though the croutons were amazing), and it was quite flavorless upon reheating. Zhoug to the rescue. Also, gratuitous picture of chicken skin “chips” which were the treat for the aforementioned chicken work :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Shout , shout , for brussel sprouts . I lived 5 miles away where they had fields of them growing next to the ocean in the coastal fog . North of Santa Cruz . The best .

5 Likes

Whoahza! I’m impressed by both your technical prowess and the brussel sprouts! What a gorgeous crazy big stalk of them. Do you shred them in a food pro? I lack one and they’re not easy to cut on my mandolin (I probably need to order a replacement blade). Honestly had no idea they were used in indian dishes, sounds delicious.

4 Likes

Yes…! There’s fields of them near watsonville too, we would always stop at the roadside stand past moss landing to get big stalks of them which kept well in the chilly garage.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I’m cutting just a few at a time - did these by hand. The indian dish would typically use cabbage, Brussels stay bit firmer.

I probably won’t shred anymore… halved and roasted sounds pretty good!

I’ve heard the stalks can be roasted too, and the center scooped out … color me intrigued…

3 Likes

Never heard of roasting the stalks . Maybe peel them like a artichoke stem . I don’t see why not .

1 Like

Baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts for dinner last night, marinated in an olive oil & vinegar salad dressing, then coated with a dry fry mix. Baked potato on the side.

The site isn’t uploading photos this morning. I’ll come back later to see if I can add them then…

4 Likes

That pie :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you. Sounds cliche, but it’s just lots of practice like everyone says. Also, I realized I should not follow exact recipes, but rather use intuition like with regular cooking. I taste the apple mix as I go along. If the apples are sweet, I add less sugar. If they are tart, I won’t add lemon juice. If they have high water content, I will reduce the amount of butter in the filling.

8 Likes

Scarfed “Pacific” Oysters!

14 Likes

Thanks, this will be the way to go for the remaining kraut!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m going to have to get used to eating later than I prefer. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A fat b/s chickie-boobie was seasoned with s/p, lemon zest powder, and dried thyme, and sauteed in olive oil and butter. Wine and lemon juice poured in, covered and simmered until done. A smidge of heavy cream, then mounted with butter for a smooth sauce.

Israeli couscous and peas & corn alongside. There definitely was wine. A pour for the chicken, another pour for the cook. Maybe two pours for the cook.

14 Likes

Quickie meal of green salad with mustard vinaigrette and red beans and rice with ground beef - cut with cauliflower rice.

11 Likes

Steamed cod with ginger and soy, garlic bok choy, and rice/quinoa mix.

It always amazes me how long fresh vegetables from chinatown last vs. grocery store ones…

15 Likes

Hope to get home for good soon, and stop eating out so much…but tonight, yellowtail and toro.

Next stop; D.C.

11 Likes

So vibrant!

1 Like

Do you get your fish there ( in Chinatown) as well? My Asian market ( not quite the same; I know…) often has the best fish, but I don’t often try it.

No, I wonder about fish sourcing… with some vegetables, though, they are so much better that I’d rather have them fresh than organic. Also the variety - for example, mushrooms and greens in general. And I only go once in a while, it’s a trek for me.

2 Likes

Bok choy was on our dinner plates tonight as well. I really enjoy bok choy in soup.

4 Likes

Oooh, yes! I was reading some (semi crazy) vegan food blog and they took the entire brussel stalk after the sprouts were removed, split in half lengthwise, and roasted with olive oil/seasonings and referred to it as a vegan version of bone marrow! Ha!! Obvs not even kind of similar, but i was intrigued; apparently the innards become fairly soft and scoop-able. Haven’t tried it myself yet…

3 Likes